Klipsch RW-12D Owner's / settings Help!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I've been looking for hours about the proper setting for Klipsch RW-12D. I though there was a thread talking about a few different settings to try and see, which one works best, but I can't find it.

My current set up:

AVR: Onky HT-R960 (will be replace in a few months)
Front: Monitor 70's
Center: Klipsch synergy 1 (Polk Audio CS2 will be on order next month)
Surround: Jamo S426 (towers pair)
Surround back: Pioneer BS21 (pair)
Sub: Klipsch RW-12D

Sub current settings: Volume at 60%, Crossover 120 hz, Phase "Punch, at 180 deg.

I ran Audyssey, and the dB's is at -15 db in my AVR. I am going to lower the volume for the sub, and run Audyssey again to try to get the AVR's dB's close to 0 dBs as possible. However, I am not sure what to do with the subs crossover? Turn it off and let the AVR do all the work?

If anyone else has the same sub as me, what settings are you using. Thanks.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Let the AVR do all of the crossover, and 80Hz is a good place to start.
Yes turn the volume down, start at 1/4 volume it usually takes way less than you expect.
The sub has different sound modes, that change the frequency response.
That will be a personal preference thing, my sub works differently but I have it set for the lowest frequency extension.
I think the jazz setting does that on the Klipsch, but you might like the harder punch that the movie setting gives you.
Once you have the volume on the sub set so the auto cal sets the trim to 0 +/-3 don't adjust the volume on the sub anymore, if you want it louder adjust the channel trim in the AVR.
Seems like you are more or less on track, don't get frustrated, once you have it dialed in you will never have to mess with it again unless you move the sub.

Regards,
Charlie

post #3 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

Let the AVR do all of the crossover, and 80Hz is a good place to start.
Yes turn the volume down, start at 1/4 volume it usually takes way less than you expect.
The sub has different sound modes, that change the frequency response.
That will be a personal preference thing, my sub works differently but I have it set for the lowest frequency extension.
I think the jazz setting does that on the Klipsch, but you might like the harder punch that the movie setting gives you.
Once you have the volume on the sub set so the auto cal sets the trim to 0 +/-3 don't adjust the volume on the sub anymore, if you want it louder adjust the channel trim in the AVR.
Seems like you are more or less on track, don't get frustrated, once you have it dialed in you will never have to mess with it again unless you move the sub.

Thanks, I will play with it this weekend. I am not frustrated. I am in love with my new sub, and I think my wife is getting jealous. However, my current settings are overwhelming for my wife lol. She says its too loud, but that's nonsense biggrin.gif

One of the issues that I've got from my current AVR is that is doesn't have the speaker setting for LARGE or SMALL nor 80 Hz setting. I've got the Onky HT-R960, which is from a HTIB HT-9100THX, which will be getting replaced soon for a nicer networked AVR.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #4 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Set the crossover to the max then let the receiver do the bass management.

If you got -15db then the sub volume is way too high. Like was said above set it about 1/4 volume, then run Audyssey again.

Good luck.

Afro GT
post #5 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Set the crossover to the max then let the receiver do the bass management.
If you got -15db then the sub volume is way too high. Like was said above set it about 1/4 volume, then run Audyssey again.
Good luck.

I will try this when everyone is awake. My kids and wife are still asleep. Damn holidays!!! I currently have the crossover at 120 Hz, which is the max. I'll lower the volume to probably -10. I was reading some other thread, which I can't find anymore about having the "Low Pass OFF LEF Mode"? However, I couldn't find why they recommend that. Anyone?

Home Theater Set Up:

post #6 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Hummm, the AVR has a sub out but no crossover setting.
Since it is from a HTIB it may very well be tailored to the speakers that came with it.

Yes set the Klipsch cr.ossover to the highest setting or bypass if available.

I greatly prefer the way a system sounds when the sub is well integrated with the speakers.
When the sub is more than a couple dB hot I think it becomes very distracting.
Many here disagree and run multiple subs (set hot) in rooms much smaller than mine, but if that makes them happy that is great.

Regards,
Charlie

post #7 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since it is from a HTIB it may very well be tailored to the speakers that came with it.
I greatly prefer the way a system sounds when the sub is well integrated with the speakers.
Many here disagree and run multiple subs (set hot) in rooms much smaller than mine, but if that makes them happy that is great.

Yeah, I started noticing that the HT-R960 was tailor for the speakers it came with. That's the reason why I am going to replace it.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #8 of 48 Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

You only need the sub out. The crossover is configured when you run Audyssey and you'll see it in the parameter settings when done. I'm not familiar with that particular receiver though, nor do I know much about Audyssey 2EQ. My Denon's use MultEQ or MultEQ XT which is a higher level or Audyssey calibration than 2EQ on your Onkyo.

Afro GT
post #9 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,

I have a Denon 2312 and for some reason my sub isn't putting out. When I ran audyssey even though I had volume on the sub set to about 55% it gave only a moderate "thump-thump-thump". When I checked the settings after the fact it said it was detecting my rw-12d at 23 feet away, even though it's right next to my front right speaker, ~10 feet away.

This is my first sub, so I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong before I jump to any conclusion I got a lemon sub. Can anybody help me troubleshoot?

I have the sub cable going from Sub Pre-out to (Left) in
Tried having phase at 0 and at 180, lowpass at 40hz and 120hz, nothing's working.
post #10 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskyred View Post

Hey,
I have a Denon 2312 and for some reason my sub isn't putting out. When I ran audyssey even though I had volume on the sub set to about 55% it gave only a moderate "thump-thump-thump". When I checked the settings after the fact it said it was detecting my rw-12d at 23 feet away, even though it's right next to my front right speaker, ~10 feet away.
This is my first sub, so I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong before I jump to any conclusion I got a lemon sub. Can anybody help me troubleshoot?
I have the sub cable going from Sub Pre-out to (Left) in
Tried having phase at 0 and at 180, lowpass at 40hz and 120hz, nothing's working.

Increase the volume to 80%, set all other speakers to small run Audyssey again.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #11 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Before setting sub to 80% volume, check to see what the auto cal set the subwoofer channel trim to.
The target value is 0dB, if the auto cal set it to a value lower than -3dB you need to lower the volume control on the sub (if the trim was set greater than +3dB then you need to increase the volume control on the sub).
Don't worry abut the subwoofer distance setting, the calibration uses distance to match delay and phase to the main speakers.
A good place to start is with all speakers set to small and the crossover for all speakers set to 80Hz.
The sub has several sound modes, for best low frequency extension I think Jazz is the right choice and for extra kick the Movie setting is best.
On the sub set the low pass to bypass and if does not have that set it to the highest frequency available, the AVR will manage the crossover.

Regards,
Charlie

post #12 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Before setting sub to 80% volume, check to see what the auto cal set the subwoofer channel trim to.
The target value is 0dB, if the auto cal set it to a value lower than -3dB you need to lower the volume control on the sub (if the trim was set greater than +3dB then you need to increase the volume control on the sub).
Don't worry abut the subwoofer distance setting, the calibration uses distance to match delay and phase to the main speakers.
A good place to start is with all speakers set to small and the crossover for all speakers set to 80Hz.
The sub has several sound modes, for best low frequency extension I think Jazz is the right choice and for extra kick the Movie setting is best.
On the sub set the low pass to bypass and if does not have that set it to the highest frequency available, the AVR will manage the crossover.

Here are the settings Audyssey applied:

Speaker config:
Front - Large
Center - Small
Subwoofer - Yes
Surround - Small

Distance Check:
Front L - 10.8 feet
Front R - 11.1 feet
Center - 11.3 feet
Subwoofer - 27.3 feet
Surround L - 7.3 feet
Surround R - 8.1 feet

Channel Level Check:
Front L - 6.0dB
Front R - 5.5dB
Center - 5.5dB
Subwoofer - 12.0dB

Crossover Freq. Check:
Front - Full Band
Center - 60Hz
Surround - 60Hz
post #13 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskyred View Post

Here are the settings Audyssey applied:
Speaker config:
Front - Large
Center - Small
Subwoofer - Yes
Surround - Small
Distance Check:
Front L - 10.8 feet
Front R - 11.1 feet
Center - 11.3 feet
Subwoofer - 27.3 feet
Surround L - 7.3 feet
Surround R - 8.1 feet
Channel Level Check:
Front L - 6.0dB
Front R - 5.5dB
Center - 5.5dB
Subwoofer - 12.0dB
Crossover Freq. Check:
Front - Full Band
Center - 60Hz
Surround - 60Hz

Ok the subwoofer at -12 is telling you that the calibration applied the maximum attenuation available attempting to level match the sub to the rest of the speakers.
You need to lower the volume on the sub, I would try 20% and run the cal again.
The goal is for the cal to set the sub at 0dB, you only need to do a single location calibration right now, you will adjust the sub volume and run the cal until you get between -3dB and +3dB.
When you get this dialed in don't adjust the volume on the subwoofer any more. If you want it louder adjust the channel trim in the AVR. Assuming you hit 0db exactly the AVR can increase the sub output 12dB which is huge. If you adjust the volume control on the sub you lose your reference.
Once you get the sub level matched you can run the multi location calibration if you want to.
After the calibration set all speakers to small and all crossovers to 80Hz.
This will be your baseline setup to compare any changes you want to try too.

My brother has a Denon and he likes the dynamic EQ and dynamic volume, I don't prefer that for myself but it is a feature you can check out for yourself.

Regards,
Charlie

post #14 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Here are the settings it applied after:

Speaker config:
Front - Large
Center - Small
Subwoofer - yes
Surround - small

Distance check:
Front L - 10.1 feet
Front R - 10.5 feet
Center - 10.7 feet
Subwoofer - 17.9 feet
Surround L - 7.3 feet
Surround R - 8.0 feet

Channel level check:
Front L - 6.0dB
Front R - 5.0dB
Center - 4.0dB
Subwoofer +5.5dB

Crossover Freq Check:
Front - Full band
Center - 60Hz
Surround - 60Hz
post #15 of 48 Old 12-24-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, increase the sub volume a little bit and run the cal again.
Target is 0dB and +/- 3 is OK.

Regards,
Charlie

post #16 of 48 Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 AM

Still working on dialing it in, had to break with the holidays, but I can definitely say that with the last settings I posted, the sub is not defective and it was me. I watched Prometheus and there is some serious bass in the early part of the film. Thanks for the help, I'll post again once I have it all dialed in biggrin.gif

I am finding it can be hard to understand dialogue on some HD programming but blu rays are fine. Have to tweak the center speaker I guess?
post #17 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 27
Hey guys, so my klipsch rw12d is being delivered today and I was wondering if you have any suggestions on my settings with my system. I am new to the home theater tech stuff and need some pointers. Got a pioneer vsx-1021k avr, fluance floor standing and rears(avhtb series) and accoustech pl-26 center. I don't totally understand everything about crossover and what the +/- db's actually mean so some advice would be sweet! Sorry to sound so dumb haha, just recently got very into building a home theater and been trying to upgrade. Any help would be awesome!

Mike Clough #24
post #18 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM

Also left out my avr does have the mcacc setup mic so I previously just ran that and left all the settings were they were, along with a polk psw10 with volume at 50% and low pass around 40% and phase 0.

Mike Clough #24
post #19 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 View Post

Hey guys, so my klipsch rw12d is being delivered today and I was wondering if you have any suggestions on my settings with my system. I am new to the home theater tech stuff and need some pointers. Got a pioneer vsx-1021k avr, fluance floor standing and rears(avhtb series) and accoustech pl-26 center. I don't totally understand everything about crossover and what the +/- db's actually mean so some advice would be sweet! Sorry to sound so dumb haha, just recently got very into building a home theater and been trying to upgrade. Any help would be awesome!

Usually people set all the speakers to small at 80hz crossover.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #20 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 14
I ran the YPAO last night and it set my RW12D at 26 feet, even though it was only 14-15 feet away. I went and manually changed the distance, set the decibel reading to +4.0 and the XO on the AVR is 90mhz and the LP on the RW12D is also at 90mhz. Still playing with it though. I have my fronts set to small, actually all fronts are set to small. My LR fronts can go to 61mhz. Not sure if it's right, but like I said, still playing around with the settings. Sounds pretty good...I think it can be better.
post #21 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will say. You don't want to change the distance setting as it is taking into account sound delays and such so leave it where the reciever sets it. Also turn the lpf off and the crossover off and set the phase to zero on the sub, then run the correction and change your speakers to small and set the crossover in the receiver to 80. I say all this with only the knowledge of using AudysseyXT on a Denon receiver, but I do have 2 RW12-D subs and that is what i did. hopefully this helps.

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Denon 2113ci
Panasonic DMP-BDT220P
Ascend CMT-340SE L/R
Ascend CMT-340SE Center
Ascend CBM-170SE Surrounds
Klipsch RW12-D x 2
post #22 of 48 Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sorry to contribute nothing, but good LORD, that is one seriously mismatched system. Damn.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #23 of 48 Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Sorry to contribute nothing, but good LORD, that is one seriously mismatched system. Damn.

You referring to mine? Lol just got rid of my psw10 polk, and upgrading one piece of equipment at a time.

Mike Clough #24
post #24 of 48 Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Hi Guys,
I'm new here and was looking for some expert opinions on what's wrong with my RW-12D and possible fixes. Here is my set up:

Refurb Denon AVR -2113CI
Pioneer SP-FS52 towers, SP-C22 center, SP-BS22-LR surrounds (great deal on these, BB price matched TigerDirect for under $400 for all w/ taxes!)
RW-12D

I've ran this setup through Audyssey MultEQ XT, and while the speakers made loud chirps, the sub only had a very faint thump, thump, thump. Like someone kicking the wall very lightly, barely audible.

I looked at the settings after and the distance seemed right, and the level was -5.5 db.

I've played music on CD, FM, and a BD and have not heard the "shaking the pictures off the wall" that I was expecting. I can put my hand on the cone and fell it moving ever so slightly, but not anywhere near where it should. When I played the BD, I didn't even think the sub was working.

I have tried the following:
set speakers to small, turned off crossover on sub, turned volume down on sub to 50%, changed RCA cables in case that was it, turned crossover to all speakers at 80.

I plan on resetting the AVR's microprocessor when I get home, hoping that helps.

Any other suggestions?
post #25 of 48 Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Could partially be the location is not good for the sub. Have you tried any of the bass heavy scenes from these 4 to 5 star movies?

post #26 of 48 Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM

I just got done with Expendables 2, and the bass just wasn't what I was looking for. The room is fairly large, 10' x 20' with 9' ceiling, then opens to 12' x 12'. Viewing area is in the narrow part with the sub up front between the tower and center, seating is 13' back.

We just moved into the new place and this is my first attempt at a HT, all other experiences were just tv speakers, so this is still an upgrade. But I just feel the sub is not delivering what it should, even with music I hear more bass in my car with factory speakers.

I just want to hear it thump, and from other reviews it seems like it should be.
post #27 of 48 Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM

The Audessy MultEQ XT (Denon AVR-1713) specifically tells me to set sub volume at 50%. Also the distance isn't really distance but delay for response. A large distance means that the receiver needs to send the subwoofer signal earlier so that the sound is heard at the correct time. This may vary with receiver and sub (and presumably cable length?).

Make sure the sub is set to always on and NOT auto-on.
post #28 of 48 Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I would suggest doing the sub crawl. See if when you do that if there are other spots in your room that the sub would sound better to the listening position. Even if the positions where it excels are places that you don't want to put the sub, that would still tell you if the sub placement location is the problem. The location can make a HUGE difference.

post #29 of 48 Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I would suggest doing the sub crawl.

I'm going to try this tonight. I'm also going to try hooking it up directly to the TV to rule out the receiver being the issue.
post #30 of 48 Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon024 View Post

I'm going to try this tonight. I'm also going to try hooking it up directly to the TV to rule out the receiver being the issue.

Were you able to improve it?

Energy RC-70s (2) | Energy RC-LCR | Energy CB-5s (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Pioneer VSX-1020K | Samsung UN65F8000 | PS3 | PS4 | Apple TV (2nd gen) | DirecTV HR34 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Subwoofers , Speaker Systems , Onkyo Ht S9100thx 7 1 Channel Receiver And Speaker Package
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page