Energy Take 5.1 vs SVS SBS-02 5.0 & PB12-NSD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to upgrade my very old and weak 5.1 no name system with one of these 2 systems. Which system would you choose and why? Anyone had experience with both and could give me some feedback on sound signature would be great! I could either buy the Energies for $400 or buy the SVS 5.0 for $400 and get the PB12 later. Could you kind and experienced folk lead me in the right direction! Oh and btw, my room is 22x11x8. Thank you! smile.gif

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have heard the Energy Take classic and I have not heard the SVS. However, I will guess that the SVS speakers will sound much better- 6 inch woofers versus 3 inch! The sub that you get with the Energy Takes is not a strong sub, but may be okay for smaller rooms. The SVS speakers are NOT very sensitive (82 db, pretty poor), so make sure your AVR has alittle power.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 351
That's not even a fair fight. SVS all the way.

The only thing I'd worry about is the low 82db sensitivity of the SVS speakers. But as far as overall sound the SVS with a PB12 would blow the Energy Take Classics away .Of course a PB12 sub is almost $800 so you'd be comparing a $1200 setup vs a $400 setup. Is that really fair?

Afro GT
post #4 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I would throw this EMP tek sale out there for your consideration. These will be closer to the SVS speaker performance than the Energy, which is to say they will sound much fuller than satellite speakers. If you want decent sound for $400, I would say just upgrade your front stage speakers- your front left, right, and center. If you live near a Fry's, go get some Infinity Primus P363 towers, that will blow away all of these choices and they are on sale now for $110 each until thursday. Add to that a Primus c351. That would be a far more preferable setup and is only slightly more expensive.
post #5 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, this is why I posted this thread, lol! I saw the low 82db sensitivity and thought it may be a problem. I have a Yamaha AVR that I bought around 4 years ago, don't recall the model number. Perhaps its somewhere in here if I search my history when I spoke about it. I believe the Yamaha powers 90w per channel if my memory services me right. I REALLY want the SVS sub! Been wanting an SVS sub for quite some time! I was thinking perhaps getting the Energies for the time being which would be better than the set up currently and have them become my bedroom set up when I get the SVS sub and good speaker set to match it. Getting the Energies would push getting the SVS sub back a few months though, lol! Ahh, I don't know what to do at this point!

post #6 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I would throw this EMP tek sale out there for your consideration. These will be closer to the SVS speaker performance than the Energy, which is to say they will sound much fuller than satellite speakers. If you want decent sound for $400, I would say just upgrade your front stage speakers- your front left, right, and center. If you live near a Fry's, go get some Infinity Primus P363 towers, that will blow away all of these choices and they are on sale now for $110 each until thursday. Add to that a Primus c351. That would be a far more preferable setup and is only slightly more expensive.

Thanks for the recommendation!!

I should point out to you guys/gals that I REALLY WANT the SVS PB12 sub....so I'm looking for a good set of speakers to go with it!

post #7 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well you don't have to buy SVS speakers just because you REALLY WANT that sub.

Afro GT
post #8 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Well you don't have to buy SVS speakers just because you REALLY WANT that sub.

I know that. I just wanted to know from you guys if they were any good considering the price! I'm hoping that I could get a good set that isn't too big that will provide a fuller sound that won't break the bank! Am I reaching too far?!

post #9 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you can have tower speakers then jump on these Polk Monitor 60's which are currently $99 each with promo code EMCJJJG66
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

Free shipping and no tax for NYC residents.

It would also be nice if you knew what Yamaha receiver you own.

Afro GT
post #10 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you can have tower speakers then jump on these Polk Monitor 60's which are currently $99 each with promo code EMCJJJG66
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206
Free shipping and no tax for NYC residents.
It would also be nice if you knew what Yamaha receiver you own.

Wow, thats a great deal! I wish I had the room for them because I would absolutely jump on them at that price!

post #11 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post

I'm hoping that I could get a good set that isn't too big that will provide a fuller sound that won't break the bank! I'm I reaching to far?!

HTD Level Two bookshelves and center is a nice option for good sound.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker

NXG Pro 4.1 speakers can work as surrounds for a tight budget
http://www.amazon.com/Nxg-Pro-4-1-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B0044UHVOK

You can also buy Emptek speakers without their sub.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #12 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

HTD Level Two bookshelves and center is a nice option for good sound.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker
NXG Pro 4.1 speakers can work as surrounds for a tight budget
http://www.amazon.com/Nxg-Pro-4-1-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B0044UHVOK
You can also buy Emptek speakers without their sub.

Which are better, HTD or Emptek? Which of these two would provide a fuller, richer sound for movie and music? My current set up is horrible with music.

post #13 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Not sure though, but I think there's gotta be a printing error regarding to the SVS's sensivity of 82dB.
My front array comprises 3 x SCS-01 ( first model ), which are 87dB rated though. Just in case, I would e-mail SVS to cross-check such info:)

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #14 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I have seen at least 30 or 40 posts by unhappy owners of the Take Classic speakers.

The speakers are simply too small and the whole system is low-performance mickey-mouse stuff IMO.

I realize we are talking low price stuff here, but there is much better even for low prices.

The Martin-Logan MLT-2 is a good example; its drivers have twice the effective area and deliver much more sound, and the subwoofer is almost decent. The main speakers and center also have good sensitivity; 89 db/watt.

It is far better in every respect than any other system I have seen for its price. Amazon is currently selling it for under $300, which is $100 less than I have ever seen it for before; good price!

I don't see any system for under $500 that will deliver better overall sound.

Quote:

I'm looking to upgrade my very old and weak 5.1 no name system with one of these 2 systems. Which system would you choose and why? Anyone had experience with both and could give me some feedback on sound signature would be great! I could either buy the Energies for $400 or buy the SVS 5.0 for $400 and get the PB12 later. Could you kind and experienced folk lead me in the right direction! Oh and btw, my room is 22x11x8. Thank you! smile.gif
post #15 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

....It would also be nice if you knew what Yamaha receiver you own.

Yamaha RX-v661

post #16 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

There are better subs out there than the PB12. Some third party measurements were just released for the Power Sound Audio XV15, it absolutely owns the PB12 NSD, and it only costs $30 more shipped.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Not sure though, but I think there's gotta be a printing error regarding to the SVS's sensivity of 82dB.
My front array comprises 3 x SCS-01 ( first model ), which are 87dB rated though. Just in case, I would e-mail SVS to cross-check such info:)

Good to know and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I have seen at least 30 or 40 posts by unhappy owners of the Take Classic speakers.
The speakers are simply too small and the whole system is low-performance mickey-mouse stuff IMO.
I realize we are talking low price stuff here, but there is much better even for low prices.
The Martin-Logan MLT-2 is a good example; its drivers have twice the effective area and deliver much more sound, and the subwoofer is almost decent. The main speakers and center also have good sensitivity; 89 db/watt.
It is far better in every respect than any other system I have seen for its price. Amazon is currently selling it for under $300, which is $100 less than I have ever seen it for before; good price!
I don't see any system for under $500 that will deliver better overall sound.

Would these Martin-Logan speakers sound good for music? These may be my new front runners now!

post #18 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are better subs out there than the PB12. Some third party measurements were just released for the Power Sound Audio XV15, it absolutely owns the PB12 NSD, and it only costs $30 more shipped.

Damn you Shady!! You just threw a wrench in my plan, lol! j/k! Thanks for the heads up!! smile.gif Will def look into and consider it!

post #19 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to see how these subs compare, here is the link. Scroll down to the table that says CEA2010 MAX CLEAN RMS SUBWOOFER OUTPUT, and compare the numbers between the PB12 and Powersound XV15. Keep in mind that +3 db is a doubling in intensity (you would need twice the energy to achieve this) and +6db is twice the sound pressure, which is basically what would happen if bought two subs instead of one and placed them next to each other thereby maximizing their output. Look at 50 hz where the Xv15 has 9 db advantage against the PB12, this is a very big difference in output. The PB12 does match it at 20 to 25 hz, but gets clobbered everywhere else. Another sub you might consider in that price range is the Hsu VTF3 mk4, which will measure roughly like the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX on that chart, but probably does a bit better. It won't match the XV15's 50 hz output, but is likely close everywhere else.
post #20 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 14
I own a set of SBS-02's that I was using as a HT / 2ch setup. They are not very revealing and would be better suited for HT than strictly music. They sound better during loud playback and excel in HT (coupled with a Klipsch sub). I was driving these with a 3312CI at near reference volumes (between -4db and 0db) and they rock the house, plain and simple. At these volumes, music is actually decent and you can listen to them for long sessions since they are not fatiguing at all. You need a sub, these speakers don't put out much less than around 100hz usable. They also need to be toed in almost directly at the listener, otherwise the vocals lose their focus and the subtle sounds become too muted. In all, they are OK music speakers and do much better for HT.

I got these mostly to satisfy my curiousity since they were on sale for $150 a pair (plus I wanted a cheap 5.1 for a second room). I also picked up the $100 SCS-02 to use as a center channel. Dialog from this speaker isn't very clear either but I'm comparing a Def-Tech Mythos Ten with it so it's hardly a fair comparison. However, I don't think you can do better than the SVS at $150 a pair. These are now in my computer room as I have a small TV and a simple 5.1 setup in there.
post #21 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The PSA is a strong contender for sure, but it still looks to me like when the Outalaw EX1 is on sale it is one heck of a deal. Tough call between the PSA and Hsu VTF-3 MK4 with the variable tuning.

Some really good choices once you get to $800 shipped or so,
post #22 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I think they will sound as good for music listening as anything you can get at a comparable price; not too bad at all.

I am using some much more expensive gear for my music system, so I am spoiled...lol.

????Would these Martin-Logan speakers sound good for music? These may be my new front runners now![/quote]????
post #23 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, its been awhile since I've been doing any audio research but could anyone help me out in telling the difference between a ported sub and a sealed sub? I believe a ported sub digs deeper but a sealed sub is tighter and more articulate?! I'm looking at movie and music 50/50.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help! Much appreciated!

post #24 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I think they will sound as good for music listening as anything you can get at a comparable price; not too bad at all.
I am using some much more expensive gear for my music system, so I am spoiled...lol.
????Would these Martin-Logan speakers sound good for music? These may be my new front runners now!
????[/quote]

Thanks for suggesting them! smile.gif

post #25 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, its been awhile since I've been doing any audio research but could anyone help me out in telling the difference between a ported sub and a sealed sub? I believe a ported sub digs deeper but a sealed sub is tighter and more articulate?! I'm looking at movie and music 50/50.
Thank you all for your suggestions and help! Much appreciated!

This is roughly correct, ported subs will have stronger deep bass output. As for sealed sounding tighter, if everything else is equal, sealed subs out to sound a bit tighter, but that is rarely the case, so don't think that any of these ported subs we are discussing will sound bad or bloated or anything. I'm am sure they are more articulate than many sealed subs on the market.
post #26 of 26 Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is roughly correct, ported subs will have stronger deep bass output. As for sealed sounding tighter, if everything else is equal, sealed subs out to sound a bit tighter, but that is rarely the case, so don't think that any of these ported subs we are discussing will sound bad or bloated or anything. I'm am sure they are more articulate than many sealed subs on the market.

Took a look and have been reading all about the PSA XV15 and its a really sweet sub! Looks like I found my new sub! Thanks for your help!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page