AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   NEW PSB Alpha PS1 powered computer speakers. (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1441055-new-psb-alpha-ps1-powered-computer-speakers.html)

Cajun_Mike 11-24-2012 02:37 PM

I love PSB and i was excited to see the news of these earlier this fall, but I can't understand why they didn't put the volume control knob on the front.

Phone rings in my office and I would have to stand up from my office chair and reach behind speaker to turn volume knob. Certainly that's the fastest way than fumbling with mouse to pull up volume software on my mac. mad.gif

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/powered-speakers/Alpha-PS1-Powered-Speaker

Cajun_Mike 11-29-2012 10:09 PM

bump

drewTT 11-29-2012 10:53 PM

Look into a Griffin PowerMate.

jdcrox 11-30-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike View Post

bump
Whats your question?
If you really want to know why, I suggest you contact PSB. rolleyes.gif

Cajun_Mike 12-06-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Look into a Griffin PowerMate.

Thanks for that. I looked it up and that's a perfect solution!

Now, I'm just just hoping to find these speakers in stock somewhere to give them a listen or at least read a review from a trusted source.

Cajun_Mike 12-20-2012 04:48 PM

First review of these new computer speakers.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/psb-alpha-ps1-powered-speaker

gkdiamond 01-03-2013 03:51 PM

The volume control in the back is not a problem for me, my keyboard has buttons for volume and mute. You might check to see if you can program your keyboard or use a macro for volume control and mute.

guitaraficionado 03-03-2013 02:22 PM

Any PSB Alpha PS1 owners out there who notice a low volume buzz? I'm on my 2nd pair and even without an input connected, these speakers produce an incessant buzz that doesn't change with volume setting. A shame, since they reproduce music very well.

highstream 03-05-2013 10:22 PM

I've had a pair on my desktop for a week and there's no buzz, but then I'm using them through an Audioengine D1. As for my review so far, here's an edited version of what I posted on Crutchfield:

"Great with a flaw for desktop use

The Audiostream review (linked on the PSB site) caught it mostly dead on: - "the PS1s sound exceptionally clean, clear and crisp" - "throw out a huge and stable sound image both horizontally and vertically" - "All frequencies sound very evenly handled" - "eminently musical and involving to listen to for any kind of music" - "Think smooth" (tweeter) and "delicate" (overall)

But then: "if I had one wish I'd wish for a bit more heft. A tad more weight to the lower and upper-lower frequencies"

Compared to the slightly bass enhanced and Class A amp of the Audioengine A5+, the PS1s are a little cool, but oh so transparent and not at all grating, unless it's there on the recording. Nonetheless, that lack of heft is a big drawback for me and, I suspect, will be for lots of other desktop users that don't want to add a subwoofer. Heft is important element of dynamics, and is lost when drums and bass don't quite sound (sufficiently) complete, i.e., actually like drums and bass, as they don't with the PS1s. if PSB had extended this quality of sound down towards 50 or 60 Hz, I would have gladly accepted a somewhat larger speaker and paid another $50-100. Maybe the next version? That said, although I haven't decided whether to keep them, the PS1 is appealing in lots of ways and certainly the right size for a desktop.

Pros:
clean, transparent, delicate, lots of dynamics, sounds like music, does especially well on acoustic music and with smaller groups
Cons:
lack of satisfying bass extension sufficient for a 2.0 desktop application"

I'd also add that the use of a power link cable between speakers, instead of employing standard speaker posts, seems to be a drawback, because it doesn't allow experimenting with speaker cables. With the A5+, getting rid of the supplied cable in favor of a fairly good quality speaker wire made a very noticeable difference. I also think putting the volume knob on the back will put off some potential buyers who don't have a DAC and don't find using keyboard or desktop controls that efficient.

Ron Alcasid 03-06-2013 09:09 AM

You have a light dimmer somewhere on the same circuit?

guitaraficionado 03-08-2013 09:26 AM

Highstream - Could you try putting your ear up to the left speaker tweeter with no source playing and see if you hear anything? It's fairly subtle.

I've tried plugging them into a different circuit, and even disconnected the input, but still hear it. I can live with it, but would try another pair if another owner can verify this isn't a design issue.

Thanks!

highstream 03-09-2013 07:46 PM

Yes, there is a small buzz, inaudible except right up close. I just asked PSB about it and we'll see what they say. The speaker is electrically connected to the computer console.

highstream 03-13-2013 10:24 PM

All I've heard from PSB so far is some questions about my setup. In the meantime, I've noticed that with a new Audioengine D-1 DAC, the buzz is now more of a hash. I also find that the A5+ powered speaker hooked to my TV and running off the same outlet as the strip holding all the other pieces, has a slight hash. I'm not in a position to play with set ups right now, but these results suggest the possibility of electrical interaction.

highstream 03-14-2013 07:26 AM

Reply from PSB:

"Hi,

With this type of Amplifier you will be able to hear a little bit of hum when your ear is within 1 or 2 inches of the tweeter, but it should be the same level out of both speakers.

It sounds to us that you are having a different issue because you said that it is only happening out of the left channel.

We would recommend taking the speakers back to your dealer and talking with your dealer about the warranty options you have.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Kind regards,

Pam Anderson"

On checking now, my right one does have a has sound.

guitaraficionado 03-22-2013 12:38 PM

highstream -- thanks for posting the reply from PSB and for investigating a bit. They do have good customer support. If I remember right, both speakers exhibit the buzz. But I still like the speakers, how do they compare to your AudioEngines?

highstream 03-22-2013 01:00 PM

Have to admit I haven't done a direct comparison. I was listening to the A5+ when the PSBs came, switched them out to the TV room, did some initial listening and then several hours of initial burn in, and haven't checked back. It's also not real easy given their size difference and placement on a well-occupied desk. My initial sense was being immediately aware of a two differences: an immediate loss of a sense of heft - bigger fox, fuller and enhanced bass - and, after a bit of listening, a sense that the rest of the spectrum had gained some clarity and extension. A big jump with the PSB came after switching samples of AE's DAC D1 (there had been a volume purchase on Massdrop at a considerable discount). I recently became aware of Emotiva Pro airmotiv 4s, which have garnered glowing reviews, and have a pair on the way. In size, they are about halfway between the A5+ and PSBs. I'll report back on those once they get some breakin.

highstream 03-27-2013 11:37 PM

I just got a pair of Emotiva Pro airmotiv4's today. Already after a dozen hours of breakin, I can say they are well worth an audition relative to the PSBs. For $15 more until the end of the month, and $50 after that until the next sale - fairly frequent - you get a much more dynamic, fuller spectrum speaker with an excellent upper end and nice mid range (to keep it short). In size, they have the feel of the AE5+, though they are a bit smaller (6.1 x 7.3 x 9.4 vs. 7 x 7.75 x 10.75).

alphaiii 03-28-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstream View Post

I just got a pair of Emotiva Pro airmotiv4's today. Already after a dozen hours of breakin, I can say they are well worth an audition relative to the PSBs. For $15 more until the end of the month, and $50 after that until the next sale - fairly frequent - you get a much more dynamic, fuller spectrum speaker with an excellent upper end and nice mid range (to keep it short). In size, they have the feel of the AE5+, though they are a bit smaller (6.1 x 7.3 x 9.4 vs. 7 x 7.75 x 10.75).

I didn't compare them directly, but having listened to them reasonably close in time...I have to agree, the Airmotiv4 is well worth the extra change over the Alpha PS1.

The drawbacks are that you don't get a sub out, and they are larger... but the Airmotiv4 does well enough without a sub (for me anyway), and I feel the treble range is noticeably better.

highstream 03-28-2013 08:45 AM

alphaii, off the PSB topic, but did you find the airmotiv's high end a little bit hot at first? That seems to be the area where the breakin is taking the most time. And what have you done for stands? I started with Audioengine's smaller tilting stands on three inches of books, which wasn't bad considering breakin, then piled up 11" of books, which put the top at nose level. It wasn't a true comparison but I can say they do like being high and nonreclining (per the manual). Just seems odd having larger speakers and up so high right after the PSBs, which work fine in the AE stands and look more computer sized.

alphaiii 03-28-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstream View Post

alphaii, off the PSB topic, but did you find the airmotiv's high end a little bit hot at first? That seems to be the area where the breakin is taking the most time. And what have you done for stands? I started with Audioengine's smaller tilting stands on three inches of books, which wasn't bad considering breakin, then piled up 11" of books, which put the top at nose level. It wasn't a true comparison but I can say they do like being high and nonreclining (per the manual). Just seems odd having larger speakers and up so high right after the PSBs, which work fine in the AE stands and look more computer sized.

I thought the treble was just a little forward (not harsh though), so I set the high frequency tilt control to -2dB.

I had them sitting on 2 stacked pieces of 1" thick Auralex foam that I cut to similar size as the speakers footprint...to raise them up a bit...