Definitive Technology SR-8040BP Thumbs Up Review! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I wanted to post a quick review and thumbs up for the DT SR-8040BP bipolar surround speakers. I have been a consumer of surround equipment for about 20 years. I have had almost every mid level brand of every component in a surround system over the time. I generally dabble in the "mid level consumer to "high end consumer" level of products. I was not brand loyal but DT is making me a brand loyalist. I do not have time to state my previous brands/models/etc. I wanted to give you a quick "review" of these surrounds....

I can sum up the review in a few statements............

I have had a few "watershed" moments in my audio/video experiences such as:

-My first time seeing and listening to DVD VS. VHS or laser disc.. It was epic. (Sorry.....DVD to Blu-Ray was not as epic to me as some of my other experiences.....as far as video goes.)

-My first time seeing HD broadcast OTA vs. Analog or cable. (yes...it was PBS but the roadshow still rocked!)

-My first time listening to the Definitive Tech. Bipolar surrounds

Yes....They are that good! install them properly, set them up properly with your equipment and be awestruck!

Thank you, Thank You, Thank You DT. I never knew what I was missing for over a decade!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice, glad you like them. Do you have Def Tech all around? Do you have them on stands or the back or side walls? I have bpvx surrounds on the side walls. They are ok but I think mounting on the wall affects the sound some...
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I NOW have def. tech. all around.....with another sub. My surrounds are mounted on the wall but it is unfair to state that......I have tray ceilings and for my arrangement the def. tech. surrounds are in a perfect position and I get the best of both back wall placement and side wall placement. It is hard to expain but their mounting location gives me both.........
post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM

What models do you have for your full system?

And it's funny that you posted this review because I just finished a proposal for a client with these as the front R/L

DefTech is typically my "go-to" HT brand. I feel that the emphasis on the low ends give that extra umph needed during movies while not diminishing clarity of voice and such.

Antoine Snow | System Designer
asnow@magnoliaav.com
http://www.magnoliaav.com

I don't know everything...but I love what I do and am willing to learn from all of you

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Audio/Video, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have two setups for Front L, C, R. My original toe dip in the water with Definitive was a used set of BP7006. I got a steal on two left versions. I had these with a Pro Center 2000 center channel with some Klipsch surrounds for years and loved it.

When I moved into my new home I purchased a pair of BP8060's and the new HD center. I cannot recall the exact modelname and it is still in the box because it came after my install. I still use the Pro Center 2000 with the 8060's. I feel it matches them well for my use. My wife insisted on no wall mount in the location we chose and I like the angle on the pro center for imaging, Especially with the low stance of the 70" TV that we use (and bought to replace or 60")

I also purchased the 8040's but they came late and I was lazy to install them for a a couple of months. I also purchased an IW10 and matching amp to go across the room behind some of the seating area and a very nice Integra receiver to tie it all together. I did extensive work/prep to the wall and surrounding area for the inwall and love the results and how everything matches sonically without any boom. Every seat in the room gets great coverage and I can listen quietly or rattle the walls from the lowest to highest octave. I have to say, while the IW10 is an engineering marvel, I feel without my modifications to the wall and room behind it I would have been very dissapointed with its performance if I would have just stuck it in the wall and amped it up.

I now have the BP7006's in another room with a Denon receiver pulling music only duty and love them just as much as the day I bought them. To be honest, If I had to do it all over again, the BP7006's are almost as good as the 8060's but they do not have quite as much punch and low end that the 8060's have but I'm not sure what is missing is worth the price paid IMHO. Even for two lefts, these things are better than great..actually they are pretty awesome.

Once I talk the wife into automatic window blinds I will setup the entire system on another wall in the room and go with a wall mount and closet mount all the components. I will then install the HD center at that time and utilize my back rear or front wide setup in the receiver too. In the meantime, I love my setup and as said in my first ever review of anything, enjoy the entire system and especially the surrounds....They truly are best choice for anyone at any price!
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Sounds like a fantastic system...and I have a couple of buddies who caught the 7006s at a low price and snagged them...I think someone has 3!

And I opt to look at Lutron for shades and lighting...

asnow@magnoliaav.com

I don't know everything...but I love what I do and am willing to learn from all of you

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Audio/Video, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMAV View Post

Sounds like a fantastic system...and I have a couple of buddies who caught the 7006s at a low price and snagged them...I think someone has 3!
And I opt to look at Lutron for shades and lighting...

I never thought about three 7006's. That would be an awesome LCR setup but would probably only make sense in a projection setup. It has my wheels turning though :-)

I will look at Lutron. I didn't know they did shades. Our home is what my wife calls a "tree house" We walk into the house from a level front yard but if you walk out the back door it is a 25' drop. The wall across from the location I want to put the TV is nothing but picture windows showcasing the view from the back. We didn't even put up any window dressings. If I move the TV the adjacent wall I want auto blinds to block the light during viewing but want to keep the blinds up the rest of the time.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM

You could do a couple of things there, but the one that jumps out at me is to do Lutron Shades with a Graphic Eye controller piece that will be able to control lighting/shades whatever you decide to integrate. That way you can set it so that one of the set functions is to lower the shades.

If you decided to use an actual control system (C4/Crestron/AMX) you can have it tie in and set a trigger so that when you turn on your system the blinds close.

asnow@magnoliaav.com

Reply Speakers

Tags
Definitive Technology Sr 8040bp Ea Bipolar Surround Speaker
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page