Sell my B&W setup... for Satellite's?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So I am kinda in a hard place with my current system... Right now currently I have one B&W HTM62 center and two B&W 684's with a Yamaha RX-V663 with a 60" Samsung. I had always hope I would finish my setup with rears and sub but 2 years later i still just don't have the funds to complete my B&W setup.

So... my wife suggested we sell what we have in speakers and get something smaller and get a 5.1 system. I do have a friend of a friend that would buy my B&W's for a very fair price and then i could swing a very nice Satellite setup... paradigm 100 ct or ProCinema 800/1000 etc.

Its been real nice having the B&W setup but i really would like to enjoy a 5.1 system because of all the movies we watch, not so much music though. Can you guys give me your point of vew on this? Should i still hold out for a possible another year or so before adding the sub and rears to my setup or just sell it off now and get a really nice bookshelf / Satellite system.

I have a 19 X 16 room with vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Keep what you have and buy simple satellites to go with them.

Your rears do not need to match.

Oooops - didn't see you were missing a sub too; that's key to the HT experience.

How much funds would be available to buy a sub in the near term? Again, it does not have to match and there are decent options in the $250-ish range.

Buy a sub first (near term), then rears (mid term), then think about saving to buy better ones (long term).

Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

Keep what you have and buy simple satellites to go with them.
Your rears do not need to match.
Oooops - didn't see you were missing a sub too; that's key to the HT experience.
How much funds would be available to buy a sub in the near term? Again, it does not have to match and there are decent options in the $250-ish range.

It will be another 30-90 days before i can spend some cash on anything audio... my boat is sucking up most of my cash with its restoration, and it has to get done this winter.

I really had no clue to what i was buying at the time when i got the B&W's, the guy at the AV store said i would be happy... which i am. But I really just want the full theater experience now.

Thanks for the responds.

Would the KEF C1 5.1 system compare at all to what i have?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221095078109?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I say you'll regret it! However, I think there's an important question that needs to be answered: how much can you invest in the next 3 months or so in speakers? I think that, for $500, you could finish your setup. If should be "easy" to find a $400 subwoofer and $100 a pair bookshelfs. And if you are lucky, you may be able to find some good deals.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

If you go the sell and replace route, you are probably still better to get the 5.0 as a package and then a separate (and superior) sub.

Not familiar with that C1 package, my HT is KEF but the iQ series.

I really like the DefTechs.

If you sold the B&W, how much would you have to spend now? Easier to make suggestions when there is a known budget.

Probably best to get a 3.1 now and then buy rears when you can afford (in 30-90 days). Unless you get a great deal, then you have 5.1 now and funds for movie wine in a few months wink.gif

Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickVogeli View Post

I say you'll regret it! However, I think there's an important question that needs to be answered: how much can you invest in the next 3 months or so in speakers? I think that, for $500, you could finish your setup. If should be "easy" to find a $400 subwoofer and $100 a pair bookshelfs. And if you are lucky, you may be able to find some good deals.

Im thinking i could swing the 500 in the next 3 months... im more committed to finishing this off... My brother just got a 5.1 setup and it isnt the B&W grade but it knocked the socks of me... but it was the fact he had the 5.1 setup and that made the biggest difference... in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

If you go the sell and replace route, you are probably still better to get the 5.0 as a package and then a separate (and superior) sub.
Not familiar with that C1 package, my HT is KEF but the iQ series.
I really like the DefTechs.
If you sold the B&W, how much would you have to spend now? Easier to make suggestions when there is a known budget.
Probably best to get a 3.1 now and then buy rears when you can afford (in 30-90 days). Unless you get a great deal, then you have 5.1 now and funds for movie wine in a few months wink.gif

I can get at least a 1,000 bucks for my setup right now... so that would be my budget.

So... just so that I get this right. The first thing I should buy is a SUB right? then the rears? (If i dont sell)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf695 View Post

I can get at least a 1,000 bucks for my setup right now... so that would be my budget.

That's a fair budget for 5.1 (plenty of threads in that price range), definitely get a decent 3.1 for that. Too bad you missed Black Friday events though...
Quote:
So... just so that I get this right. The first thing I should buy is a SUB right? then the rears? (If i dont sell)

Generally speaking, if one is building a 5.1 in pieces, the steps are 2.1 then 3.1 then 5.1.

So from where you are at 3.0, definitely go 3.1 then 5.1.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the next thing is... Im in a condo... not always going to be that way considering my wife is finshing up medical school and she will start working(Thank God!) So a house is in the picture someday soon and by then the B&W setup would be better.

I am so confused on what too do!!! Hate this!! LOL

I might just go out and and buy a SUB and say screw it. See how i feel after that, Im sure the sub would make a difference on how my setup sounds then.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

What Sub can you guys recommend then... for say... 200-250 bucks??
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What Sub can you guys recommend then... for say... 200-250 bucks??

BIC F12 for $200.

Checkout the subwoofer area - but that is one of the "standard" suggestions.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Another option is the Polk PSW505 on newegg for $190. A lot of sub for the money.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I guess the next thing is... Im in a condo... not always going to be that way considering my wife is finshing up medical school and she will start working(Thank God!) So a house is in the picture someday soon and by then the B&W setup would be better.
I am so confused on what too do!!! Hate this!! LOL
I might just go out and and buy a SUB and say screw it. See how i feel after that, Im sure the sub would make a difference on how my setup sounds then.

Just a thought, the neighbors might have something to say about a sub in a condo situation. I might wait until I moved into a house before buying a sub. Low frequencies carry through walls and floors much more easily than the setup you have now.

In the meanwhile, you might consider the excellent Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers for surrounds. The sound quality is more than good enough for any movie soundtrack surround effects and I think you will find the price to be a steal.

My Blog - Ask Toy Tech
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech View Post

Just a thought, the neighbors might have something to say about a sub in a condo situation. I might wait until I moved into a house before buying a sub. Low frequencies carry through walls and floors much more easily than the setup you have now.
In the meanwhile, you might consider the excellent Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers for surrounds. The sound quality is more than good enough for any movie soundtrack surround effects and I think you will find the price to be a steal.

Thats fantastic... they are at best buy for 130 right now and i have a 100 dollar gift card.

I also just found this on good old Craigslist...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/3437230075.html

THANK YOU everybody for the help! You guys rock!!

Staying with my setup and getting the speakers above and picking up the sub at lunch today... LOL that was real quick!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement