Official Energy Rip-Off Thread - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Will you think twice before buying Energy speakers?
Yes, quality product and customer support are very important. I don't want to risk losing my money. 1 20.00%
I'll buy them anyway if the price is right. 1 20.00%
I don't care as I'm sure their quality is top-notch and nothing bad is going to happen. 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Next time you guys shop around for speakers think twice, no ... 3 or 10 times before buying anything from Energy. I loved the RC-70-s and I got two pairs of Energy Veritas 6.2, since they are very similar... Really nice looking speakers, I give them that... but looks are the only thing where they excel. One tweeter was DOA... well, not totally dead, but the highs were really muffled, they just weren't there... The tweeter on my second pair went after a few weeks of careful use . Since the retailer didn't have them in stock anymore , they couldn't exchange them and told me to contact Energy. I was fine with that , they seemed decent in other aspects. So I wrote to Energy customer support and told them that I wanted to exchange tweeters and was willing to switch them myself...Energy REFUSED TO HONOR THE WARRANTY !!! They simply ignored me. I wrote a review on their site , telling about the design flaw and...surprise! The review has never been posted !
So, what do we ultimately get by buying their products ? 50 % chance of getting a speaker that doesn't work and total lack of customer support and desire to stand behind their products. Keep it in mind when you decide to buy new speakers...

I am not a newbie in audiophile world, aside from decent HT with Oppo 95 and Integra 70.1 AVR I run a dedicated balanced stereo setup with Thule Audio PR250 pre-amp , Thule Audio PA 350 poweramp and Polk Audio LSi15 speakers.. There's no way I could have abused those Energies... I know how to treat my speakers. They just have a design flaw, of which , I am sure, Energy is aware but.... They chose to ignore their customers and their feedback. They have stopped caring about their image and quality since they were bought by Klipsch and, consequently, by Audiovox. The company is being run into the ground. And we are the ones who suffer from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wonder why they would refuse to honor the warranty ... that seems really strange to me.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
did you buy from an authorized dealer?

post #4 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I did. Bougt'em from Vann's. And Energy simply ignored me.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdusted View Post

Vann's "performance" wasn't all that impressive either... Perhaps they can get through to Energy on your behalf ?
post #6 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
call Energy instead of writing.

/thread

post #7 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I had a tweeter go bad on my C-500 randomly. Never listened loudly or anything. I called Energy and they were prompt in sending me another one, though I paid for it due to no warranty. Call them and they'll look up the part and send it out to you when they can

Panny 65st60 / Denon X1000 / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i
post #8 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Well... According to a Klipsch rep, because of Vann's bankruptcy filing, they lost "authorized dealer" status... despite the fact that Vann's still advertises that they are an authorized Klipsch/Energy/Mirage/Jamo dealer. I don't remember exactly when this occurred, but more info on it can be found in the Energy owner's thread - a member here at AVS was in contact with that Klipsch rep.

In any case, depending when you bought them from Vann's, Audiovox (who own's the above mentioned brands) may consider it a purchase from an unathorized dealer and may not honor the warranty.

Like UGAd13 stated, try calling Energy directly. If that doesn't get you anywhere, perhaps take this up with Vann's, and go after a refund...especially if you're still within the return window. Not sure how much luck you'll have with Vann's though, given their current bankruptcy.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
Call them.

If they refuse get your ducks in a row and call their state's attorney general/consumer protection division. Usually gets the ball rolling.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for advice.

Vann's is still listed on their website as an authorized retailer.
I always prefer to write or email, this way I have everything in black and white... while when you call, people can promise you anything you want to hear but later on there will not be any proof of this conversation and statements/promises made. Have had it happen to me more than once.

Today I took one tweeter to some guy who repairs speakers... he said it was clearly a factory defect ... he owed me a favor and fixed it for me , so I got one tweeter working now... But I've run out of favors and I still have one bad tweeter and two more speakers with a potential problem.
post #11 of 29 Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 320
energy v tweeter are only about $30, I bought a pair in case the damage is my fault.

so far one year with my veritas v6.3, v5.1,v5.2 and vs without any problem.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Well, the latest word is that Energy doesnt make speakers anymore. That is why all their speakers have been blowing out at such low prices.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 76
wow, where did you hear that?

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #14 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It's been all over the Energy Thread here, and there is a picture of the new Monoprice 5.01 system, which is obviously the old Energy Take 5 system. They are owned by the same company that owns Mirage and others now, and I guess are going in a different direction.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I called energy and they told me that they still making parts, I also explain this situation ,he saw this page ,the guy told me that they are been trying to help you here in the us,but you are from ukraine and that you are not telling the whole story just your side of the story.You bough this speakers in the us and got then send to Ukraine.Even with all this situation and the hard time that you are giving to then they had been trying to help you, but here in the us not at Ukraine, You want the parts to be send to ukraine.

sorry put vanns instead of energy fixed.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
post #16 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
For those of us that bought from Vanns when they were definitely an authorized retailer, are our warranties now void?
post #17 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

For those of us that bought from Vanns when they were definitely an authorized retailer, are our warranties now void?

I call vanns they told me your warranty wont be void but the part have to be fix or send to the us.then you will receive the replacement part to a us address.so everything must be done here in us.

post #18 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I call vanns they told me your warranty wont be void but the part have to be fix or send to the us.then you will receive the replacement part to a us address.so everything must be done here in us.
Ya OK, that's what I thought. Thanks for phoning and checking. Your first response scared me a bit...

I never would have expected them to ship warranty parts to Canada ,let alone the Ukraine. It's funny how some people can so easily cast themselves into the role of the victim.
post #19 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:

Thanks for advice.
Vann's is still listed on their website as an authorized retailer.
I always prefer to write or email, this way I have everything in black and white... while when you call, people can promise you anything you want to hear but later on there will not be any proof of this conversation and statements/promises made. Have had it happen to me more than once.
Today I took one tweeter to some guy who repairs speakers... he said it was clearly a factory defect ... he owed me a favor and fixed it for me , so I got one tweeter working now... But I've run out of favors and I still have one bad tweeter and two more speakers with a potential problem.[/quote
Use speaker phone and tape the conversation with your Voice recorder

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #20 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post

Ya OK, that's what I thought. Thanks for phoning and checking. Your first response scared me a bit...
I never would have expected them to ship warranty parts to Canada ,let alone the Ukraine. It's funny how some people can so easily cast themselves into the role of the victim.

+1

If the OP is from the Ukraine, this was a lame thread to start. His situation does not apply to most people--it's just a gripe session, not informative at all rolleyes.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #21 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This is the OPs fault and not a fault of Energy or Vanns. There are a ton of members on here from Canada that ordered Energy from Vanns knowing that the warranty would not apply unless they had a U.S. address that it would be shipped to. Period. I have owned take 5s, cc10/cf70s/cb10s and currently own rc70s/rc10s and rc-lcr without any issue. I do believe Energy is probably going to be phased out in the next few years and have been putting out questionable products lately, but as far as past products and especially Veritas they are top notch. I'm sorry that you got a few duds, but that can happen with any product. Good Luck.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #22 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 323
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Hahaha, nice detective work Losservatore!

Seems the OP was leaving out some key details in his story.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #23 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

It's been all over the Energy Thread here, and there is a picture of the new Monoprice 5.01 system, which is obviously the old Energy Take 5 system. They are owned by the same company that owns Mirage and others now, and I guess are going in a different direction.
Interesting I haven't owned energy a in a few years but surprised they dropped the energy line. I don't follow energy news like I used to. That's a shame to hear that.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #24 of 29 Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Phew glad to hear I still have warranty on my RCs biggrin.gif

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #25 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

Where did you get this from? They look nothing alike and I seriously doubt they are the same system.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #26 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

Where did you get this from? They look nothing alike and I seriously doubt they are the same system.
Nope, they look nothing alike. rolleyes.gif
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=9774&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269024&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
post #27 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Title of this thread is a bit off it seems. Sorry to hear they're retiring the Energy brand so to speak but not surprising considering the usual consolidation the new owner must be doing....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #28 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Oh damn they do look the same which is sad. As losservatore said the chinese can imitate anything (just look at apple products) , but with klipsh/audiovox phasing out quality companies (energy/mirage/Jamo/athena) I wouldnt doubt it...cool.gif Thanks for the link and let us know when Monoprice rips off some RC-10s at a good price. smile.gif

Edit* i did google the monoprice 5.1 that you were talking about, but never came up with the link you provided.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #29 of 29 Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I would love to see Monoprice RC-10's. I got one of the last pairs from Vann's. I am truly impressed with them. It is really kind of sad, Energy has made great speakers for a long time, and now Audiovox is relegating them to cheap crap. But maybe with the large outcry over their demise, maybe they will reconsider?
It is interesting that they seem to be keeping it quiet, but they have been blowing out virtually every speaker line they sell, with no new models appearing.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page