Speakers Ideas and Feedback - AVS Forum
Speakers > Speakers Ideas and Feedback
DocOrange88's Avatar DocOrange88 11:33 PM 11-24-2012
So, This is my first post.

Right now I am mostly focus on getting Speakers set correctly.

Right now I am running a pair of Bose 501 V as my center. I know you guys will laugh at me about that, but it does sound pretty good but sadly the voices don't punch as strong as I would like, when people tal quite on screen I lose them. I'm about to replace this with a Boston V12, I'm sure that is a much better pick.

My front left and right are a pair of Bose 10.2 MKII These I likely will never replace. These speakers are simply awesome, less I get some high end JBL arrays I've never heard a better sounding pair of speakers. They do a great job in every way and give me some serious full range.

For my surrounds I have a pair of Bose 4001's which seem to work great and have a low profile. I can't really comment much on them, they work well.

My rear surrounds are a pair of Bose 301 MKII.

I also have a 10 year old Sony 12" powered subwoofer, works great have not had any real reason to replace it. If I want more punch sometimes I might pull out my pro JBL 10" LSR monitor subwoofer.

I know these are reflection speakers but I have them setup such that the reflection direction is towards the audience.

Besides that I have a 125" Elite Electric projection screen and a Viewsonic PRO8200. I still get gitty every time I turn the projector on or off and the screen comes down or goes up automatically.

I am over all very happy with everything, but figured I'd get some feedback. As for the 501's I plan to replace with a real center channel. Do you guys have any feedback or thoughts?

4DHD's Avatar 4DHD 04:11 PM 11-25-2012
Your chances of mixing Bose and any other brand for your LCRs and having them sound coherent is slim and none.
The only way two speakers can be used for center channel is one above and one below the screen. Not side by side.
And being I know nothing about the 501, I don't really know if top/bottom will work.
Elihawk's Avatar Elihawk 05:29 PM 11-25-2012
Not trying to bash bose...I think they mostly get "crap" for the performance of the tweeter-less satelitte speakers! As mentioned above, you really want your front stage to match brand/models! So, if the center channel is weak, probably a new front stage is in order. You may be surprised what "other-than-Bose" can sound like!
DocOrange88's Avatar DocOrange88 02:32 PM 11-29-2012
Well the 10.2's are a pretty powerful speaker. They are honestly the loudest of my setup. I've considered going Boston VR12/14 or VR920 for my center.
DocOrange88's Avatar DocOrange88 02:35 PM 11-29-2012
501's won't work on top and bottom, they are a reflecting pair.
JerryLove's Avatar JerryLove 02:48 PM 11-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Not trying to bash bose...I think they mostly get "crap" for the performance of the tweeter-less satelitte speakers! As mentioned above, you really want your front stage to match brand/models! So, if the center channel is weak, probably a new front stage is in order. You may be surprised what "other-than-Bose" can sound like!
Here I though it was because they put inexpensive (cheap?) components in under built cabinets and sold them at high prices.

It's not that Bose has never made a good product (the WaveRadio is nice: Heck, I remember being fond of the 10.2 as a tween); it's that the quality and price don't match.

And some of their products are just plain bad.
JerryLove's Avatar JerryLove 02:49 PM 11-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post

Besides that I have a 125" Elite Electric projection screen and a Viewsonic PRO8200. I still get gitty every time I turn the projector on or off and the screen comes down or goes up automatically.
I am over all very happy with everything, but figured I'd get some feedback. As for the 501's I plan to replace with a real center channel. Do you guys have any feedback or thoughts?

It's going to be hard to timbre-match.

Have you tried running with a phantom center? That might give you an option.

Is your screen acoustically transparent? Is it far enough from the wall that you could put another 10.2 back there?
4DHD's Avatar 4DHD 03:21 PM 11-29-2012
Quote:

Well the 10.2's are a pretty powerful speaker. They are honestly the loudest of my setup. I've considered going Boston VR12/14 or VR920 for my center.
The loudest speakers really means nothing. Certainly has nothing to do with quality sound.
If you want a good soundstage, you need to start from scratch. Have matching LCRs.
Don't waste your money on trying to work in some other brand of center, with the Bose, it will not be good.
DocOrange88's Avatar DocOrange88 10:44 PM 11-29-2012
Yea, the screen is not transparent, so that's out. I have been considering ditching the bose completely...and going all studio monitors...

I currently have 5 JBL LSR2325P's and a JBL LSR 2310SP sub.

I've considered just getting two more JBLs for 7.1 however I have no good way to send signal to them as they are self powered. Any thoughts on that?
4DHD's Avatar 4DHD 05:02 AM 11-30-2012
The LSRs would be the way to go. Are you saying no 110v to the rear wall?
Two solutions to that, run a heavy extension cord(s) to the back, or run a new romex® line to that wall.
Where I am now, I had no outputs where I needed them, so I got 12 GA extension cord, cut it to the exact length I needed and put a new plug on the end. And then connected my power strip. no problems at all. The only choice I had being all these walls are concrete/brick.
JerryLove's Avatar JerryLove 06:12 AM 11-30-2012
Quote:

I've considered just getting two more JBLs for 7.1 however I have no good way to send signal to them as they are self powered. Any thoughts on that?

Two options:
1) Replace the receiver with one which has pre-outs (in which case you can run RCA cables)
2) I'm not sure of a link, but high-level (speaker) signals can be converted back to low-level (interconnect) signals. This is the same thing that an active sub does to get LF out of speaker wire. There are both items for sale and DIY guides.
Up
Mobile  Desktop