Cambridge sound works model 6 vs. Parts express Overnight Sensations kit - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Best bookshelf speaker value
Cambridge Soundworks Model 6 0 0%
Parts Express Overnight sensations kit 1 50.00%
Other (specify below) 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for some bookshelf type speakers and I've noticed that the Model 6 and the Overnight Sensation kit from partsexpress.com are about the same price (as well as some random craigslist offerings from klipsch, focal, and energy). I'm going to use them to start a home theater/home audio setup, with receiver to be determined. I'm wondering what people thing the best sound for the money is. Should I go the DIY route? Should I opt for the tried and true Model 6? Should I take a closer look at the used market and see if I can find a diamond in the rough? What would you do?

Here are links to the speakers mentioned above:
http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/Cambridge-SoundWorks-Model-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0034ZZ5W6
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-706

Edit: Any ideas on how the Polk Monitor 35b compares to the Overnight sensations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone able to share some thoughts?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Level TWO Bookshelf Speakers for $199 pair

http://www.htd.com/Products/bookshelf-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

EMP Tek E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers $250.00 PAIR

http://www.emptek.com/e5bi.php
Johnnie.walker likes this.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #4 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts about the polk monitor 35b or the Polk RTI A3 or RTI A1? I've also been looking into the Boston Acoustics CS26 II. It seems like the Monitor 35B and the CS26 II are right in my price range with the RTI A1 and A3 stretching the budget quite a bit. I know the RTIs got good reviews on stereophile.com. Can you comment on the quality and value of these compared to the other speakers mentioned?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It's often good to talk about what size speaker you want, the size of the room, and how you plan to use the speakers if you want advice. Then there's a better chance of getting something that fits your needs.

Are the Focal's on craigslist still available?

Given that you're new to the hobby, you may find your needs change. So resale value matters. I'd avoid kits and other odd speakers, hard to resell.

I expect you can find reviews on the Model 6.

The Polk RTi series goes on sale from time to time, if you can wait that's an option too. The RTi A1 were $179 at NewEgg not long ago, and that means they probably will be again. Example.

Review of the RTi A1, worth waiting for if you can and that speaker fits your needs.

I know nothing about them, but Polk Monitor 45B at NewEgg for $200 a pair, Model 35B for $150

There's a lot of discussion in this forum of the Pioneer SP- BS41, at $90 a pair the value there is close to unbeatable if budget is really tight. Get the center now if you think you may ever want to use them for home theater.
Johnnie.walker likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Here's a little more info that may be helpful. I'm thinking about getting a Denon 1613 or 1612 receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. The room we have now is quite small (~14 x ~14ft), but we rent and will most likely be moving in the next couple of years. In the future I'll be adding a center, sub, and rears (probably in that order. Possibly adding towers and moving the bookshelf speakers to rears). I'm looking to use these to listen to music from MP3 and streaming sources and watching TV and movies. Upon doing some more research, some of the speakers I'm considering are:

Polk Monitor 30, 35, 40, and 45
Polk RTI 4 and 6 Polk RTI A1 and A3 (over budget, but I read good reviews on stereophile and would love to get the newegg deal the above poster mentioned)
Boston Acoustics CS 26 II
Cambridge Soundworks Model 6
Infinity Primus p163
Pioneer SP BS22 (I know these have gotten great reviews, but FWIW I don't really care for the looks of the grills)
Dayton B652

I'd like to get something that offers a matching center for my future expansion plans. As a reference point, I have some old Klipsch pro media 2.1 speakers hooked up to my computer now, which I think sounds pretty good, but the bass is a little muddy sounding to me (but that may because I had to put the sub in a corner so it's a little overbearing for the office).
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Level TWO Bookshelf Speakers for $199 pair

http://www.htd.com/Products/bookshelf-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
EMP Tek E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers $250.00 PAIR

http://www.emptek.com/e5bi.php

Thanks for your help. I really like the look of the Level Two. I'm wondering how they compare to some of the more commercially available stuff. I want to be sure I can expand easily with matching speakers, particularly the center.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page