Need 5.2 - Bookshelf/Monitor - Wall Mounted/Close to Wall - $4000 to $5000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a 5.2 system. I do not have a receiver yet but plan to pick one up that has good room correction. I don't know a lot about speakers. Kind of like wine. I know a good wine from a bad one by taste, but I don't really know why. Same way with speakers. I do about 40/40/20 PC gaming/movies/music. I'm looking for all around performers.

I have a sketch of my proposed room layout. The surrounds have been placed at 110 degrees and then toed in to the center on either side of the sweet spot. The fronts have been placed at 30 degrees and also toed in to center on either side of the sweet spot. I used the dark lines to place the speakers. The dotted line represents the angle used to toe in the speaker.

The couch will probably need to be moved a little closer to the tv but this is generally the idea. As you can see the speakers are very close to the walls. I would like to mount these speakers on the walls if possible. That would allow me to place the subs wider, under the speakers, which would also help the layout.

Here's the url and image from the last forum:
5.1 vs 7.1 for This Room

My mind is boggled by the number of speaker choices from Ascend (Sierra-1 Series), Salk (HTS Series), Klipsch (RB-81 II), Polk (LSim Series), etc. I know there are a ton of other options. What would you guys recommend I pursue?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention. I could set a custom speaker stand on top of the sub and get the bookshelves away from the walls a bit. Is this the more advisable way to go? I don't fully understand the Allison Effect but it seems to indicate that if I cross at 80 Hz I need the fronts 4 feet off the wall. That's just not possible.

Do the closed speakers have crossovers which are designed to minimize the Allison Effect when close to a wall? It doesn't seem like they can eliminate the phenomenon by being closed. A little confused on this.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If your looking for some excellent on wall speakers check out the Totem Tribe speakers.smile.gif
Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Class A, I'll take a look at those
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix333 View Post

My mind is boggled by the number of speaker choices from Ascend (Sierra-1 Series), Salk (HTS Series), Klipsch (RB-81 II), Polk (LSim Series), etc. I know there are a ton of other options. What would you guys recommend I pursue?

Nice space and nice budget. A 5.2 should sound amazing there.

Yes, there's tons of options - and the ones you list are good one, but some quite different from each other.

What have you listened to in the past and liked or disliked (the personal preference that counts here is yours, not those of the suggesters)?

That close to a wall, make sure you are only considering front ported or sealed (and people like Salk will build front ported versions).

My suggestion would be to get a quote from Jim for Salk Surround IIs as fronts, with a SongCenter and SongSurround Is as rears (all front ported) and then a couple of Rythmik F12s (or Salk versions if budget allows); but that is my preference.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rick,

Those Song Series speakers really look great. How would you, or anyone reading this, view the following comparison in terms of quality, value, and performance?

Salk:
2 Song Towers - $1,999 ($500 less if going with Song Surround II's as fronts)
Song Center - $795
2 Song Surround I's - $895
2 Rythmic 12" Subs - $2,590
TOTAL - $6,279 ($500 less if going with Song Surround II's as fronts)

Ascend Acoustics
Sierra-1 LRC & Surrounds - $1,958
3 NRT Upgrades (LRC) - $900
2 F12SE Subs - $1,998
TOTAL - $4,856

That's a $1,423 difference using list prices, $923 if going with Song Surround II's as fronts. I've read glowing reviews of both of these speakers and manufacturers. Both have been very responsive to my questions via email so I can vouch for their customer service orientation.

The Salks can be front ported (a few more dollars I believe). The Sierra-1's are supposedly good, even if are only a few inches from the walls. I'd like some opinions in this area. I don't know if the Sierra's can be front ported. The Sierra-1's are also beefy for surrounds, maybe that isn't what I would actually do. Not sure about what's best. Those are good questions to consider.

What would you do in my position?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 AM

Liked: 13
The Gallo Reference Stradas are made for wall mounting. They are $1000 each including mounts.

http://www.roundsound.com/reference-strada.php

Fronts: 2 Strada Sides = $2000

Center: Strada Center or an additional Strada Side = $1000

Surrounds: 1 pair Gallo Classico CL-1s = $495

Subs: 1 pair Rythmik F12s (Matte Black) = 2 * 787 - 10% Discount + $114 sipping = $1530

Total = $5025 + cost of mounts for the surrounds.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

What would you do in my position?
Thanks for all the help.

Go to the Ascend and Salk threads to find someone in your area willing to give you a listen. Odds are that you will love both systems, so the choice will be more of aesthetics and price. If you choose a standard veneer from Salk, you could order a pair of each and listen to them in your own home, sending back the un-chosen one (loser seems like the wrong word in this case).

Note that in both cases you have Rythmik F12 subs there. In one they are the Rythmik components in a cabinet built by Jim Salk (extra bracing and furniture grade veneer job), in the other they are the gloss finish coming from Rythmik. If you replace the Salk/Rythmik with standard F12SE then the prices are even closer.

Good luck choosing - none of the above suggestions (including Gallo or Totem) are bad choices.

I was intrigued by the Salk following, got some, love them, and now suggest them all the time wink.gif

Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Salk:
2 Song Towers - $1,999 ($500 less if going with Song Surround II's as fronts)
Song Center - $795
2 Rythmic 12" Subs - $2,590
TOTAL - $6,279 ($500 less if going with Song Surround II's as fronts)

Ascend Acoustics
Sierra-1 LRC & Surrounds - $1,958
3 NRT Upgrades (LRC) - $900
2 F12SE Subs - $1,998
TOTAL - $4,856

To further complicate things there's also the floorstanding Sierra Tower, which is currently on sale.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

To further complicate things there's also the floorstanding Sierra Tower, which is currently on sale.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

Very true. I am comparing apples to oranges if I don't take that into account. A fairer comparison would be:

Salk:
2 Song Towers - $1,999
1 Song Center - $795
2 F12SE Subs $1,998
TOTAL - $5,687

Ascend Acoustics:
2 Sierra Towers - $1,898 (NRT standard)
1 Sierra Horizon Center $998 (NRT standard)
2 Sierra-1 Surrounds $798
2 F12SE Subs $1,998
TOTAL - $5,692

That's about as close as it gets... One benefit for me in going with Ascend is that its a 5 hour drive from me but one that I periodically do on business anyway. That makes them essentially local for me in that communicating with them face to face is definitely possible as well as carting my precious speakers myself rather than trusting a shipper. Given the quality and price similarities its hard to make a decision any other way...

Does anyone have experience with the Gallo Reference Stradas? I'll look into them as well, thanks OldMovieNut!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

After quite a bit of searching I've decided on the Ascend speakers:

2 Sierra Towers - $1,898 (NRT standard)
1 Sierra Horizon Center $998 (NRT standard)
2 Sierra-1 Surrounds $798
2 F12SE Subs $1,998
TOTAL - $5,692

I wont be buying for a while but I'll let you all know how it goes when I do. My main reason for choosing ascend is their clos(er) locality to me and aesthetics. I honestly think both are great setups.

These speakers appear to still be okay relatively close to walls. Not quite in line with the title of this thread, but I think this is the best setup for my application nonetheless.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Where are you located?

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Where are you located?

I'm in Fresno, CA