What would you do? - 3 in-ceiling speakers or L/R (no center) in-walls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to the design of my entertainment wall, I can either do 3 in-ceiling speakers or a left/right in-wall speaker setup. There is no room for an in-wall center channel. I'm torn because I've read all the pros/cons of not going with a center channel, as well as the forums of in-walls vs in-ceilings. There will be rear in-ceilings either way.

So, if it were you, which set up would you choose?
1. 3-in ceiling speakers (left/right/center)
OR
2. 2-L/R in-wall speakers.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How about a combo - I did in-walls for the L&R and in-ceiling (with angled woofer and directional tweeter) for the center. It's not perfect, but I'm very satisfied with the high quality speakers I chose.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

How about a combo - I did in-walls for the L&R and in-ceiling (with angled woofer and directional tweeter) for the center. It's not perfect, but I'm very satisfied with the high quality speakers I chose.

This is definitely a better approach than either of the original suggestions...

...but the situation begs the question, why did you design an entertainment wall without room for a centre speaker?

post #4 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

I know in my case I originally had a center speaker mounted on the wall above the TV before I upgraded my system and then moved the center to the ceiling since I plan to add a PJ and drop down screen someday. I do not want to use an AT screen given my ambient light issues and desire for good picture quality.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:

That's a great suggestion. Sonance, from my recollection, have one or two in-ceiling speakers with directional tweeters and angled woofers that have to be set about 3 ft away from the wall because they use the wall to project the sound outward. You could also do something like DefTech in-walls for the L/R and then something like a Mythos center that lays flat on the wall (not the slimmest but not the bulkiest) as opposed to having to be in-wall.

Antoine Snow | System Designer
asnow@magnoliaav.com
http://www.magnoliaav.com

I don't know everything...but I love what I do and am willing to learn from all of you

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Audio/Video, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer
post #6 of 8 Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

SnowMAV, I would not recommend mixing speaker types/brands in the front stage. You really want to have a consistent "timber match" by selecting speakers from products consisting of the same materials/build quality. Timber matching becomes less important when choosing surrounds.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2012, 09:12 AM

I know that's the general rule of thumb but I will say that I've heard it mixed and as long as its a quality speaker it doesn't sound awful and depending on what you mixed its only slightly noticeable. But you're right...

Antoine Snow | System Designer
asnow@magnoliaav.com
http://www.magnoliaav.com

I don't know everything...but I love what I do and am willing to learn from all of you

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Audio/Video, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer
post #8 of 8 Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
OP, what is your budget? Not all in-ceiling speakers are built the same and some can give you better sound than others. I would recommend looking for in-ceiling speakers for your mains that have an angled woofer/tweeter design and not just the pivoting tweeter design:

Something like one of the below:
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icb8lcr.html

http://www.episodespeakers.com/product/49/Episode-700-Series-Home-Theater-In-Ceiling-LCR-Speaker

They typically cost more, but with in-ceiling LCR speakers, you often get what you pay for. You can probably find the Deftech's online for about $350 per speaker if you look at the UIW RCS III model.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page