Placement of ceiling speakers with respect to listening position: not an equilateral triangle? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After painstakingly measuring an equilateral triangle from my bed's pillows to speakers et 6' apart (for 8' ceilings), and with a drywall saw in hand, I glance at the manual for one of the speakers I want to try, the Audiosource AC6C, and it says: "The distance between the speakers should not be greater than the distance from the speakers to the listening position (See Figure 1). I have no reason to doubt Audiosource... so what should I do? Is the 6' apart a good rule, and should I then move the speakers say 7.5' from the pillows (in a straight line to the speakers' line). They would then also nicely be aligned with my ceiling fan. Would that be a good setup for any ceiling speaker? The speakers for listening to music and shows (laptop or iPad w/ sound on speakers) in bed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We find that the key to surround sound speakers is to have the tweeter angle facing directly at your optimal listening area (i.e, pillow area). In other words, your ears have to be able to see the tweeter, in a manner of speaking.. Figure out the angle of the tweeter and where it's pointing. The actual measurements between the speakers don't matter as much, more of just a guideline. Those tweeter angels, that's what you need to worry about. Hope that helps!

- Brennan, OSD Audio
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

So that would be an argument for the opposite of Audiosource's recommendation then: put the speakers closer since the tweeter angle is pretty abrupt (15-20 off the vertical?). Or as far away that the tweetr can still be "seen?" I need a protractor or to be better at math smile.gif It's impossible for me to estimate with the speaker box against the ceiling and not through it.

Using this calculator I get that to see (visually) a tweeter aimed at 20 degrees (generous) 5 feet above one's eyes/ears is slightly less than 2 feet. Clearly, my ears seeing the tweeter can't be the right guideline, or Audiosource's advice is not for focused listening despite the figure? If I were that close, I'd probably only hear the one speaker closer to me.

Edit: obviously I am using the wrong approach here smile.gif I'll go with a "if my eyes can see it or are close to see it then my ears will hear it smile.gif". Does the fact that one of the tweeters is a planar ribbon make a difference? (it is a small round one from the Ethereal speaker on A4L).
post #4 of 4 Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Brennan I wanted to say thanks for your response. I installed the speakers (I picked the BG Radia RT-6CJ) Sunday and love them!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page