Dynaudio Focus 380 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Dear friends,

I have Dynaudio speakers Focus 380, I have them for about half a year, I didn't use them very much, maximum about 50 hours. My problems is the they sound a bit anemic and without passion. I have Ayon Orion amp and Ayon CD1.
Does anyone have some suggestion how to give this speakers a bit more life?

Thank you for any suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
have you tried tube rolling? Different tubes tend to give you a different sound. Maybe some EL34s for that warm lush sound, although you might lose some power at the low-end. Perhaps you could add a stereo amp to give the speakers more power then what that Ayon is giving as well as a tube change?

I heard the 380s with Audio Research gear and it sounded fantastic. One thing tho, and Im sure you know, is that Dyns typically try not to impart much of their own sound on the music. Sure they have a little warmth, but pretty neutral overall. If all you components are neutral then it could sound boring.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #3 of 10 Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
50 hours or less may not be enough to break them in. Most Dynaudio owners will tell you that after a certain amount of hours the sound quality improves. You really need to go thru the ritual first before doing anything.

Maybe you have a CD player that you can set repeat disc and let it rip for at least 20, 30 or more hours (100 smile.gif ) But seriously I would try to get to two hundred hours before making any decisions on selling them or changing electronics.

I have not heard the 380s but owned the original Focus 220 before moving to Confidence and I still have the 110s as surround. The last thing I would call them is anemic.

Did you audition first and liked them at audition or blind buy? If after another 100 to 150 hours on these speakers maybe you just desire a different sound. If this is the case I would suggest a Focal audition. A bit more in your face/front row.

Really, run them in more then decide.

Rick

post #4 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your answers,

I will try to give them another 100 hours and maybe play a bit with cables to see what this will do to the sound. Definitely I do not want to change them so easily.
I work a lot, have family and I do not have some much time to listen. Maybe it was naive from me to expect that they will sound perfect right out of the box. I have time to enjoy my hifi for about 3-4 hours per week, so my Dyns were active about 50-60 hours since I bought them (they were new).
To answer Callas. I have auditioned them in the studio paired with McIntosh MC220/275 and they just sounded perfect. Unfortunately I do not have 8000€ to buy 220/275, so I tried Ayon, and I am trying to find similar sound.

Cheers, Georg
post #5 of 10 Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgP View Post

Thank you for your answers,
I will try to give them another 100 hours and maybe play a bit with cables to see what this will do to the sound. Definitely I do not want to change them so easily.
I work a lot, have family and I do not have some much time to listen. Maybe it was naive from me to expect that they will sound perfect right out of the box. I have time to enjoy my hifi for about 3-4 hours per week, so my Dyns were active about 50-60 hours since I bought them (they were new).
To answer Callas. I have auditioned them in the studio paired with McIntosh MC220/275 and they just sounded perfect. Unfortunately I do not have 8000€ to buy 220/275, so I tried Ayon, and I am trying to find similar sound.
Cheers, Georg

yeah, I have had my focus 160s for a few weeks, about a month now and they sounded really good about 150 hrs in. If you can let them just play all day while youre gone at work, that is what I did. I was able to do that in about a week. Two weeks in they were pretty well broke-in. Now they have about 300 hrs, which is where people say they are fully broke-in. I havent noticed to much change in the last 150 hrs tho. It took at least a week(75-80 hrs) for the bass and mids to develop into what I heard when I auditioned them. I think that switching the tubes(replacing the tubes on your Ayon with new tubes, not changing the gear) will affect the sound more then cables. Im like you I cant afford that either. I use a Naim Nait 5i and an Arcam rDAC and the pairing is excellent.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #6 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM

have the 360s and they take at least 200 or more hours to start to break in. Do not give up. I am using a Mac 402 400 watt amp with mac 2200 preamp and it is incredible. I am actually thinking of upgrading to the 380s as they have been redesigned and are "suppose" to be better. I do know that everyone says the Dynas need a lot of power. Not sure what your gear is but these speakers are great. I had B&W 80 N and these are just so much more high end sounding with soundstaging and amazing detail,
post #7 of 10 Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM

Liked: 17
Dynaudios tend to work best with powerful high current solid state amps. I was driving my Dynaudio Contour 3.3s with a 200@8ohms, 400@4ohms Classe' amp and the speakers probably would have liked even more power.

I'd recommend more break-in (at least a couple hundred hours), however, before doing anything. If they're still not where you like them, try auditioning new amps.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I own a pair that is driven by Gamut electronics (D200i + D3i) and I have to say they really started to sing only AFTER 300 hours, Dynaudios have very long break in periods and any serious evaluation with less than 300 hours should not be considered final IMHO.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!" :)

Jedi Master Yoda
post #9 of 10 Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 14
Have the Focus 360's and agree they need more break-in and need lot's of power. I run a Krell with 400 watts @ 4ohms.

HT: ATI 1505, ATI 1502, Denon AVP-A1HDCI, Oppo 105, Dynaudio Focus 220 MkII, Focus 200C, Audience 42, SVS PB13-Ultra, Definitive Technology DI 8R, Sharp LC-90LE745U 2-Channel:Krell 400xi, Krell SACD Standard, Logitech Transporter, Dynaudio Focus 360 Outside: NAD 325BEE, Definitive Technology AW6500
post #10 of 10 Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desotti View Post
I own a pair that is driven by Gamut electronics (D200i + D3i) and I have to say they really started to sing only AFTER 300 hours, Dynaudios have very long break in periods and any serious evaluation with less than 300 hours should not be considered final IMHO.
break them in.

I have a pair of focus 340s and I felt that something was wrong. Voices sounded watery, not good.
Had been listening to them for several months. Ok, but somehow not what made me fall in love with them at the shop. Then at a good night, my upstairs neighbour was at it again with his monotonous electronic stuff. Somehow i got just very annoyed so i turned up my speakers, just to hear that he was doing the same? Or so i imagined. For the duration of at least 25 minutes, I played my speakers EXTREMELY loud. And I mean, massively loud.

The next evening, listening to them again, I noticed something had changed. Since then, the speakers have been just magnificient.

Break them in. This means to play them very loud, too!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page