Speaker wire advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am looking to someone with knowledge of cables that can assist me. I am in Canada (not that it makes a difference to advice)

I have recently purchased Denon AVR-1713 receiver and Kef KHT-1505 speaker set, I know this is relatively entry level stuff but my question is, would good quality cables make a difference to sound quality in this setup?

My rears will need aprox 20ft of cable run to each. Someone recommended to get Monster cable from The Source or Best Buy, is this good stuff? Also does a sub cable make a difference? I have a high quality RCA cable that was used for component TV picture, would this be good for audio for the sub or not as is primarily a video cable?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Greetings from Canada as well!

Speaker cable wont really make a big difference... 16g-14g works fine for speakers in a home theater set-up. Brand doesnt really make a difference, but often times it helps having a nice thread count & not just the plastic shielding :P

As far as RCA's, To the naked ear, you wont hear much of a difference (if any at all) with Monster cable, or any other brand. The main thing you want is for the wire to be "shielded".

Cheers!

Andrew
post #3 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavman View Post

Hi, I am looking to someone with knowledge of cables that can assist me. I am in Canada (not that it makes a difference to advice)

I have recently purchased Denon AVR-1713 receiver and Kef KHT-1505 speaker set, I know this is relatively entry level stuff but my question is, would good quality cables make a difference to sound quality in this setup?

My rears will need aprox 20ft of cable run to each. Someone recommended to get Monster cable from The Source or Best Buy, is this good stuff? Also does a sub cable make a difference? I have a high quality RCA cable that was used for component TV picture, would this be good for audio for the sub or not as is primarily a video cable?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

yes, but "good quality" cables are cheap... smile.gif regular old 14 gauge speaker wire from your local big box store will be just fine...

yes, that cable will be fine for the sub...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavman View Post

would good quality cables make a difference to sound quality in this setup?
No. A cable is either functional or defective.
Quote:
Someone recommended to get Monster cable from The Source or Best Buy, is this good stuff?
It's overpriced. 'High end' cables are to affordable cables as bottled water is to tap water, and if you're knowledgeable you know that most bottled water is tap water.
Quote:
Also does a sub cable make a difference?
No.
Quote:
I have a high quality RCA cable that was used for component TV picture, would this be good for audio for the sub or not as is primarily a video cable?
There's no such thing as a video cable versus an audio cable, they function identically. All that differs is how they're advertised. At very long lengths there is advantage to lower capacitance cables for video, but the same applies to audio. At living room lengths, not really.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice.

Much appreciated.!!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page