Home theater upgrade Q's. Horn system on a modest budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took a break from AVS a while back because it kept forcing me to excessively purchase electronics. I made the mistake of coming back and as such Im now required to upgrade my theater. Originally I planned to only upgrade the speakers but I accidentally bought a new projector and so my speaker budget dropped dramatically.

This go round I'd like to go with horn tweeters. I gave a pair of klipsch horns a demo and loved the clarity and separation I heard. I'd like a 5.1 system with shallow, bi-directional rears to save on space. If the speakers are easy to drive that would be a huge bonus as well.

The BIC acoustech's seemed like a great fit but the pl76 set us a bit over my price range. I'd like to keep things under a 1000...if I can get something for 800, even better. I'd like a matching set so everything gels and in-wall speakers would definitely be considered to help with space/placement issues.

I had a h100 sub before and was very happy with it..until it died. 2 subs would be great as a single in the corner always bothered me. I'd also be willing to mount subs into the theater risers to save money.

My dedicated room is 13x20 and will have some sound control with double drywall, bass traps, and sand filled risers and stage to give the room some thickness. I'd like to mount the rears into pilars so the more narrow the better. My receiver is a pioneer vsx-1020. Ill mainly be gaming with some movies, no music listening and no tv except large sporting events.

Any ideas for a system which fits the bill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
if bookshelf sized speakers would work, you might consider HSU HB-1, MK2 speakers
http://www.hsuresearch.com/speakers.html
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Would put you over budget a little for a set of 4 plus the matching center.

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-530-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B00622STI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354136443&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+530

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM

Liked: 10
i just picked up klipsch KF-28 and they sound perfect i put them to the test 80% volume up on my denon avr1613 and no crackle distortion noise just clear gonna end up picking up the rest to complete my HT. http://www.klipsch.com/kf-28-floorstanding-speaker
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page