Need HELP! Bought Klipsch KF-28... What Now? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, everybody!
I'm completely new in this field of electronics but have a great desire to learn!
I just received Klipsch Icon KF-28 (pair) and realized that there are no cables in the package.

So, I have to start from a bottom.
I know that I'll need a receiver in further future (waiting for some sale), but for now I would like to hook those speakers on TV, and obviously I need cables for it.
I read a few topics about bi-amp and bi-wire and really do not know what is what.
Please HELP!

Specifications of my speakers from Klipsch website:
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 1800Hz
DEPTH: 16" (40.6 cm)
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF (medium density fiberboard)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing port
FINISH: Black Ash vinyl
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35Hz-23KHz ± 3dB
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: 1" (2.54cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 90° square Tractrix® Horn
INPUTS: Dual binding posts / bi-wire / bi-amp
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: Dual 8" (20.3cm), magnetically shielded IMG woofers
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION: 32Hz
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak
SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m

What those inputs mean for me? What should I know from that?

Any type of help is appreciated!!
Thank you everyone...

P.S. I know that this post is far from professional, but I have to start from somewhere smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNYC View Post

Hi, everybody!
I'm completely new in this field of electronics but have a great desire to learn!
I just received Klipsch Icon KF-28 (pair) and realized that there are no cables in the package.
I know that I'll need a receiver in further future (waiting for some sale), but for now I would like to hook those speakers on TV, and obviously I need cables for it.
I read a few topics about bi-amp and bi-wire and really do not know what is what.
Please HELP!
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: 1" (2.54cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 90° square Tractrix® Horn
Thank you everyone...
P.S. I know that this post is far from professional, but I have to start from somewhere smile.gif

Well, I am far from a pro in this field, but I sincerely doubt you can hook those speakers directly to a television and hope for sound; you will need some kind of receiver in order to make them, um, work.

Furthermore, regarding wires, you will need some kind of speaker wire. I would suggest that you start with a normal gauge wire--maybe 14 (something that you can cheaply buy at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, wherever), and strip the covers off it around one inch in order to reveal the wire. Then, you plug the wire (make sure you match positive with positive and negative with negative--they will be marked on both the wire and the speaker), into the speakers and the RECEIVER. Do not attempt to plug them into a television directly. After this is complete, you should have sound. Do not worry about bi-amping or bi-wiring at all right now, as you do not have the requisite components to make it work.

Best of luck!
post #3 of 20 Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSparty View Post

Well, I am far from a pro in this field, but I sincerely doubt you can hook those speakers directly to a television and hope for sound; you will need some kind of receiver in order to make them, um, work.

Best of luck!

Thank you for response.
I was looking for a few receivers - Sony DN-1030, Onkyo TX-NR515, and DENON AVR-1913/1912....
What do you (anyone) are saying about this choice?
What are main things that I should be concern about (know what I want) before I buy receiver?
In specs from my speakers I have a 150W RMS... Does that mean that my receiver should have at least 100W Amplifier Output???

I learned about AirPlay and if receiver doesn't have it - never mind, but what are key features that I should not miss?
Video output? Is that a MUST or not...
I hope you understood what I meant...

Thank you for helping me!!
post #4 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Bestbuy and Klipsch are partners. Go to Best-buy with the specifications of your speakers, they will help you. I have the same speakers, I use Yamaha RX-V673 7.2 and I am very happy with it. it is about $600, but you can find a decent receiver for about $300.

good luck
post #5 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you..
I went to BB and asked them..
They told me that best receiver is Pioneer (for my speakers) cauze Yamaha is going to give a lot of bass, so I bought Pioneer VSX-1122...
I wanted to have something for a few years...
Until it comes, I have to figure out what cables to buy.
(BB offered me a cable for $100! Is that a NORMAL price for cables??)
Any suggestion? Where to go? What to ask?
post #6 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thank you..
They told me that best receiver is Pioneer (for my speakers) cauze Yamaha is going to give a lot of bass, so I bought Pioneer VSX-1122...

Were these cables to the speakers or power cables an such? check out monoprice.com. They have just about all the wiring you need and much better prices than BB. Not that BB cables are bad but they're just ridiculously overpriced.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #7 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Thank you..

Yea, cable is important. In the end it will carry the signal with all that high and low freq. which makes sound amazing. The ideal cable is gold, then silver smile.gif but they will be very expensive for you. The third option is copper and it is expensive too.

In the market you will find copper covered aluminum cables. they would be enough for you since the speakers are not high-end. 16' or 18' gauge wire will be OK for that speakers. And see if the cable has +/- pole marks on it.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Hi, everybody!
Please HELP!
Thank you everyone...

BTW, do you have a sub-woofer to support these floor-stand speakers?
post #9 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerener View Post

BTW, do you have a sub-woofer to support these floor-stand speakers?
No I do not.
I'm planning to upgrade my speakers w/ central unit speaker, but not until I put some money on the side :-)
Why central - I was told that these Klipsch speakers have a great bass, so didn't think I need sub woofer right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post

Were these cables to the speakers or power cables an such? check out monoprice.com. They have just about all the wiring you need and much better prices than BB. Not that BB cables are bad but they're just ridiculously overpriced.
Thank you!
I bought 14 AWG from monoprice.com
They were really nice explaining what is better for me.
Quote:

Yea, cable is important. In the end it will carry the signal with all that high and low freq. which makes sound amazing. The ideal cable is gold, then silver smile.gif but they will be very expensive for you. The third option is copper and it is expensive too.
In the market you will find copper covered aluminum cables. they would be enough for you since the speakers are not high-end. 16' or 18' gauge wire will be OK for that speakers. And see if the cable has +/- pole marks on it.
Thank you so much!
post #10 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

will a gold or silver speaker wire really transmit a better signal? and could I tell the difference, in a double blind test? wink.gif

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #11 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

The ideal cable is gold, then silver smile.gif but they will be very expensive for you. The third option is copper and it is expensive too.

You forgot about platinum rolleyes.gif

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:

No I do not.
I'm planning to upgrade my speakers w/ central unit speaker, but not until I put some money on the side :-)
Why central - I was told that these Klipsch speakers have a great bass, so didn't think I need sub woofer right away.

Thank you!
Thank you so much!

You're welcome. You can find a lot of sites from here to help find components at lower prices.

What size room do you plan to place these speakers in? I do agree on getting the center before the subwoofer and while the KF-28's do produce plenty of bass, looking at the spec sheet, a sub will always be better. I suggest saving up for one as you can find some good entry ones for cheap (Bic F12 and Klipsch RW-12D are two examples). When purchasing new speakers, try and made sure that you match them with your floorstanding ones so that your sound is consistent. You can always check the Klisch site and speak with their techs as they can provide you with the best answers to any questions you have,

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #13 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

platinum is not a good conductor

http://metaldetectingworld.com/conductive_order_metals.shtml
post #14 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

platinum is not a good conductor
http://metaldetectingworld.com/conductive_order_metals.shtml

I was being facetious, but here's a link for you that you really should read:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

will a gold or silver speaker wire really transmit a better signal? and could I tell the difference, in a double blind test? wink.gif

I guess you can increase the performance with 1% rate if everything is silver (speaker coil, crossover, connectors, cable) smile.gif

In short distances the cable diameter is more important, bigger diameter low resistance which is good. And copper wire is good as silver or gold in conductivity for listening.

They use silver coated copper wires for high end speakers and they make cable connectors silver or gold plated to prevent corrosion. Corrosion increases the resistance of the cable and it reduces the signal quality.

In conclusion,

if your ears are very sensitive and you are rich go for silver smile.gif
post #16 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

well I was wrong, the correct order is silver, copper, gold smile.gif
post #17 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

No I do not.
Thank you!
Thank you so much!

Buy a sub-woofer and see what 'great bass" is all about smile.gif it makes a lot of difference. I always recommend a sub for stereo listening.

If you have music DVDs, since they are 5+1 multichannel recorded, you will need center and left-right surround speakers because it makes you feel like you are in the concert smile.gif

BTW, you can always adjust your receiver's bass/treble or equ. settings if you want to boost treble, you don't need a center speaker for this.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Buy a sub-woofer and see what 'great bass" is all about smile.gif it makes a lot of difference. I always recommend a sub for stereo listening.
If you have music DVDs, since they are 5+1 multichannel recorded, you will need center and left-right surround speakers because it makes you feel like you are in the concert smile.gif
BTW, you can always adjust your receiver's bass/treble or equ. settings if you want to boost treble, you don't need a center speaker for this.
Thank you - good to know..
but not until I MAKE some budget cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post

You're welcome. You can find a lot of sites from here to help find components at lower prices.
What size room do you plan to place these speakers in? I do agree on getting the center before the subwoofer and while the KF-28's do produce plenty of bass, looking at the spec sheet, a sub will always be better. I suggest saving up for one as you can find some good entry ones for cheap (Bic F12 and Klipsch RW-12D are two examples). When purchasing new speakers, try and made sure that you match them with your floorstanding ones so that your sound is consistent. You can always check the Klisch site and speak with their techs as they can provide you with the best answers to any questions you have,
Room size is 9x12.
Thank you for your tip about next step!
post #19 of 20 Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Thank you - good to know..
but not until I MAKE some budget cool.gif
Room size is 9x12.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354831019&sr=8-1&keywords=polk+audio+subwoofer
post #20 of 20 Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Room size is 9x12.

Those KF-28's should hold you off on your subwoofer purchase until necessary. Your room is smaller than where I have my RF-82 II's right now and while not earth shattering, they do produce a good amount of bass. Looking at the specs, the speakers are pretty close in performance so you can expect the same. As stated, the Bic F12 and Klipsch RW-12D will definitely provide great bass for you. While a bit pricier, you can find HSU and SVS subs that provide better response than the mass market subwoofers.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page