Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hey guys,

I have a dedicated home theater (pictures below) that is 20'Lx14'Wx8'H.
- Anthem MRX700 receiver (90w per channel with 5-channels driven)
- Paradigm Monitor 11's (series 7)
- Paradigm Center 3 (series 7)
- Paradigm Surround 3's (series 7)
- Paradigm Sub 25 (hooked up to 240v outlet)

At the beginning of October I went to my local dealer to inquire about upgrading to Paradigm's Studio line and ended up walking out of their store with Signature S8's and a C5 (all v3) for a VERY VERY cheap price (sub $6000 for all three speakers). I have absolutely loved these speakers. Better clarity over the Series 7 Monitors I had, especially with the center speaker. HOWEVER, I only use my home theater for movies and TV/gaming. I listen to virtually NO MUSIC whatsoever. Because of this, and because of the worth of the Signature speakers if I resell them, I am thinking of selling off my Signature speakers to someone who will truly use them to their full potential (i.e. - heavy music listening also) and sticking with less expensive/more home theater appropriate speakers.

So, my question is this: If I sell off my Signature speakers to someone who will truly utilize their potential, what should I be looking at to replace them for a DEDICATED home theater setting (75% movies, 15% gaming, 10% TV)? Would I be wasting my money by getting Paradigms Studio line (my original intention back in October before the ridiculous deal my dealer gave me on the Signatures) since I still won't be listening to music?

I have been looking at JTR, Danley, and JBL. I would love to stay at $1500 or less per speaker (just need front three, LCR)

Any input is greatly appreciated. I will be keeping the Sub 25 as my subwoofer, so I do not need a subwoofer/low end bass.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 113
stick with the Signatures!!!eek.gif Listen to more music!
Buy some blue-ray concert discs. If you sell them you will
Probably kick yourself in the arse.biggrin.gif
post #3 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

I have been looking at JTR, Danley, and JBL. I would love to stay at $1500 or less per speaker (just need front three, LCR)
Any input is greatly appreciated. I will be keeping the Sub 25 as my subwoofer, so I do not need a subwoofer/low end bass.
Thanks!

Which JTR, Danley, and JBL speakers are you considering?

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #4 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

stick with the Signatures!!!eek.gif Listen to more music!
Buy some blue-ray concert discs. If you sell them you will
Probably kick yourself in the arse.biggrin.gif

It's like owning a Ferrari but only using it to commute around the city. It (they) deserve better. lol
post #5 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Which JTR, Danley, and JBL speakers are you considering?

JTR Triple 8HT
JBL 3677

Not sure which model Danley is in the same price range/comparison as the JTR or JBL
post #6 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

Not sure which DSL speakers you're interested in, but at that budget, they would be the super small ones or something used. They show up very rarely used. I look frequently.

Here are two SH100B's, you might score for $3K. It would be a great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danley-SH100B-speakers-pair-excellent-less-than-a-years-use-/200854688096?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item2ec3df5160
post #7 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After further research, I have decided to remove Danley from my list, but add Chase instead.

The choices:

JTR Triple 8HT
JBL 3677
SHO-10

Again, use is entirely Movie orientated (with sporting events on TV and gaming mixed in occasionally).
Am I crazy for selling off my Signature's and looking at this route? That is my first and most important question I need help answering!

Thanks!
post #8 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Am I crazy for selling off my Signature's and looking at this route? That is my first and most important question I need help answering!
Thanks!

Yes, you are CRAZY;). My full 5.1 Signature system has never once complained
To me about the 75 percent movie/TV usage wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #9 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After further research, I have decided to remove Danley from my list, but add Chase instead.
The choices:
JTR Triple 8HT
JBL 3677
SHO-10
Again, use is entirely Movie orientated (with sporting events on TV and gaming mixed in occasionally).
Thanks!

I'm a big JBL fan, and cinema is their turf. No doubt the 3677 will do an incredible job for you, as I've heard it in some home installs, and it's insane!

BUT

Are you nuts? Keep those Signature 8s! Even though they may lack a tiny bit of the home theater punch in exchange for musical refinement, there will come a day (I promise) when you'll be able to go whole hog in that room. Anyone who's gone to the lengths that you have to make the room a real theater is going to move up in a big way sooner or later (trust me).

When that day comes, you have the problem of what to do with the old stuff. Well, what I'd do is take the Signature 8s and make a very, very nice two-channel system at that juncture, and I'd pat myself on the back for now owning two excellent systems, one for music and one for movies. Then you'll be happy that the 8s are giving you wonderful music and that your new set up in the HT is the envy of everyone who sees it, hears it, and feels it. You can sell the other, smaller pieces at a big loss, or give 'em to your grown kid(s) if you have one (or more).

post #10 of 17 Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I'm a big JBL fan, and cinema is their turf. No doubt the 3677 will do an incredible job for you, as I've heard it in some home installs, and it's insane!
BUT
Are you nuts? Keep those Signature 8s! Even though they may lack a tiny bit of the home theater punch in exchange for musical refinement, there will come a day (I promise) when you'll be able to go whole hog in that room. Anyone who's gone to the lengths that you have to make the room a real theater is going to move up in a big way sooner or later (trust me).
When that day comes, you have the problem of what to do with the old stuff. Well, what I'd do is take the Signature 8s and make a very, very nice two-channel system at that juncture, and I'd pat myself on the back for now owning two excellent systems, one for music and one for movies. Then you'll be happy that the 8s are giving you wonderful music and that your new set up in the HT is the envy of everyone who sees it, hears it, and feels it. You can sell the other, smaller pieces at a big loss, or give 'em to your grown kid(s) if you have one (or more).

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "whole hog"?

Is there another aspect/route I could go with a dedicated theater room that i haven't even explored?
post #11 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Acoustically-transparent screen with three speakers behind it.

How loud do you listen? If you've winced on the peaks and think, "This is too loud at -8DB," maybe the center was not sensitive enough and amp or speaker distorted? Of so, new speakers may allow you to play more like a good IMAX theater.

If that's not the case (you can turn it up as loud as you want and it never sounds strained),then switching out speakers would be just putting their refined music abilities to better use or saving money.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

How loud do you listen? If you've winced on the peaks and think, "This is too loud at -8DB," maybe the center was not sensitive enough and amp or speaker distorted? Of so, new speakers may allow you to play more like a good IMAX theater.
If that's not the case (you can turn it up as loud as you want and it never sounds strained),then switching out speakers would be just putting their refined music abilities to better use or saving money.

Yes, 7.1 with three identical bi-amped mains across the front behind an AT screen; four larger, matching surrounds; four 18" subs at the midpoint of each wall; a couple of dedicated 20A circuits to feed your new amps with 14 channels of amplification (unless you also go with height or wide speakers); 6 or 8 diffusers distributed on the rear wall and back half of the side walls...

Oh, don't forget the new pre/pro, and universal player, and media server, and...

The beauty of it is none of it will need to be played overly loud, just with power and finesse, especially the subs, after a nice, professional calibration (not just auto-cal like Audyssey or something similar).

You may think it's bollocks now, but I can see all this in your future. 10 years, 20 years, who knows? But it's calling you. I can see by your room, you've already made the subconscious commitment. Your conscious mind just isn't ready to deal with it yet. biggrin.gif

post #13 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I personally think you can get equal sound quality for home theater and movie watching by going with a DIY front trio. Something such as the Seos-12's or the 4pi's would work absolutely great for home theater! I think that the JTR'S would be a good choice, but if it were me, I would go with a front trio of Seos-12's or 4pi's, and sell the Sigs, then pocket the cash while enjoying your home theater experience just as much as you did with the Sig's!

Oh and another option is to go with the Ascend Sierra Towers and Horizon center channel. These would most definitely perform just as well as the Sigs, and cost half the price! I believe that in one of the GTG threads, people did a side by side comparison of the Paradigm Signature 8's with the Ascend Sierra Towers and the majority of people there liked the Ascend Sierra towers as much or more than the Sigs!
post #14 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron View Post

The MRX700 calibrates 0 on the master volume to 85dB during setup. I normally listen with the master volume at -15dB. For instance, last night I watched The Dark Knight at -15dB and found myself nudging the volume higher towards the middle of the movie (ended up at -13dB). When I first got my Sigs, I played the train wreck scene from Super 8 (one of the most violently loud movie scenes I have heard) at -15dB and never winced. Was it loud? YES. But not uncomfortable to listen to.

I was told on these forums that typical tweeters are horrible at handling the sudden peaks of a movie soundtrack, like an explosion, and that a speaker with a compression driver is the only way to get TRUE movie playback. Hence why I started finally looking into such speakers. But if I am listening at the volume I want without any discomfort, you're saying such new speakers wouldn't make a difference anyways?
post #15 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have a similar situation where my current front stage are two Dunlavy SC-IIs (L/R) and a Dunlavy SC-1 AV (C)...people tell me I'd be nuts to get rid of the now discontinued Dunlavy speakers, but I just feel like they are more for music than home theatre.

I've been looking at the JTR Triple 8HT/12HT, Ascend Sierra Towers, PSB Imagine T and Aperion Audio Verus Grand. Uggh...

Personally I think you'd be nuts to get rid of the Paradigm Signature 8s unless you want to pocket some cash.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Keeping the Sigs. No worries guys tongue.gif
post #17 of 17 Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Keeping the Sigs. No worries guys tongue.gif

PHEW

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page