AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   14x16 room... 900 dollar budget... for speakers... (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1441675-14x16-room-900-dollar-budget-speakers.html)

chrisf695 11-27-2012 06:45 AM

I am looking for help on which 5.1 system to buy for my family room. Kinda limited on space but wondering if i can get by with satellite speakers or what system would best fit this room. I have vaulted ceilings with a hardwood floor. Listen to 70% movies and 30% TV.

Thanks for you suggestions.

commsysman 11-27-2012 07:22 AM

I would suggest that you consider a set of KEF speakers.

I have owned them and they are hard to beat in that price range.

At KEF Direct they have the C3 speakers for $329; those could be your front speakers.

The C1, at $279, would be the rear speakers, and a C6 LCR center speaker runs $270.

KEF has been one or Britain's top speaker manufacturers for over 50 years; they make very good speakers.

A subwoofer would be additional, of course. Amazon has the Polk Audio PSW505 for only $189 at present, which is a heck of a deal.

For your room you definitely want a 12-inch sub with over 200 watts RMS, and most good ones are over $500. The PSW505 is probably the best you can get at this time with your budget, and it's not too bad.

chrisf695 11-27-2012 08:31 AM

How do you feel about the ProCinema 800 series? Would that deliver the same punch as the KEF setup? Thanks for the reply, the KEF setup sounds very interesting.

ousooner2 11-27-2012 08:33 AM

By limited space do you mean you want/need bookshelves up front or are towers still an option?

Also, do you want to spend $900 max or do you mind building a little bit over time and spending more than that? Still good options if you only wanted to spend a max of $900 on a 5.0/5.1.


You missed out of the EMP deal....that sucks. What looks like a very nice 5.0 for under $900. I'll be reviewing mine when I get it

chrisf695 11-27-2012 08:44 AM

Well right now i have b&w 684 for my fronts and the htm62 for a center and thats it. I have a buyer tonight coming to pick this system up for 900. I would like to just jump into a 5.1 system and be done with it. I thought i would do the same thing with my b&w setup with adding over time... but funds were never there to do that.

zieglj01 11-27-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf695 View Post

Well right now i have b&w 684 for my fronts and the htm62 for a center and thats it. I have a buyer tonight coming to pick this system up for 900. I would like to just jump into a 5.1 system and be done with it. I thought i would do the same thing with my b&w setup with adding over time... but funds were never there to do that.
How much bass response are you looking for - and are you looking for
satellite type speakers, or do you want bookshelves?

chrisf695 11-27-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

How much bass response are you looking for - and are you looking for
satellite type speakers, or do you want bookshelves?


How much of a performance difference is there between them? I want whatever has the best performance for the buck. I found the Procinema 800 for $800 bucks. But the KEF C1 5.1 package looks also really good too.

paradigm 5.1 ct 100 also.... that compare with these systems?


http://www.ebay.com/itm/221095078109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-ProCinema-800-Speaker-System-/221156940170?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item337dfb198a

zieglj01 11-27-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf695 View Post

How much of a performance difference is there between them? I want whatever has the best performance for the buck. I found the Procinema 800 for $800 bucks. But the KEF C1 5.1 package looks also really good too.
paradigm 5.1 ct 100 also.... that compare with these systems?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221095078109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-ProCinema-800-Speaker-System-/221156940170?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item337dfb198a

In general, bookshelf speakers with bigger woofers, bring better bass performace and
tend to go lower for an easier crossover to the sub.

The KEF looks decent, so to speak - not drawn to their sub

Definitive Tech and Paradigm can be nice.

If I needed to do a sub/sat system, I would lean towards the Acoustic Energy set from AC4L.
Acoustic Energy makes some well designed and engineered speakers. >> Their dual 8" sub
looks nice for a subwoofer that size, and seems to be heavy and well built. >> That system
use to sell for a list price of around $2000.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/ACOUSTIC+ENERGY/results/1.html

With that said, I would aim for a bigger system - if you can fit it. Also go to HTD.com and
look at their Level Two speakers - however, there are some better sub options around. >
It depends on how much bass you want.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

Kini62 11-27-2012 02:44 PM

5 NHT Superzero 2.0s and a SV Sound PB1000. That's $1K total. Just over your budget. You can get to $900 if you maybe go with the Pioneer speakers have more money for a bigger sub.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354052589&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=pioneer+sp-bs22-lr+bookshelf+loudspeakers+pair

GusGus748s 11-28-2012 02:02 AM

HTD level 2 bookshelf $199.00
HTD level 2 center $129.00
HTD level 2 sub $349.00
HTD level 2 surround $129 X 2 = $258

Total: $935.00 does not include shipping.

Or you can substitute the surround sound speakers for satellite speakers, which would bring the price down.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.