Replacing Bose LifeStyles System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Bose LifeStyles system is on it's last leg and needs to be replaced. Originally, I thought to simply replace the receiver and use my BOSE speakers with a new receiver. However, after reading forums on this site, I see that isn't necessarily in my best interest, and I may have made a poor purchasing decision years ago.

The room is 41ft x 15 ft with the TV along the 15 foot wall (projecting into the 41 foot space). I have the couch set up at 12 feet away from the TV with the surround speakers 3 feet behind the couch (hanging about a foot from the ceiling). I was intreagued by the reviews of the Blackstone TL1600 and Pioneer SP-PK21BS, but not sure if these are good sets for my space. Any recommendations would be appreciated, and I'm hoping to use my current dimensions/set up if possible.

I should also note that I did wire two additional wires for 7.1. Although, I lost my map that would enable me to easily find the ends again, I know they are about 6 feet from the TV on each wall (about halfway between the TV and couch). Is it worth cutting out some drywall to find these and upgrade to a 7 speaker system?

Thank you,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 156
All you have to know about Bose is the size of the speaker/driver and the fact that the speaker has no tweeter and the system has no real subwoofer. So the lifestyle does about as good as any system operating under those limitations!
However, you are talking about replacing a satellite system with another satellite system. Not that you have to have huge speakers, but a system with "less than 4 inch" drivers really isn't going to be full range!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 3 Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Standard questions:

- budget (is this for 5.1 or 5.1 plus receiver)

- size/aesthetic constraints

- HT only or HT music mix

- what other than Bose have you heard that you liked or disliked

Effectively you have a 15x15 room that is connected to another 15x25 room along the 15' wall. A good 5.1 is always better than a compromised 7.1; if budget allows then consider 7.1 but 5.1 or 5.2 would be just fine (in your large space a second sub would likely have more impact than the extra two speakers).

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page