Help with speaker selection for fronts in new build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys-

My game room/theater build is approaching the final stages before equipment (floor should begin next week).

I was all set on some Infinity p363s for my fronts (I have a Klipsch KV-2 center channel my audiophile Dad handed down to me I want to try before purchasing another one..). My first issue arose when I checked my final screen measurements while testing my projector distance/image size. With my 120" screen taped off, I only have about 8 1/2" on either side of the screen for front speakers. (if I go floor standing). On TOP of that, I came home this past Sunday to discover my beloved Denon AVR-987 had lost HDMI out, so I am now having to budget for a receiver as well. I DO have an AV technician taking a look at it for me, but he hinted the prognosis may not be good as far as economy of repair.

SO- I have been exploring some smaller options for front and rear speakers. (i have a pair of rear satellites in the ceiling, but they are pretty shoddy, architectural style speakers- i will most likely not use them at all...)

I am going today to listen to the Martin Logan Motion 2s and 4s, as well as the Paradigm Millenia One system. These are both close to my budget, considering i am probably shopping for a receiver as well) I realize I went from rather large floor standers to much smaller satellites, but this appears to be my best option. I am building this room out with the knowledge we are most likely moving in a year to 18 months, so I want to avoid any sort of in-wall option (also, the space saving speakers i am looking at will be easier to migrate if i don't have the space in our new place...)

I have a ML Dynamo for sub (an "original" one- I have been out of the loop a while, and noticed now they appear to have multiple "Dynamos"- I got mine around 2007 I believe)

The room is 18' D X 13' W, with 10' ceilings. Seating distance about 13' from the screen.

Any advice/opinions (or other model suggestions I should check out) are welcome and greatly appreciated. My budget for my speakers was around 700-1000- again, I am leaning towards at least trying the Klipsch center channel- I will most likely need some rear satellites to go with the fronts...Thanks!! I'll update on how my first "listening trip" goes!!

MBR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 212
mismatch front 3s are NOT recommended and would be especially bad if one of the three speakers had a horn/compression tweeter and the others did not. Either stick with Klipsch along the front or go all knew, from the same brand and even model.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

mismatch front 3s are NOT recommended and would be especially bad if one of the three speakers had a horn/compression tweeter and the others did not. Either stick with Klipsch along the front or go all knew, from the same brand and even model.

+1 mismatching the front will give a tonal difference, when the actor pans from one speaker to another.  check this article out, about (matching front and surround speakers) http://www.hometheater.com/content/matching-front-and-surround-speakers  

post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

OK very good- reinforces why I frequent here- you guys know your stuff smile.gif

I'll factor in a center with my speaker choice. (coincidentally both the aforementioned speaker setups I am looking at are available in 5 speaker setups, so I will listen to them in that configuration. Hoping my Dynamo integrates OK- I really like it, and it will save me some dough if I can keep it in the mix.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 212
A couple options...if you watch, EMPtek has some very goodf sales on their Impression series speakers. Give you some options if you want full towers, mini towers or bookshelves!
Infinity primus p363 or p362 are often on sale now, especially at Frys...for around 100 dollars per speaker.
Of course, the Polk m series has been on sale forever now...but the m70s can be had for as low as 149/speaker.
Of course, each of those options comes with a specific center channel speaker, usually around 200 dollars, so...
With any of those choices, your dynamo will be okay... But will quickly become the weak link in your system!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

i originally looked at the Primus 363s, but they are a TOUCH too wide to fit in my allotted space. (also , I don't have a Frys nearby- closest one is about 5 hours away I believe)

SO- I am further confused, as I have been looking at the ML Motion 10 and and the newer Motion 2s/4s, as they are slim enough to fit. The 10s I have found around 365/pair, shipped. There is a "5.0" setup on the 2s with the Center C for under 700.00- seemed like a decent price for the 5. I went to 2 stores today to listen to some things, and unfortunately the AV store was appt only- I am going to TRY and go Saturday as that's there public open day- the have a set of the Paradigm Millenia Ones I was considering. Also went to BB to try and listen to the Motion 2s and 4s- big surprise, no help in sight- i finally gave up after 20 minutes. (I was in retail for 15 years, so it irks me to no end to be browsing high end gear and get ZERO assistance or even a "hello".

I'll continue to update- I work nights, so my Saturday trip hinges on how early I get in Sat morning. (plus I have contractors coming to finish up trim work and start on floors of theater)
post #7 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 546
HTD Level Two, is a nice option
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

HTD Level Two, is a nice option
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I hadn't heard of these guys before- this is definitely slim enough - one of the few towers that is- (that I have looked at, anyways...) This would allow me to match towers, center, and satellites as suggested, and stay in budget...
post #9 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

+1 mismatching the front will give a tonal difference, when the actor pans from one speaker to another.  check this article out, about (matching front and surround speakers) http://www.hometheater.com/content/matching-front-and-surround-speakers  

Well said.

- Brennan, OSD Audio
post #10 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys.

I am leaning more and more towards the HTD stuff, as the reviews here same good for the price/performance. And at that price point, I can get the entire 5.0 system at once, then possibly add their sub in the near future to replace my Dynamo.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRICHARD View Post

Thanks again for all the feedback, guys.
I am leaning more and more towards the HTD stuff, as the reviews here same good for the price/performance. And at that price point, I can get the entire 5.0 system at once, then possibly add there sub in the near future to replace my Dynamo.
They do make some nice stuff - good luck!

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page