what are your tricks for getting the waf aka wife approval factor on buying speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am single, but I read a lot on here about people trying to convince the wife or girlfriend to buy new speakers. The women don't like the way that it looks with the decor is to tall etc. I found this old forum post on another audio site and thought that it was cool how he convinced her.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/28800-psb-image-t55-tower.html

he said I just set the old sony's on the mantel and everytime I walked by them I would say...man, those things look like they are from the 80's...I cant believe that our new system will look like that and still not be able to fill the room with sound. After awhile she was saying the same thing. Then I talked her into the Mirage towers...she liked them because they looked modern. Once she got use to the fact that towers would be ok...I said -well we can get a better speaker for the same money and although they dont look as modern, they look great and will sound better. She gave up and said...get what you want!

I saw a ad for a used pair of psb speakers and found this review about the waf.
have any of you tried his method saying they are from the 80s? Please tell us your stories on what tips worked for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I don't recommend that for everyone, but it works for me. smile.gif
Djoel and REDdawn6 like this.

post #3 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 163
Separate houses...in separate states. cool.gif

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #4 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I don't recommend that for everyone, but it works for me. smile.gif

Absolutely! As long as you keep it within a reasonable budget.
post #5 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Boom - nailed it. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #6 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

LOL, doesn't work with my wife. If I do something wrong, she never lets me forget it. Listening to her complaints drives me up the wall. I just get permission first now.
gregleg likes this.
post #7 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Over the past ten or so years, I've been hoarding extra speakers and misc. equipment. I have things stacked up in the master bedroom and other places in the house, some in their original boxes, some not.
You can imagine the comments I get. Recently I told her that I came up with an idea to get rid of all the extra stuff and clutter if she would let me take the money and convert it into a new pair of beautiful modern speakers. "I see no problem with that" ...I'm all smiles.

Espo77
post #8 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Over the past ten or so years, I've been hoarding extra speakers and misc. equipment. I have things stacked up in the master bedroom and other places in the house, some in their original boxes, some not.
You can imagine the comments I get. Recently I told her that I came up with an idea to get rid of all the extra stuff and clutter if she would let me take the money and convert it into a new pair of beautiful modern speakers. "I see no problem with that" ...I'm all smiles.

Nice 10 year plan.... smile.gif

post #9 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I landed an awesome wife. I only ask out of respect and every time her answer is "if we can afford it, go for it". She has never complained once, she thinks of it as a family purchase since the media room is where we can all go to watch a family movie together.
REDdawn6 likes this.

post #10 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm going to throw something out, I'm sure a lot you disagree, but I think for the most part the speaker industry does a horrible job making speakers that actually look good. Sure you can get a set of Totem floor-standing speakers for $2K+ that look and sound great, but the overwhelming majority of speakers in my opinion are pretty tacky. Of course sound first before looks, but the industry could do a better job designing attractive speakers.

So what are your favorite looking speakers??? That have great sound. I'm personally not a big fan of the generic wood veneer + cloth grille. I do like some of the piano finishes some manufacturers are using more of.
post #11 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Show her something absurdly large, and tell her you want it. Like some Danley DTS-10s and some Klipsch Jubilees, tell her you think you need those in your living room. Look disappointed when she says no. This starts the negotiating position high in your favor.
Daniel Smith likes this.
post #12 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Buy em, play your wifes favorite song or movie with them than switched back. Amazingly my girlfriend accepted my new speakers because Game of Thrones sounded better lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #13 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Just buy what you want. Pick up some ear plugs and TV dinners while you're at it.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history:
post #14 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Smith View Post

I'm going to throw something out, I'm sure a lot you disagree, but I think for the most part the speaker industry does a horrible job making speakers that actually look good.
No worse than God did when he came up with the design of our ears. I guess He figured that working well outweighed pretty. Speakers are supposed to sound good, and that doesn't always mean they'll look good. The same applies to feet, explaining why women need so many pairs of shoes. Keeping that in mind, tell her you're going to buy some speakers and that she should go buy some nice shoes. Problem solved. Just pray that she doesn't buy Manolos.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #15 of 91 Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
I use the same method every time; "Look here beeyatch, this is how it's gonna be and if you don't like it, you can kiss my a** and there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out!!!" And I'm still alive with all my important parts biggrin.gif

Actually, I have the coolest wife EVER. My wife bought me my AVR and it wasn't even my birthday. When I got my Monitor70's, she bought them for me for Christmas. The monitors were my second upgrade, she told me instead of always upgrading, pick out what I really want, and go for it, (afford-ability went without saying) I said, "But honey, I already have you" biggrin.gif Then I set my sights on Polk's RTiA series and built me what I perceive as one heck of an H.T.

Oh yeah, one important note, I have to tell her what I'm doing, she says I know she's going to tell me yes, but she wants me to at least keep her in the loop, and I said, you mean communication between husband and wife?????? You've got it honey.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #16 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 AM

Liked: 32
Just buy them, have them show up and then explain why. My wife made fun of the fact that I upgraded our fronts, but after watching a couple of movies, and some football games, she was sold on them.
post #17 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 483
I recently paid an obscene (for me anyway) amount of money for speakers. For awhile I debated whether or not to tell my wife how much they really cost, but in the end I decided to be honest. She didn't get mad at all, I was surprised... I think she is starting to see the value in my hobby - she recently had a bunch of friends over for a girls night and they watched Magic Mike. Also, she has her family come over every couple of months now for a movie night. I'm lucky. She understands that I'm a bit nuts with this stuff.

post #18 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I recently paid an obscene (for me anyway) amount of money for speakers. For awhile I debated whether or not to tell my wife how much they really cost, but in the end I decided to be honest. She didn't get mad at all, I was surprised... I think she is starting to see the value in my hobby - she recently had a bunch of friends over for a girls night and they watched Magic Mike. Also, she has her family come over every couple of months now for a movie night. I'm lucky. She understands that I'm a bit nuts with this stuff.

That's the difference between men and women. Women understand the need of having a passion in life. Most men have some trouble understanding that concept when the proverbial shoe is on the other foot. Wish I had a dollar everytime I heard a guy say, "You're not going to believe what she bought now!" wink.gif

post #19 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I am single, but I read a lot on here about people trying to convince the wife or girlfriend to buy new speakers. The women don't like the way that it looks with the decor is to tall etc. I found this old forum post on another audio site and thought that it was cool how he convinced her.

The speakers need to be good looking no BLACK BOXES also you need to involve her in the process as hey have better hearing than men, and finally buy her lots of shoes smile.gif

My humble Cinema
post #20 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I gave up on the living room, but have whatever I want in the HT room.

Remember, it's called "AV Science"!

My HT

Peter

post #21 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've been pretty lucky, my wife is very cool about the stereo, and enjoys using it as much as I do. Our system is in the living room, which means it needs to look decent and physically fit, but also means it is used every day. As such, I keep an eye out for aesthetics when I am buying something new. Before I buy, we talk about what it is I am looking for, and I show her a couple of the options (the www makes this a much easy process). She asks which I prefer, and as long as it is not something crazy (like a DTS-10, or notnyt's system), she's cool with it. Budgets are openly discussed, no need to sneak/hide/lie.

I think a couple of items that have helped over the years have been soliciting feedback from her (who knew a Harmony remote could buy so many years of goodwill), and showing an interest in her hobbies as well. I've actually gone shoe shopping with my wife. She's gone to RMAF with me. We recognize areas where the other person has an interest and respect that.

So far in my living room, we have a full compliment of DefTech speakers (Mythos STS, CS-8060HD, Gem XL), dual SVS PB13-Ultra subs, a Salamander equipment rack, nearly 20 acoustic panels/bass traps (combination of corner tri-traps, 2" & 4" panels, a couple of which are "picture" panels with a friends original artwork and some of our photos on them), and a wall mounted plasma. Future possible upgrades include a new speaker set up (the new SVS Ultra line of speakers perhaps, or KEF R series), and a larger TV. My wife (really) is pushing for a front projection system with a drop down screen for movies, and keeping the plasma for TV usage. In the end, spending a couple hours in a shoe shop has paid off big.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #22 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I've been pretty lucky, my wife is very cool about the stereo, and enjoys using it as much as I do. Our system is in the living room, which means it needs to look decent and physically fit, but also means it is used every day. As such, I keep an eye out for aesthetics when I am buying something new.

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times. Designated theater rooms aside, men look at it as having a living room in their theater while women look at it as having a theater in their living room. Women want the surround sound set-up you have in mind to blend in with the home. Guys, for some reason, still have that "single/college days" attitude. Know your home, make it work, keep the woman happy.

post #23 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 306
The "trick" is finding the right partner.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #24 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Exactly.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #25 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Troll

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

+1 !!
post #26 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
my wife is pretty chill, she gives me crap once in a while, but mostly in good humor, however when I wanted the speakers I got a month ago(Dynaudio Focus 160s), she let it happen and was really cool about it. however my dealer got really creative with hooking me up and she couldnt say no... what woman says no to a deal that makes perfect sense? But in all honesty, she is really cool and knows that I dont buy too much except for the once a year ht product, so she lets me. She will even say..."right now you have no WAF, so dont ask." or "you want the WAF dont you? so what are you gonna do for me?" It also helps that Im really cool about the stuff she buys or wants... I just usually say OK, cool that would be nice. give and take my friends... give and take... although she is really giving sometimes.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #27 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
So what are your favorite looking speakers??? That have great sound. I'm personally not a big fan of the generic wood veneer + cloth grille. I do like some of the piano finishes some manufacturers are using more of

Aperion speakers look and sound great. I have a pair of Intimus 4Ts and Bravus 8" sub and they are very nice.

post #28 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

+1 !!

+1000

This should not be an issue. If it is, then there are bigger issues.

Never been an issue for me.
post #29 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
My wife and I have argued about the speakers on several occasions, once it got quite heated. She loves hanging pictures...she has tons and tons of artwork, pics of the kids, framed posters etc. She decorates pretty much every wall in the house with the stuff. My argument was that she got to decorate every other room in the house exactly the way she wants. I have one room that I tinker around in and she can't even give me that. She didn't care. She had caved on having the speakers (though she thought they were ugly and they are) but she didn't want to budge on forcing me to place the speakers around where she wanted to hang the artwork.

The way I got past that was to start getting technical and explaining to her the reasoning for my deisre to place the speakers where I had them. Physics. Once I brought acoustics into the equation, she folded. Then she admitted that the setup we have now blows away everything she's heard before it, and no one she associates with has anything close. And we have super crappy cheap-ass speakers. I just have them set up properly (mostly).

When it comes time for us to purchase a new home, I'm going to suggest we purchase one with an acoustically sound room and that will be MY room to decorate and setup as I see fit. She can have the rest of the house. I'll make sure to hash that out with her BEFORE we move all our stuff in so there is no question as to who gets to do what in the future.

And yes, it's as big of a pain in the butt as it sounds.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #30 of 91 Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I've simply never understood why either spouse tries to tell the other what to do. If I want to go out and buy speakers or add something to the entertainment center, there should be no debate. On the same hand, if she wants to hang pictures or place nick knacks around the house, I really don't give a sh*t either. As long as it's financially sound and isn't draining the bank account, I don't see why either party cares that much. That said, I'm not married, but have had plenty of steady girlfriends and lived with a few and from the start, I made it clear, that we are not parents to one and other. If someone wants to buy something, more power to them. I'm not going to tell them what they can and can't do. As long as one or the other isn't knocking a wall down in the house without discussing or spending all of the money. The end. I married or am dating to enjoy someone's company and life, not have them mother me for the rest of my life and tell me what I can and can't buy with my money! Sorry for the rant, but these wife approval factor discussions always piss me off to no end. LOL!

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page