Home theater for ~$1,000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am upgrading the home system. Still researching a TV but will be 60"-65". I was initially thinking of a standard HTIB to replace the old Sony HTIB I have. I am still open to that idea but think I would be better served with a receiver and speakers. I have a play station I can use for blue ray or can always get a separate blue ray.

I see onkyo has a nice Receiver speaker combo that gets good reviews.

Any other suggestions? My room is about 15x15 although it's a great room so one side is open toward the kitchen. The living room area is 15x15 though. Couch is against back wall.

What I like about HTIB is the tower speakers for front. I would mind mounting some smaller front speakers but medium sized speakers aren't the easiest to arrange with my setup. I alo would like wireless rears.

I consider myself fairly technologically savvy but I am definitely at a loss when it comes to audio. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Good wireless rear speakers can be expensive, and cheap ones don't always work well. So here are some non-wireless speaker options in case you can make them work.

Emptek has a nice 5.1 speaker package that comes with a sub.

The Pioneer speaker series available at Best Buy is a good one (only get a different sub). Here's a thread about them: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point

The Polk Monitor60s are $100 ea at Newegg (promo code EMCJJJG66,). Pair them with the Monitor40 (or Monitor 30) and CS2 center (also at Newegg).

Then a BIC F12 sub would work well with either the Pioneers or Polks, and spend the rest of your budget on a receiver: Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, or Yamaha.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

cel4145 I have researched your suggestions and they seem great. Trying to get advice in the store is useless, so I am glad I found this forum.
If the budget moved up to $1,500 would you still suggest the same? Or is there a next step up you suggest, or does the next step involve a big chunk of money?

Maybe my next question is best for the receiver forum, but do you have one you suggest. I know the brands you recommend are the way to go. Are there certain options I should look for.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
At $100 ea, the Polk Monitor60s are a very good deal. I don't think they have been that low in price for awhile. The Polk Monitors are equivalent to the Polk TSi series that Best Buy sells. They are just different cosmetically. Real bargain buying from Newegg.

Do you do a lot of gaming? Do you like action movies? I'm biased toward good subs for their bass extension, SQ, and output. Adds realism when the explosion feels like an explosion, not just a rumble throughout your room. The BIC F12 is very much a budget HT sub. You would get much better bass out of higher class of sub and improve the HT and gaming experience. Something like the HSU VFT-2 MK4. You would also benefit from the more powerful sub given that your living room is part of a larger open floor plan.

For receivers, one of the features to look at is room correction software. Audyssey MultiEQ or better (not 2EQ) on Denon and Onkyo, and the version of Yamaha's YPAO that is listed as "multi point" on their specs. Those versions EQ the speakers and the sub. Other room correction software only EQs the speakers, and subs can use a lot of help in a room. Here's an overview of MultiEQ. Good room correction software really does improve the SQ of your entire setup. You will definitely appreciate the difference.

Otherwise, pick the receiver that has features that interests you. There's minimal gains in worrying about the wattage between versions (doesn't impact output as much as people assume). Do you want to play the music from your computer? iPhone/iPad? Android phone? For example, there are different networking and connections features for music streaming that are nice.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Good spot for receivers: http://www.accessories4less.com/
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Best Buy earlier to compare the Pioneer and Polk. I thought the Polk were way better, and a much cleaner case as well. Ordering now from newegg. Those deals are excellent. Debating on the monitor 30s or 40s. The 40s are only $10 more, so seems like the way to go, although are they really going to be that much better for rears? The 30s have a rear hole to mount whereas the 40s don't. Meaning I guess i would need a shelf to place them on?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Good wireless rear speakers can be expensive, and cheap ones don't always work well. So here are some non-wireless speaker options in case you can make them work.
Emptek has a nice 5.1 speaker package that comes with a sub.
The Pioneer speaker series available at Best Buy is a good one (only get a different sub). Here's a thread about them: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point
The Polk Monitor60s are $100 ea at Newegg (promo code EMCJJJG66,). Pair them with the Monitor40 (or Monitor 30) and CS2 center (also at Newegg).
Then a BIC F12 sub would work well with either the Pioneers or Polks, and spend the rest of your budget on a receiver: Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, or Yamaha.

im having trouble deciding on the Polks and Pioneers...ive been going back and forth on brands and budget past few days and this is it, either the pioneer fs52 or the polk monitor 60...the newegg deal makes it that much tougher to decide...any way of helping me out with a decision...
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Have you listened to both? I was at bestbuy and heard the two. They didn't have the best setup but for me it was a clear choice. The Polk win. Aside from that the finish level of the Polk look a lot nicer. I don't claim to be any audiophile though.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrayreef View Post

Have you listened to both? I was at bestbuy and heard the two. They didn't have the best setup but for me it was a clear choice. The Polk win. Aside from that the finish level of the Polk look a lot nicer. I don't claim to be any audiophile though.

i'll have to make my way to best buy and listen for myself
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page