RF-7 II or THX Ultra2 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my speakers from Energy RC-70 / Epik Phoenix / Pioneer VSX-94TXH based 7.1 HT to something that has a better sound in movies. The reason I'm considering an upgrade is that I'm missing impact and the mid-bass in general and I want to have more of a movie theater experience at home.

The two systems, that I'm considering are either

- RF-7 II + RC-64 + RS-62 + RB-82 or
- THX Ultra 2

I had a chance to hear the RF-7 based system at local Fry's, but I can't find any store in the San Francisco Bay area that would have a showroom with the THX. I've read some very positive reviews on the system, but most of those date to 2004 - 2005 and I'm not sure how the two compare.

Do you guys have any recommendation? Price-wise the systems are around the same. My primary use will be for movies with a little of music in a living room at first and dedicated HT room later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Have you considered JTRs? or CHT? Triad too!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. Is there anything in particular why the brands you suggest are better than the RF-7/Ultra 2 set up?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
You know actually it might be important to know what your room is like first haha

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Out of the two I thought the THX ultra 2 were neutral and the refs slightly forward. THX better for movies and REFS for music. I also like the JTR and SHO-10's better.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

You know actually it might be important to know what your room is like first haha

Oops, not shopping for speakers very often .. ;-)

An L-shaped room, the longer part is the living room - 22 x 14 x 10 feet with windows on one side and an opening to the kitchen on the other. It's under complete re-modeling, so I'm flexible on furniture setting, sound treatment on the walls, etc.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Sharing some information about your room would be helpful, along with any details of your current configuration, such as whether or not your speakers are set to large or small and the crossover settings. Are your subwoofer and seats in good(bass friendly) spots in the room ?

If your room is not too large or open your system as it is should be able to provide a reasonably good movie experience I would think. It makes me wonder if you're not getting the most out of it for some reason. Along those lines, if you're looking to spend the money it would take to get either of those HT systems it would be worth the investment to get some measurement gear to see what your in room response is like.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-09-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

@MKtheater & @pokekevin - thanks for pointing me in the JTR direction! I'm very happy with what I got and since my question almost two years back I got to hear an RF7-II system and it wouldn't have made me satisfied (not to mention after hearing the 212s)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by svencz View Post

@MKtheater & @pokekevin - thanks for pointing me in the JTR direction! I'm very happy with what I got and since my question almost two years back I got to hear an RF7-II system and it wouldn't have made me satisfied (not to mention after hearing the 212s)

Glad to hear you love the JTR's! It's funny, on a couple occasions I posted that after hearing RF-7's and the Ultra 2 series I'd still gladly take my 228HT's over both and it always seems to stir up the hornets nest smile.gif
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page