I have a couple questions on my Home Theatre setup (with picture)... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that my setup is not ideal (whose is) but at the same time, it is quite unorthodox. It does work quite well, and I ran the Audyessey setup to make it sound even better. However, are there any suggestions or comments about it that one would like to share?

One question I would like to know is that the 2 rear and 1 right surround speakers are mounted to the wall, while the 1 left surround speaker is on a bookshelf slightly lower than the height of the mounted speakers (about 1.5-2 feet). Is this something that is a major issue, or is it useable with the Audyessey setup?

The equipment I am using is:

Denon AVR-2113ci

Samsung UN55D6900

2X Energy CF-70 Front Floor Speakers
1X Energy CC-10 Center Speaker
4X Energy CB-5 Surround Speakers
1X Klipsch 10" 450 Watt Subwoofer

Everything is hooked up through the Denon, and is hooked up to a Directv Genie Dvr and all the modern video game systems.

My friend also mentioned to me that a 5.1 setup might actually be better than the 7.1, so I'd like an opinion on that as well. Since I already had the extra 2 speakers and a receiver that can handle it, I figured I might as well put it to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
your layout should work....I think you will end up rotating your "front 3" slightly to aim at the prime position. Just experiment with the surrounds and whether or not to use the rears (7.1). It your listening experiences that will matter in the long run, and every room is different when it comes to acoustics.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
If you went to 5.1, would you be moving the speakers to another location? Are two of the surrounds of dramatically inferior quality? If not, and assuming you're not driving your speakers to clipping w/ 7 channels (most likely you're not), then the 5.1/7.1's probably not an issue.

In regards to the 1 speaker being lower and not on a wall, it's probably not going to be much of an issue. Audyssey doesn't remap your speaker locations (a la Trinnov) but a small difference isn't going to be that much of an issue, especially if both speakers are above your seated height. The bass response may be different between the wall mounted and on shelf speaker, due to different boundary reinforcement, but Audyssey will help with that some.

The main issues I noticed when looking at your diagram is with your front soundstage. Being jammed into a corner, providing different distances between your listening position and each speaker (you look to be closer to your left than your right), and having the right speaker so close to a sidewall could affect imaging and frequency response. Can you shift the front speakers/TV to the left? If not, have you thought about having the system angled towards you?

from
| ............_ ___ _
|
|
|
|______________

to

| ...................\
|......................\
|........................\
|
|__________________

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page