Martin Logan Motion 40s vs B&W CM9 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you want to compare measurements

http://www.hometheater.com/content/martinlogan-motion-40-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

http://www.hometheater.com/content/bampw-cm9-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Not yet. In the coming month I'm going to put a 40 system head to head with GE Aon3 system and let the best man win. Your setup looks fantastic, though I'm leaning toward the FX 2's for surrounds instead.

FX 2's Ahh Yes Those are awesome! Please let me know how they play with the Martin Logans **If you decide to go with them! Im rooting for the 40's to win!

Let me know !

B
Denon Lover
Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Time to report back.

The Martin Logan's won, hands down. The sound is so gorgeous, and an amazingly huge soundstage. 2ch stereo feels three dimensional. I have the 40's with a 30 center channel, and Motion 15 surrounds are on the way.

Paired with a Pioneer Sc-37, the speakers feel very dynamic for home theater. I've been using room EQ for movies but I prefer no EQ and no sub for music. Trust me when I say the bottom end of the 40's is certainly not lacking.

Enough already, I listened to tons of speakers but none had the same wow factor and build quality at this price point.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Liked: 10

Hi all,

This was such a great thread to read!  I am currently in the middle of considering ML versus B&W to round out my system.

Essentially I have a Meridian 561 Processor and a Meridian 557 2 channel amplifier powering 2 Martin Logan Clarity's.  The amp bit the dust back in March and my local audio repair store finally quit trying to fix it after 6 months (Meridian no longer supports their amplifiers).  SO, because I want to add surround speakers to get 5.1 (and eventually 7.1) I am looking at speakers.

This week I purchased a Denon AVR-X4000 to replace the Meridian's and it is coming in a few days.  A little concerned about powering the Clarity's but it seemed to be the best choice from receivers power-wise for the money.

First question: What do you think about the Denon sound processing capabilities as compared to a 17 year old Meridian processor?  If I were to continue using that I would need to find a 5 channel amplifier with minimum 200 watt / channel output, and those get VERY pricey so to me this seemed like a decent trade-off.

Second, adding speakers.  Looking at the Motion 30 center, Motion 15s for rear, Motion 4s for rear high, and Dynamo 7 for sub.  OR B&W CMCC center, CM1 rear, and then Motion 4 / Dynamo 7 again for same placement.  There's only a $200 price difference between the 2 setups. 

My space is a condo so the ML's seem to lend themselves a little better size wise.  Any concerns around having an ESL paired with B&W in terms of sound?

Good to see emcdade loves his Motion's!

Thanks all!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Seems like old thread, but interestingly I was looking for a pair of towers and final list was Motion 40, RX6, NHT Zero Towers and CM9 in the same order. Ruled out PSB Image, Paradigm Monitors and Aperion Fortes / Verus. Still wondering why replace the RX6 with either of your listed choices, they are in the same league and class.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Well some might say that it's the brand and others are about the speakers them selves. Personally for me the CM9's are not bright enough and they are not up to my hearing standard. Again sound is subjective even talking about what is loud is subjective. However, i prefer the Martin Logan's they have a beautiful clear sound gorgeous mid's and thunderous low's. I'd recommend to go check out the speakers and make your own audio comparison! 

Hope this helps! 

B
Denon Lover
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM

I am currently debating between the ML40 towers (Motion 8 center, Motion 15 surround, and Dynamo 1000), SVS Ultra 7.1 (PB12 sub), and Definitive ST-L towers (Gem XL surrounds and Mythos 10 center) for my 7.1 setup.  I started a thread, but any feedback on these options are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I was in the same boat. ML Motion 40 vs B&W. Motion 40 is better hands down, its so crisp and you can clearly hear the details. Look out for some music or movie with rain in the background (Iron man 2 has one such clip), it will make your decision easier. 

Front speakers: Motion 40

Center Channel: Motion 8

Rear: ML Rear EL IW (In wall)

Subwoofer: Dynamo 700

Receiver: Marantz SR5008

Just not sure if I am getting a good deal. How much are you guys paying for it?

I paid 750x2 for Motion 40, 325 for center channel (open box), 360x2 for rear in wall speakers and 560 for dynamo 700 excluding tax. Also got a ML soundbar for 1200. Reasonable?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM

Sounds like a good deal, esp. given the retail pricing.  Where did you purchase from if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Thanks. I bought it from Magnolia Audio Video. I also bought a few more items from them, so that could be the reason for the discount. Don't forget to negotiate if you are planning to get one. For Motion 40, Frys have them for 750 each in store. 

Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Odd, the Magnolia person I talked to was adamant that they didn't do deals, as they "hold the integrity of the manufacturer as very important."

Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM

Yeah, that thing is YMMV. If you get hold of a good guy, it might help. BTW, I did buy a projector, screen, blu-ray and whole bunch of items from them, that led me to good discount. The above rates are not exact, I just got overall good discount, so divided it up and shared in my previous post. 

If you want, you can check with AVS to get a quote. Also, Magnolia does price match, so that might help. You can also go to magnolia website, and check out all the online authorized dealers (not that many) to quickly check for the prices or promotions. I did not find any, except Frys as mentioned above. Furthermore, you could check with some other Magnolia if there is one around. Because, I have had different experience with different locations @Magnolia. Just make sure you don't buy from unauthorized dealer, which you will find plenty on amazon. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 75

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

ML is reportedly going to be offering the Motion 40's big brother this summer for an MSRP in the neighborhood of $3,000.

Dual 8" woofers and a 6.5" mid, to go along with a FMTweeter :-)

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
Old 05-01-2014, 03:32 PM

One thing is for sure. You have utilized every inch of your space in the room :-) BTW, $3000 is a lot for me to pay for a pair of speakers. You must be some kind of audiophile to pay that much for floorstanding speakers. 

Old 05-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post

ML is reportedly going to be offering the Motion 40's big brother this summer for an MSRP in the neighborhood of $3,000.

Dual 8" woofers and a 6.5" mid, to go along with a FMTweeter :-)

WOW.  That would mean the towers would be almost exactly the same spec as the SVS I am looking at.  I will ahve to shoot them an email.  I'd hate to buy the 40's and have these come out right after the fact.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Spoke with the guys at SVS, so hopefully I will get a price quote and make a decision soon.  Got the cost of the 2 40s, 2 20s, set of 15s, 1 30 and 2 Dynamo 1000s to $5900.  Also just picked up an Onkyo 3010, so I don't think I will have an issue pushing these, no matter what I get! haha

Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 AM

The Onkyo looks like a nice foundation for your system  ( 140 watts per ... Audyssey XT32 ). 

Looking forward to some pics when everything is hooked up :-)

Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

Old 05-03-2014, 11:48 AM

So quick update. SVS lets people try out their speakers for 45 days no questions asked. Since the pricing ended up being almost exactly the same as ML, I pulled the trigger. My setup will be:

Ultra towers for front and surround
Ultra center
Ultra surround for rear
PB12 Plus sub

That said, if you're ever looking to shop, I highly recommend ABT. Had it not been for the 45 day trial, I would have gone with ML through them.

I'll let everyone know how it's going when I get them setup next week.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Good to know, thanks for sharing. BTW, most of the stores provide 30 day return policy, if not 45. You should probably get a good idea within that period of time if you like the speakers. I bought mine from Magnolia A/V and they had 30 day return policy for speakers.  

Old 05-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

I don't understand posts like these. You honestly don't think Martin Logan can make a decent speaker that isn't an electrostat? After hearing the 40's and Goldenear Tritons and Aons with the ribbon tweeters there's no going back for me.

Look at basically every review of the 40's, they're fantastic speakers and unlike the Goldenears, they look pretty too.

100% in agreement....

I owned a pair of Motion's 40s -- 60% home theater & 40% music (Stereo set up for vinyl, FLAC and SACD) --- sound excellent for the amount I invested on the speaker and other equipment.

Front Speaker - Motion 40s

Center - Encore TF Center Channel

Rear - Motion 15

Sub woofer - JBL

Receiver - NAD T765

Am currently in the process of buying ML Ehtos so I can have different set up for Music Stereo only. 

Cheers

Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 PM

*posted this on my original Thread as well*

Just a quick update. The speakers were delivered last week. The packaging was absolutely top notch. They even thought to use plastic guards to keep the straps from cutting in to the boxes, and everything was tightly packaged in foam, with both plastic and a cloth bag surrounding the speakers, and they made the boxes very easy to get in to and unpack.

I'll get this one out of the way first: the speakers are HUGE. That said, the lines and piano gloss black finish make them look very classy. My GF and her interior decorator said they felt like they were walking in to a Best Buy, so I took that as a compliment. The sub is quite possibly the largest sub I have ever encountered, and I only got the PB12 Plus. It is more aptly described as a piece of furniture, and I think I will be debating it's placement with my better half for some time to come.

I haven't gotten everything specifically calibrated just yet, and the speakers still need to be broken in, but all I can say is they sound incredible. The highs and mids are excellently detailed. I have my fron Ultra Towers bi-amped, and my goodness, the BASS. A lot of my acquaintances are bass junkies, and some so much that they ruin the rest of the detail with most of their vehicle builds. This is the first home system where I think they may even concede it is capable of MUCH more bass than necessary, while at the same time not sacrificing clarity in all other ranges. 4 Ultra towers and the PB12 Plus mean I might actually need to dial the base back a bit, but that is a great problem to have.

The Ultra Center is very clear and crisp, and sometimes seem on the very edge of being too forward when watching TV or playing low quality signals. That said, I have NOT calibrated beyond some normal tinkering (set to 80HZ for center, full range for the towers) and they still sound excellent.

I plan to put it through it's paces soon and update further, but the entire experience was great, and I was able to get a great deal working with Sonnie and Ed at SVS.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
Time to report back.

The Martin Logan's won, hands down. The sound is so gorgeous, and an amazingly huge soundstage. 2ch stereo feels three dimensional.int.
As an electrostat owner I never cared for box speakers or would ever buy one but I listened to some music at BB that I'm pretty sure was the ML Motion 40 last year and was shocked at the three dimensional sound stage as well. Again, good positioning and room acoustics?

Although I figured it was just room acoustics that favored that setup it was still the best sounding speaker I've heard as far as that goes. Just thought I'd post my thoughts to reinforce the other positive reviews. I think it's obvious that the negative reviews were from those who never auditioned them.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	340873

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	340881

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	340889

I for one, could not be happier with the Motion series from MartinLogan ... it's been almost two years now since I began de-Bose-ifying my home audio environment ... that's when, looking to audition some Monitor Audio bronze series towers for myself and some Def Tech bookshelf speakers for my son, we were given the opportunity to here the Motion 15s (comparing them to the Motion 4s) and the Motion 20s (comparing them to the Monitor Audio towers).
I haven't looked back since then ... they sound fabulous and look fantastic.

Teamed up with an SVS cylinder sub (one for each of us), my son has two Motion 15s and an ML LX16 for a sweet 3.1 rig for his apartment.
The Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s rig for myself never ceases to amaze me ... and after adding an Emotiva XPA-3 for the front 3 speakers, they have all the power they'll ever need.

We just moved to a new house that has a 29' x 16' living room and the Motion rig is right at home ... I think I'd have to be in a much larger space to even consider needing to upgrade to the newer, bigger Motion XTs.

I am set :-)

Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quick question for you guys, I'm a recent Motion 40 buyer and I currently have it bi-amped to my Pioneer Elite SC-71 receiver. My question is this, how long did it take for you guys to break in the speakers? I've been mainly watching movies and gaming since I bought the pair and it's been exactly 1 week since then. I'm estimating at least 3-4 hours on the weekday and 6-7+ hours on the weekends so far.

TV: Panasonic Viera VT50 55 | A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-71 | Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40's (Bi-Amped) | Cables: AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI Cables + AudioQuest Rocket 33's (split)
Old 10-31-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL24 View Post
Quick question for you guys, I'm a recent Motion 40 buyer and I currently have it bi-amped to my Pioneer Elite SC-71 receiver. My question is this, how long did it take for you guys to break in the speakers? I've been mainly watching movies and gaming since I bought the pair and it's been exactly 1 week since then. I'm estimating at least 3-4 hours on the weekday and 6-7+ hours on the weekends so far.
If I recall correctly, MartinLogan suggests about 72 hours for the break-in process ... looks like you're about half way there ... congrats on a fine new pair of speakers :-)

Name:	martinlogan-logo@2x.png
Views:	26
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	343034

Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
If I recall correctly, MartinLogan suggests about 72 hours for the break-in process ... looks like you're about half way there ... congrats on a fine new pair of speakers :-)

Attachment 343034
Awesome, glad I'm almost there!

I'm loving the Motion 40's! Best speakers I've ever had, can't wait to pair them up with a Motion 30 center channel!
TomC1315 likes this.

TV: Panasonic Viera VT50 55 | A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-71 | Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40's (Bi-Amped) | Cables: AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI Cables + AudioQuest Rocket 33's (split)
Old 11-01-2014, 12:30 PM

That sounds about right, 72 hours or so however id give it 100 hours since reference level is what we are suppose to watch films at and what not.

Here is a detailed link : http://hometheaterreview.com/martinl...kers-reviewed/

Great purchase! I've had mine for about 8 months or so and i still get blown away!

Cheers!
TomC1315 likes this.

B
Denon Lover
Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I really liked the 40's at BB as well. I tried to be more budget conscious and decided to buy the ARX speakers. They sound very similar and I saved a lot of money that way. Figured I would give my 2 cents on a comparison.
gman086 likes this.

Tags
Martinlogan Motion 40 Gloss White Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Bowers Wilkins Cm9 Floor Standing Speakers