Martin Logan Motion 40s vs B&W CM9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, Need some serious advice before I decide on spending money either way. I currently have Monitor Audio RX6 Silvers for my L & R and Center channel. I am considering upgrading my speakers and with that I went to our local Magnolia store. I did demo both the ML Motion 40s and CM9s, I always has been a big fan of B&W so wanted to get them but then when I heard ML I got into this debate on which one to decide. Though the MLs sounded better the output is not that high when compared to the CM9s and I have been looking for some help on the web but none to find. Some of you might tell me to trust my ears but need some additional input interms of either some using them for Home Theater and their experiences. Your advice and giving me the right direction is very much appreciated here.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Im not 100% sure why you would trade out the Monitors for either one.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #3 of 51 Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I would aim higher, than what you are looking at.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 51 Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, which other ones would you suggest to replace my existing gear?
post #5 of 51 Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for your reply...I feel even after upgrading my pre amp from Rotel RSP 1098 to Marantz AV7005 I am not convinced of the clarity in sound so thinking may be I need to get some that can support more power. Not sure if I am making sense...
post #6 of 51 Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I agree with the others. The Monitor RX6 is a very nice speaker. I think you need to set your sights higher than the CM9 or Motion 40. While both are nice speakers and more expensive I don't think the added price necessarily gets you better sound quality. You'd probably need to look at the B&W 800 series or Martin Logan Electromotion to list just two examples. There are some very nice internet direct companies out there that produce some nice speakers as well like Salk, Ascend Acoustics, and Philharmonic to name a few.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #7 of 51 Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I dont think that speakers which support more power handling has much to do with clarity. Now, AVRs are not the best units for clarity. if this is for HT then you might look at something like an emotiva ht surround sound processor. if this is for 2-ch, then look at an integrated amp like a Naim, Simaudio, Peachtree, rega or arcam. see if you can use one in your home for a couple weeks to see if they do what youre looking for.

if youre still not getting what you want, then audition speakers and take note of what speakers you like and what gear they are paired with.

you could also look at room treatments to see if they will help tame the room and give you the clarity and definition you feels missing.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #8 of 51 Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Hey all, circling back on the main topic, I am in a similar situation (though I have much less nice Polk RTiA7's currently). I have listened to both the Motion 40s and CM9 and I feel like the CM9s have a bit warmer overall sound, but the Motion 40s have clearer highs. I use my home theater setup nearly every day for a combo of music, tv/movies, and video games -- so am looking for speakers that are versatile.

Between these two, which would you guys choose, or is there something else that is far and away a better choice. One more consideration besides sound is that the Motion 40 fronts with Motion 30 center costs around $2600 at Best Buy, while the B&W CM9 fronts with CM Centre 2 is about $4200.

Thanks for the help!
post #9 of 51 Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy471 View Post

Hey all, circling back on the main topic, I am in a similar situation (though I have much less nice Polk RTiA7's currently). I have listened to both the Motion 40s and CM9 and I feel like the CM9s have a bit warmer overall sound, but the Motion 40s have clearer highs. I use my home theater setup nearly every day for a combo of music, tv/movies, and video games -- so am looking for speakers that are versatile.
Between these two, which would you guys choose, or is there something else that is far and away a better choice. One more consideration besides sound is that the Motion 40 fronts with Motion 30 center costs around $2600 at Best Buy, while the B&W CM9 fronts with CM Centre 2 is about $4200.
Thanks for the help!

You really should negotiate hard at Bestbuy. I purchased a pair of Motion 40s and Motion 6 center just recently. The quoted price was $2200 (950x2+300). I finally got it for $1850 + the Dynamo 500 sub for free (Amazon has it $500). Of course, I ended up visiting the store 3 times before I purchased. To be fair, all the trips were to listen to various speakers. But in the process, I kept talking to the same sales person. The price went from $950 to $900 and then $875. And then I told him about a friend that purchased it for $830 (made that one up). And they decided to match it. One evening, coincidently, I ended up going to another BB for something else and stopped at the Magnolia there and was surprised to hear them offer me the free Sub, but no discount on the speakers or the speakers at $800, but no free sub. Went back to the other BB (because I had spent so much time there) and the manager more than matched it (not sure why he did that though...) Gave them at 800$ each AND the Sub free. biggrin.gif

Anyway, check around different BBs. Atleast call, if you can't go.

HTH

nb
post #10 of 51 Old 12-01-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I honestly have no idea why someone would want to purchase a new pair of CM9's or Motion 40's when you can get the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower and Horizon center channel for the same price, or even the Salk's! Both of which would be much much better than the CM9's or Motion-40's! I realize that, no, you can't audition the Sierra Towers & Horizon Center before purchasing, but, there are tons of reviews out there and lots of comparisons to B&W 800 series and everyone of the reviews and comparisons highly favored the Ascends. I just really hate to see folks settle for sooo much less than what their budget allows.
post #11 of 51 Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
B&W CM series is not cost efficient opton. You need either get 68x which are roughly equivalentto MA Silver, or shoot higher with 80x series. Internet-direct options mentioned above are very good if you find some place to listened them, probably at home of another owner.
post #12 of 51 Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I think the CM9's have large impedance drops...that were charted in HT mags most recent testing and will require some decent amplification... something else to consider.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #13 of 51 Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I would suggest looking at the Kef R series, R700s more so. I believe on mid level lines (R vs CM) Kef is currently much ahead of B&W. I think you may be quite impressed. 800 vs Reference, a whole different argument.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #14 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the information guys. It sounds like everyone is pretty anti the B&W CM9's ? While the 800 series would be nice, it is such a large price jump...

The Ascend's look interesting, but I really like to audition speakers before purchase...

Good BB tip noobee!
post #15 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
It is not that CM9s are not good speakers, they certainly are, just that for that price range better options exist. I have heard nothing but good about the CMC2 (not CMC) center so certainly no slouch there. If you love both music and movies check out the Kef R series. If your focus is primarily movies, there may be better options such as JTR or other higher efficiency designs.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #16 of 51 Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
IMO, in the RX6 and the Marantz, you have pretty darn good speakers and amplification. From when I heard the RX6, I would say clarity is one of their strengths. Have you checked to make sure the tweeters are actually working? I have owned numerous speakers, and several times found out, upon investigation because of muddy sound, that tweeters were not working. If the tweeters are working properly and you are still not satisfied, I'd look at trying out some Dynaudio Excite 32 or Excite 36 towers, if you can swing it. They are very dynamic and may offer the sound you are looking for.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-dynaudio-excite-32-s-piano-black-2012-11-05-speakers-77656-silsbee-tx

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-dynaudio-excite-x36-floorstanders-rosewood-2012-11-11-speakers-95403-santa-rosa-ca

post #17 of 51 Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
i really don't want to sound like i'm saying you're wrong but i don't in anyway see how you think the motion 40's are better than the cm9's. The motion's did not simply disappear for me and the midrange did not sound any better than my tv speaker for the most part except with the motions it was almost like the midrange woofer was making vocals sound like they were rubbing against some thick construction paper.
The cm9's on the other hand have some of the smoothest mids that never get fatiguing(darker mids though) and the imaging is top notch with minute little details being sprung forward to you while the rest of the midrange stays back a little so they aren't in your face drowning everything out. The midbass punch was lacking a little but this could be because they needed better amplification than what they were getting. They got kind of low but i was impressed with how much pressure they were making.
What was your source? If bluray player, was it set to play 24/192?
Honestly didn't think the ml's were worth $600 a pair. Same with everyone that was with me.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #18 of 51 Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 AM

Hi I have a Denon AVR 3805 - with the Bose Acoustimass 10 - the huge sub with 6 of the little satellite speakers. It does sound fantastic but I am after a bit more depth from the front and was considering buying the CM9's to replace the satellites at the rom, just L&R - What do you (or an other tech-head) think? Cheers - Rob
post #19 of 51 Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Liked: 13
Just auditioned the 4os and rx6 , ill have to say is tuff. I think the logan is almost as good as a b&w 805 diamond. The salesmen fd up and had me at the diamonds for 4k. then we realized it was the Logan's for 1800$ yhat he was playing. So he got nervous and did a huge comparision. Yeah the diamonds were better. But no way 2k better, maybe a little better.. The Logan's would wipe the floor in home theater way bigger sound stage. The thing is he had them fed with a 2k tube amp. The rx6 I heard days early was on a 1200$ marantz. So who nows ... Haha but I was surprised with the logan 40s.
post #20 of 51 Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the journey to speakers i started at BestBuy Magnolia. They introduced me to Definitive Technology, Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics. However the sound was just not striking my interest. Now being my 7th visit now, i was introduced the Klipsch RF-82 Series. They sounded amazing, the horn technology was superb however i felt as if i was being yelled at. I went home and slept on it, the next day as i was sure i was getting those i saw the Martin Logan Speakers. These speakers were the Motion 40, they looked slick and beautiful rather aesthetic. I asked to listen to them and the sound was so beautiful, i had taken my personal music Chopin, Adele and some Johnny Cash. The Martin Logan blew the Klipchs-RF-82 out of the water. While there i also listened to the B&W's those i remember CM9's a little more expensive per speaker but just not as clear, the sound was too warm, not rich enough for me sounded a bit muffled. Also i only had a chance to listen to the center and the two floor speakers.

Long story short, i decided on the Martin Logan Motion Series. I purchased 2 Motion 40's, 4 Motion 15's, 1 Motion 30 and one Dynamo 1000. The setup is beautiful. Looks amazing as it sounds. The highs are clear and the Bi-Amp on the Motion 40's help with the sound. A lot clearer, the highs are crisp and since the Motion 40's have dual woofer near the bottom the bass is clear and very reproductive. Hormonal with the Dynamo, the mid's are very clear they reproduce a life like sound specially with high bit rate audio.

The Motion 15's I have them ceiling mounted. The highs are well balanced and clear and the mid's sound very good, at least to my liking. I'm not disappointed at all.

The Motion 30, this beautiful center sounds amazing, i know i have repeated this a lot but the speakers have a realistic sound output. i don't know the circumference of the speakers in the Motion 30 however there are 2 and a twitter, i believe it's a folded twitter. The clarity is noticeable, specially in scenes when the actor/actress in whispering for video games and SA-CD Audio as well.

The Martin Logan Speakers are connected to a Denon AVR-4311 Bi-Amped 7.1 surround. All speakers have Banana Plugs.

First post guys and ladies! I hope it's helpful! biggrin.gifconfused.gif

B
Denon Lover
post #21 of 51 Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 AM

Liked: 13
Sick set up... I felt the same way.. starting to think its gonna be Logan's or arx..
Utopianemo and BiGBryant like this.
post #22 of 51 Old 04-02-2013, 05:36 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Martin Logan for me means electostatic panels. For regular speaker technology I suggest to look somewhere else.
post #23 of 51 Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Martin Logan for me means electostatic panels. For regular speaker technology I suggest to look somewhere else.

I would agree, however the electro static speakers have a 30° audio stage, no blame on how amazing they sound even the ones that are not 15k. However, I didn't find them to be very good for theatre, or video games. Music is stunning but I believe it comes down to our listening and pocket lol.

But you are right!

B
Denon Lover
post #24 of 51 Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddledwitlead View Post

Sick set up... I felt the same way.. starting to think its gonna be Logan's or arx..

Hello!

Yes the Martin Logan's are amazing! Just an FYI the Motion 15, the Book shelf speakers are a bit tricky and painful for the wall and or ceiling mounts, here is what will work and likely the only thing that will. They have a 3/18-16 thread size on the back, so it's not common to have and hard to find.

The speaker brackets can be found on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Vantage-Point-BSM-B-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B0000DIX1Y/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1363911821&sr=8-12&keywords=vantage+point+speaker+mount

The brand is Vantage Point (www.thinkvp.com) and the model is BSM-B, they are discounted on Amazon of course.

Hope this helps!

If you have any questions over the speakers let me know! I've had them for about 2 months now, and their not broken in yet. apparently Martin Logan Recommends 75 hours of listening time at moderate volume -40.00db or -20.00db.

B
Denon Lover
post #25 of 51 Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 17
I'd take your current speakers over both of the ones you've mentioned.
post #26 of 51 Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

I'd take your current speakers over both of the ones you've mentioned.

You'd choose the Motion Series over the Electro Static Speakers?

How come?

B
Denon Lover
post #27 of 51 Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 17
No, over the Motions.
post #28 of 51 Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I don't understand posts like these. You honestly don't think Martin Logan can make a decent speaker that isn't an electrostat? After hearing the 40's and Goldenear Tritons and Aons with the ribbon tweeters there's no going back for me.

Look at basically every review of the 40's, they're fantastic speakers and unlike the Goldenears, they look pretty too.
post #29 of 51 Old 05-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

I don't understand posts like these. You honestly don't think Martin Logan can make a decent speaker that isn't an electrostat? After hearing the 40's and Goldenear Tritons and Aons with the ribbon tweeters there's no going back for me.

Look at basically every review of the 40's, they're fantastic speakers and unlike the Goldenears, they look pretty too.

That's exactly what i had thought. I just did not reply for the same reason!

I own the Motion Series. I can't say i've better! They look and sound amazing. Do you have a pair of the 40's?

Current setup

Motion 40's Bi-Amp
Motion 30 Center
Motion 15 (4) Surrounds
Dynamo 1000 Sub

Denon Receiver 4311 CI
Samsung PN60e7000

B
Denon Lover
post #30 of 51 Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBryant View Post

That's exactly what i had thought. I just did not reply for the same reason!

I own the Motion Series. I can't say i've better! They look and sound amazing. Do you have a pair of the 40's?

Current setup

Motion 40's Bi-Amp
Motion 30 Center
Motion 15 (4) Surrounds
Dynamo 1000 Sub

Denon Receiver 4311 CI
Samsung PN60e7000

Not yet. In the coming month I'm going to put a 40 system head to head with GE Aon3 system and let the best man win. Your setup looks fantastic, though I'm leaning toward the FX 2's for surrounds instead.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Martinlogan Motion 40 Gloss White Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Bowers Wilkins Cm9 Floor Standing Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page