If you had a $5k budget... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
... and you had to purchase 5 speakers (going to be a 5.1 setup, but the sub isn't in the $5k budget), and your primary usage was for movies/games, with some sports/tv as well and then music as the last priority, what would you purchase?

Right now I am leaning towards purchasing a B&W setup - CM9's for front, CMC2 for center, and CM5 for surrounds.

I initially wanted to purchase the Klipsch RF7 II's, RC64 II, and RS62 II and went and demo'd it at someone's personal HT, and did enjoy it a lot although noticing the horn.

I then went and demo'd some more speakers at a store before I was to make my decision - B&W, Monitor, and Golden Ear (and the RF7's again at this store for comparison purposes).

After hearing those, I started to lean towards the B&W setup. While I wasn't too impressed with the Golden Ear or Monitor speakers (compared to the other 2), I overall liked the sound of the B&W better, and after listening to the RF7's for a while I was wondering if that horn would bother me after a 2 hour movie. I was starting to get that minor piercing feeling in my temple from the high-pitch horn in the Klipsch. In general I'm very sensitive to high pitched things. So putting all of that together, my current front runner is that B&W setup.

I am planning on possibly making the purchase this weekend since I have some time off of work and it is a long weekend. However before I make the plunge on a $5k purchase, I did want to hear some other opinions on speakers that others think could out-do my current front runner in the movie/gaming department. This does have to be something I can demo locally (I'm in the DMV area) since I'm not going to spend $5k without hearing them beforehand (duh!).

So does anyone else have any other suggestions that I should try to find and demo?

I also feel that I'm at the point that no matter what I do purchase, I'm going to be extremely happy with it. It's like trying to pick between 3-4 different hot chicks - either way you come out a winner!

I just hope I'm not overthinking my decision with all of this questioning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't know if Paradigm were on your list, but you might be able to pick up some Monitor 9s, Center 3, Surround 3s and a nice sub for under 5k. Maybe even get some Surround 1s. What receiver are you using?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I would say B&W, Revel, KEF.

I would aim for 10-20% discount from MSRP.

For example, going with my 20% off, the KEF R700 x 2 = $2900; KEF R300 x 3 = $1900; total $4800.

But if you like B&W the best after you listened to Revel, KEF, Focal, Dynaudio, and everything else, then buy the B&W.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We currently use James Loudspeakers and love them. Really like the look of the new QX series. Let your ears make the decission. Have fun...

http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/index.cfm?page=by_series&id=32

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #5 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus View Post

Don't know if Paradigm were on your list, but you might be able to pick up some Monitor 9s, Center 3, Surround 3s and a nice sub for under 5k. Maybe even get some Surround 1s. What receiver are you using?

Well I'm not looking to put the sub in the $5k budget. I'm probably going to be spending an additional $2k - $3k on a good sub setup after I get these.

I'm going to be powering these with a Denon 4311ci.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I would say B&W, Revel, KEF.
I would aim for 10-20% discount from MSRP.
But if you like B&W the best after you listened to Revel, KEF, Focal, Dynaudio, and everything else, then buy the B&W.

I just found a place that is fairly local that has Revel and Paradigm:

http://evolutionav.com/evoupgrade/new/

I am going to check them out on Friday most likely and will see how those compare to the B&W. I found a place locally that is listed from the Kef website and just gave them a call to see if they have a showroom, however they did not pick up so I left them a message.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Well I'm not looking to put the sub in the $5k budget. I'm probably going to be spending an additional $2k - $3k on a good sub setup after I get these.
I'm going to be powering these with a Denon 4311ci.
I just found a place that is fairly local that has Revel and Paradigm:
http://evolutionav.com/evoupgrade/new/
I am going to check them out on Friday most likely and will see how those compare to the B&W. I found a place locally that is listed from the Kef website and just gave them a call to see if they have a showroom, however they did not pick up so I left them a message.

Yes, compare Revel and KEF to the B&W.

And I think the Denon 4311 will have no issues powering these speakers. No problems at all.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
http://www.jsaudio.com/

they have dynaudio that AcuDefTechGuy mentioned above and should be pretty close to you too.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #8 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

http://www.jsaudio.com/
they have dynaudio that AcuDefTechGuy mentioned above and should be pretty close to you too.

Ah cool thanks for that. They are about 15 minutes from me. I'll definitely check them out as well thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
PSB Imagines should be on your list to audition. You should also checkout the Salk HT2-TL and the Salk Supercharged Song tower and center. I would also try to audition Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Kef R700s w/R600 center and R300 surrounds would be incredible.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page