Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so i have a

Yamaha 673BL
and
New Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers

I used the yapo i think it is called to set it up and have had it this way for the first month or so. The front 3 are set to large and the back 2 are small. Is this right? if not have i possibly hurt something?

Thanks guys
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 AM

Liked: 11
It's not right, they should be set to small too. Large and small means how much frequency the speakers are able to play. Large would be full range speakers, where as small means they lack the ability to play the lower frequencies, as it's the case with bose ones.

My recommended settings: All speakers to small and the subwoofer crossover to 140 or so. Unfortunately, the bose cubes are so damn small that they can't even play the upper bass. I'd say that, under 120Hz, they have nothing at all, so cross the sub at 140 and check how it sounds.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Did i hurt anything having it set to large
?
post #4 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

The manual says set to large on all and 80hz?? why do u say small?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb7873 View Post

The setting must correspond to the size of the drivers. On average small would be four inches or less, medium five to six and a half inch, large eight inch or more. The Bose satellite drivers are only two and a half inch.
Quote:
I'd say that, under 120Hz, they have nothing at all,
They're down 10dB at 280Hz, so at 120hz they have considerably less than nothing.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 170
The Bose satellite already have a gap between sub and sat in terms of freq response...and the limited range of those satellites forces the sub to play some of the midbass that those Bose sats cannot handle!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #7 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulb7873 View Post

Do you have the cubes wired through the bass module as described in the manual, or do you have them connected directly to your receiver? If the cubes are connected to the bass module, do as the manual says and set the speakers to large + subwoofer. The bass module contains the crossover for cubes, and will limit the frequencies they receive.

If the cubes are connected directly to the receiver, then set all speakers to small as others have recommended above.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 AM

Large would be full range speakers, where as small means they lack the ability to play the lower frequencies
post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

They're down 10dB at 280Hz, so at 120hz they have considerably less than nothing.
Wow, that's impressive. Can they even be called a speaker? smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFelizardo View Post

The bass module contains the crossover for cubes, and will limit the frequencies they receive.
If the cubes are connected directly to the receiver, then set all speakers to small as others have recommended above.
I must love BOSE! For a high price you get bad and tinny speakers, a very bad subwoofer (oh wait, a Bass module in fact) and, for free and as a bonus, you get extra crossovers which you don't need because the receiver already does that! At least, I think it won't be too sofisticated. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFelizardo View Post

Do you have the cubes wired through the bass module as described in the manual, or do you have them connected directly to your receiver? If the cubes are connected to the bass module, do as the manual says and set the speakers to large + subwoofer. The bass module contains the crossover for cubes, and will limit the frequencies they receive.

Can you even connect the speakers directly to the receiver? Don't they "have to" go through the bass module?

That is why after running YPAO, or Audyssey, you have to go back and reset to large so that full range is sent to the bass module. You want to let YPAO do the frequency room correction, but have to send the full signal (as corrected) to the BM for bass management.

YPAO assume that you have 5 speakers and a subwoofer hooked up to it, that it is doing all of the bass management. It does not think you have only 5 speakers hooked up, nor that they are going to the bass module which does the bass management and that the speakers are actually connect to the BM and not the AVR.

And, just because I can't resist, the best plan to optimize your audio: sell the Bose (great resale value) and buy real speakers biggrin.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page