Helping friend with budget build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm helping a friend piece out a new HT set up for his home, it'll be in a multipurpose living room/HT that's approx 13' x 16' (square, one open doorway to dining area). He's going from zero (TV speakers) to first set up, doesn't want to break the bank so probably a max budget of $600-700.

I originally recommended he look at buying pieces at a time so he could get better components and build over time, however, he's more interested in getting a 5.1 set up off the bat and is willing to sacrifice on performance in trade. Being that the receiver he may be looking at (Denon AVR-1613) is already $350 this is half the budget (wise choice to allow the AVR to withhold a couple upgrades?). Myself, I really wish he would piece it together as opposed to getting a 5.1 speaker package, but to each their own. I did well by upping my budget a few hundred and fitted myself with Polk Monitors + PSW505 + Denon 591 a while ago. Similar set up was shot down due to $$ restraints.

I guess there are two routes - Sound bar (L/C/R) + Sub + Surrounds (is that possible, the sound bars seem to all use proprietary hook ups sans AVR) or 5.1 package set up

$170 range - Polk Audio RM6750 Black 5.1CH Home Theater Speaker System, seems pretty budget to me. All bookshelf type speakers with a lackluster sub (freq response is listed at 40Hz at the bottom end). Drivers are only 3.5" + .5" tweeters (Front + Surr) with center having 2 3.5" drivers and a .75" tweeter. But I guess for this price you really can't complain. That and I've always trusted Polk.

Upping slightly to $200 range - Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1CH Home Audio Speaker System... No experience ever with Definitive, are they any good? They seem to use a lot of power, might not be powered sufficiently by this AVR. The specs seem comparable aside from the 1" tweeters vs .5" tweeters on the Polks, and the sub goes down to 23Hz (not sure how well it will sound down there for an 8" and at what db level).

I'm almost just leaning towards the Polk and telling him to ditch the included sub on craigslist and buy a separate one.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm kinda stumped since I never was into package deals and somehow I managed to have wife approval for a component system :-)

Thanks!

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Denon avr-1613 ($270 everywhere) and deftech procinema 60 are going under the tree for me this year... If he has space for bookshelves tell him to get a better 3.1 set up. I only have room for sats.

Good reviews

post #3 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 1535
fwiw, just a suggestion, manuf. refurbs ( in cherry only) pair of polk monitor 40's $126
polk cs2 ( cherry)$112
pair of polk moitor 30's(cherry)$ 89 on ebay at the polk audio direct store

polk psw 505 sub $190 newegg

denon avr 1612 $190 free ship. accessories4less

total $708

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #4 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

Denon avr-1613 ($270 everywhere) and deftech procinema 60 are going under the tree for me this year... If he has space for bookshelves tell him to get a better 3.1 set up. I only have room for sats.

Good reviews

Where'd you see the 1613 for $270? I could only find $349 as the lowest in a quick search. Have you listened to the deftech before? For under $200 the price is definitely right lol. I tried to convince 2.1 or 3.1 to start but he really wants to go 5.1 now. Unfortunately due to budget it means cutting corners.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

post #5 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, just a suggestion, manuf. refurbs ( in cherry only) pair of polk monitor 40's $126
polk cs2 ( cherry)$112
pair of polk moitor 30's(cherry)$ 89 on ebay at the polk audio direct store

polk psw 505 sub $190 newegg

denon avr 1612 $190 free ship. accessories4less

total $708

That doesn't sound bad, I have the 40's as my current surrounds and the 505 as my sub. I forgot they had the 1612 still to be found online. How is accessories4less? Never used them. I see some up on ebay as well around $200.

Polk refurb, are they warrantied? How is the quality?

post #6 of 11 Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Another recommendation for exploration.

The Acoustic Energy 5.1 package - brand new from AC4L > use to list for around $2000,
and that is not a cheap looking sub, and it even weighs 40.7 lb

The Holiday price is under $500 - shows up in the cart.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand/ACOUSTIC+ENERGY/results/1.html

Mate it with the Denon 1612 refurb

Acoustic Energy is a high-end company from England.

AC4L is a real nice company, with good customer service.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

That doesn't sound bad, I have the 40's as my current surrounds and the 505 as my sub. I forgot they had the 1612 still to be found online. How is accessories4less? Never used them. I see some up on ebay as well around $200.
Polk refurb, are they warrantied? How is the quality?
for what i read they have a 2year warranty and as for quality they are manuf. refurbs so i would imagine pretty much like new and as for accessories4less i purchaced a denon avr 791 about 2 years ago and have had no problems and they are an authorized dealer with a 1 year warranty, not like most people selling on ebay

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #8 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
hmmm.. looks like you just missed out on the black friday deals - may want to wait until it drops again.

The DefTechs are a blind buy but I'm upgrading my HTiB so it'll be a vast improvement. I read tons of reviews on sat systems and decided to go with the Def Techs. I was also impressed with the ProMonitor 800s I listened to, granted they're totally different than the ProCin 60s but build quality should be similar. At least I'm hoping so.

post #9 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks all for the advice. I had never known about A4Less, good prices!

I do wish he had thought about this before for BF and Cyber Monday, sales all over the place.

I think the 1612 and a sat 5.1 system will be the way to go. The DefTech is definitely in a price range to make his wallet happy but he will need to decide if he wants to spend that little extra now or wait to spend more when he catches the upgrade bug.

post #10 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:

I think the 1612 and a sat 5.1 system will be the way to go. The DefTech is definitely in a price range to make his wallet happy but he will need to decide if he wants to spend that little extra now or wait to spend more when he catches the upgrade bug.
It is all about preference and choice - the Acoustic Energy has bigger drivers, and is
more high-end. However, the Definitive can be a beginning. Good Luck.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Quote:

It is all about preference and choice - the Acoustic Energy has bigger drivers, and is
more high-end. However, the Definitive can be a beginning. Good Luck.

Thanks! I gave him the info on a few options... hoping he chooses wisely. Once you get in the only way to go is upgrade lol, its a horrible addiction smile.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page