Utilizing Energy Take Classic and RC Micro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ordered the take classics on sale at newegg and they arrived today. The center channel just barely doesn't fit where I wanted it to in front of the TV. Now it is stuck in a manner that blocks the view some and it bugs me. I got to thinking about ordering an rc micro center on ebay and substituting that into my equation. Any thoughts on how that would work? Also, what if I ordered 2 micro sattelites for my surround as they will be mounted on walls and smaller? I would then sell my classic center and 2 satellites on the bay or craigslist. I know, I should have just got the micros in the first place, but now that they are delivered and hooked up, its too late. I got a good price, and by selling the others I should come out ok. By mixing, perhaps I get the best of both worlds...Thoughts?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Why dont you just raise your TV? You can get a TV riser for pretty cheap.

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Why dont you just raise your TV? You can get a TV riser for pretty cheap.

I thought about that, but it's actually creating (2) problems. I had hoped it would fit within the base for my TV. The new LG tv's have a rectangular frame, and it just misses resting within by .25". To make matters worse, my TV is on a mantle, so then the speaker needs to sit in front of the base, further from the tv, blocking the viewing more so because of the upward viewing angle. Also, the only space in front like that is the mantle itself, and I'm sure all the married men know how that can go over with the wifey. The micro center would fit perfectly in front of the TV.

I ignored the micros at first because they were more $, and I assumed they were not as nice based on cnet's review. After some reading on this forum last night, they seem to get some good reviews. And of course this morning, I found them on sale at Tiger Direct for $129 + free shipping, same deal I got on the classics. I'm likely going to pull the trigger and either go with all micros, or possibly mix and match. The (2) take classics I have at the L and R position fit fine. I may keep those, and use the micro center and (2) micro satellites for the rear wall mounts. Then I could offer on Craigslist a take classic L/C/R and micro satellites to try and get some funds back. Any thoughts on that? Is there a benefit to mixing, or should I just go all micro?

Thanks
post #4 of 6 Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Update...I ordered a set of micros. I've decided to hook up all 5 and see what I think. I ran Audyssey on my Denon 1713 and it set the crossovers at 150. My sub is a psw505. Thoughts on this set up? Should I lower crossover to 120 hz? Would there be a benefit of putting back in the take classic right and left. Those were set to crossover at 80.
Thanks again for he help, this is all so new to me

Joe
post #5 of 6 Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong but looking at the stats of both energy systems. dont lower the micros below 150. the takes should not be lower than 115. also, all front 3 speakers should match. so i wouldnt use take right and left with micro center.

it looks like since you cant use the take center youre going to have to sell that speaker setup and just use the micro 5.0

though you could use the takes as surround if you use the micros front left and center.

post #6 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post

hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong but looking at the stats of both energy systems. dont lower the micros below 150. the takes should not be lower than 115. also, all front 3 speakers should match. so i wouldnt use take right and left with micro center.
it looks like since you cant use the take center youre going to have to sell that speaker setup and just use the micro 5.0
though you could use the takes as surround if you use the micros front left and center.

Ok, had some time to read some more and I think you are right, I'm going to keep the setup with all micros and leave my crossover at 150 like audyssey had. 2 more questions. I ran audyssey again to see results a second time, tried a few different listening positions and now the rear crossover is at 200. Should I leave that be? Finally, do I leave my sub setting at 120 hz on the lfe menu, or bump that up to 150? Thanks for the help
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page