Funk Audio's New 8.2P Floorstanding Speaker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ordered a pair of Nathan's new 8.2P Floorstanding Speakers finished in chilli cherry on cherry veneer with solid wood corners.

More information
http://www.funkaudio.ca/The_dB_Meter/Entries/2012/11/29_The_8.2P_Release_Notice.html

Also on order the 5.4P to complete the front sound stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 11
Hallo! I would really be interested in your opinion about these, because i had my eyes on FunkAudio for a while!
post #3 of 57 Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Picture of the front assembly for the 8.2.P's.

post #4 of 57 Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I'm curious what the xover point is with such a large CTC spacing for an MTM?
post #5 of 57 Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 PM

Liked: 11
MSRP? Competing Models?
post #6 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Audioholics posted a preview a couple of days ago with price and specification.

hxxp://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/funk-audio-8.2p-pre

MSRP: $4,240/pair ($3,540/pair pre-release price)

Specification:
Cabinet
▪ Curved laminated side walls.
▪ Solid wood inlayed corners
▪ 1.5” thick front baffle
▪ Extensive bracing
▪ Baltic Birch ply construction
▪ Premium real wood veneer(s)
▪ Adjustable brass spikes
▪ Rear firing low turbulence slot port
Midbass drivers
▪ 1” p-p excursion
▪ Cast aluminum, (enclosed magnet structure) basket
▪ High energy Neodymium magnet
▪ Lightweight optimally damped treated paper cone
▪ Lightweight high excursion “M” roll surround
▪ Aluminum Demodulation ring
▪ Glass fiber voice coil former
▪ Lightweight Aluminum voice coil wire
▪ 2” diameter voice coil
▪ Variable weave spider profile
Mid tweeter driver
▪ Large format Planar
▪ High temperature foil
▪ Low distortion
▪ High bandwidth
▪ CNC machined black anodized Aluminum “full face” plate
Specs
▪ 35hz-40khz Frequency range
▪ 96db/watt efficiency
11”wide (12.5 base) 12”deep (13.5”base) 48” high (plus feet)
post #7 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 235
AH posted a PREVIEW, not review.

The only thing that concerned me was the statement about how the speakers were NOT made to be "flat" on FR. I'm okay with as much as +/-3dB variance, but I don't want Wilson-like or Zu-like measurements of +/-10dB on FR. eek.gif

Bose is also +/-10dB.
post #8 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got word on AH that the Funk speakers will be accurate speakers w/ FR within the +0/-3dB, gradually tapering and good off-axis up to 60 degrees.biggrin.gif
post #9 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I just find those specs hard to believe. 96db, 35hz, 8" drivers with 12.5mm xmax... High excursion 8" drivers will have lower sensitivity and/or extension. Not that there's anything actually wrong with the speaker, or its SQ, but those specs are misleading.
post #10 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

I just find those specs hard to believe. 96db, 35hz, 8" drivers with 12.5mm xmax... High excursion 8" drivers will have lower sensitivity and/or extension. Not that there's anything actually wrong with the speaker, or its SQ, but those specs are misleading.

Well, let's wait for Audioholics to measure those Funk speakers first. I get the feeling AH will be reviewing them.

I doubt Funk would make any false claims period, but especially knowing Audioholics would measure the speakers.
post #11 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Not necessarily. One can get both with enough motor force. Though I'm not sure the claim is 12.5mm xmax; I think it's 12.5mm total throw. But I could have read the blurb too quickly) Also, the cabinets look pretty big and are vented, so the claim is not on its face impossible.

Some people may not know enough be able to tell much about a speaker by the drive-unit configuration, but the Funk speaker shows some interesting tradeoffs. I didn't see anything about the woofer-planar crossover, but let's assume arguendo that it's low enough that the woofers are still more-or-less hemispherical radiators in the crossover region. The speaker is still going to have a smaller sweetspot than most controlled-directivity speakers, because the planar is pretty wide. So it will start to beam fairly low. Also, the tight vertical pattern indicates that it's a speaker one can optimize placement for sitting or standing, but not both. For someone with the cash who finds the above limits outweighed by other factors, it's probably worth a listen.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #12 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

They stated 1" peak to peak. This design has many questionable choices, no doubt. It's also likely that Funk is using very pricey custom drivers that none of us have access to
post #13 of 57 Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Well, let's wait for Audioholics to measure those Funk speakers first. I get the feeling AH will be reviewing them.
I doubt Funk would make any false claims period, but especially knowing Audioholics would measure the speakers.

Does AH do only in-room measurements or also quasi-anechoic?

I look forward to the review.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #14 of 57 Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
@DS-21

I work on the design end on some of the Funk Audio products. We have some pretty interesting things coming down the pipes. This is one of the first to be released.

Your statements quoted above are interesting in that you have a keen interest in the technical side of the loudspeakers.

Our choice of a planar for our MTM has a great deal of thought behind it.

Vertical spacing in an MTM is an issue that needs constant attention. Most MTM are tradeoffs between a dome tweeter and the midwoofers. In most designs there is beaming with the midwoofers that have to be crossed over a little to high inorder for the tweeter not to go up in smoke. And then you have the usual problem of a dome tweeter not having enough excursion to keep up with the woofers. I have always disliked the MTM arrangement when done with anything larger than a 5 1/4 inch midwoofer. They just didn't work. Not at any realistic volume at any rate.

So when Nathan asked my opinion of what would make a good MTM I had an idea up my sleeve that caught his interest.

Our design goals were to stand apart, offer something that is being done by few companies in the first place and do it better! We chose to keep the efficiency as high as was possible. And to use some of the finest components that are available.

So I offered this. Lets do this, use a large format planar, it would allow a low crossover point. A planar radiates over it's full height. So it is almost the ideal driver for an MTM as there is essentially no center to center distance lost in this type of arrangement. The only center to center distance we have to incorporate is the two driver cone radius. This is the same as one drivers cone diameter.

The planar will keep the high frequency floor bounce to a minimum. A good trait in an MTM. Yes there is little vertical directivity in a planar, but this is one of the largest planars you have seen believe me! It gives quite a tall vertical coverage. Dispersion in a planar narrows across the horizontal plane as the frequency gets higher. Literally as the frequency of sound goes higher, the wavelength is smaller. So this is not really to much of a problem.

Our midwoofers are very well designed 8 inch drivers. They have a healthy X-max, and a large X-mech of 24mm (P-P). You can use this tower for quite a bit of music without a sub if need be.

We use a newly created special acoustic loading for the woofers. It is a double tapered venting system that allows good efficiency down to the designed Fs even when using a driver that has a very strong motor. It has very low air particle velocity at any reasonable power input.

And almost no port compression up to levels that will keep all but the most rabid bass fiends happy.

So you have what I hope is one the finest MTM's available. We have paid very careful attention to most of the weaknesses I have observed in designs over the last 25 years.

We have pushed the envelop about as far as is possible at a reasonable price.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

Kravchenko-Audio
Dbuudo07 likes this.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

post #15 of 57 Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 10
http://audioshark.org/rmaf-136/rmaf-2013-pictures-2747-page4.html#.Ulyj_2Sgl8Y

I just found this on RMAF 2013 results threw Google
post #16 of 57 Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12355-Steve-s-RMAF-2013-Photo-Thread/page6

Second set I found.Good Canadian made the drive from the West Coast down to Denver for RMAF 2013
post #17 of 57 Old 10-14-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Those three-ways look like beasts, but there is a question I have about them. The way I understand MTMs is lobing is kept down since the path from each woofer to the tweeter is the same. However, that looks like a WMTMW, I guess, using sort of the same principle, but the mid woofers and the bass woofers have different path lengths from each other since there are two sets of each. How is lobing addressed in that configuration?
post #18 of 57 Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Those three-ways look like beasts, but there is a question I have about them. The way I understand MTMs is lobing is kept down since the path from each woofer to the tweeter is the same. However, that looks like a WMTMW, I guess, using sort of the same principle, but the mid woofers and the bass woofers have different path lengths from each other since there are two sets of each. How is lobing addressed in that configuration?

Hello shadyJ

The configuration is not quite what you think it is.

First this is a very efficient system. 100db/watt. It is also active. Three channels with every bell and whistle we can imagine needing to use via DSP signal processing.

The top and bottom woofer are fed into a chamber that in turn feeds into a horn. So this is a back loaded horn. It is designed to work from 18 hertz on up to about 120 hertz. This is a reciprocal of the output of the drivers as they are configured. In better terms the horn provides a natural boost where the front loading starts to drop off. So what we get is very high efficiency down to a very low tuning frequency. It gives a dynamic depth to the low end that is something that must be heard to be appreciated. As measured in room we were flat to 14 hertz. We were handing out permagrins wink.gif when we played the Tron soundtrack.

The top and bottom woofers are crossed in under the range of human speech. So essentially this is a 2.5 system. The drivers are setup in an arrangement that coves the spectral density of music. As in there is a lot more midbass and midrange than high frequencies. So we give the greater driver area where it is most useful. The human voice is covered completely by the midwoofers. So for the greatest part of both voice and aural cues to where things are in space ( spatial cues ) we use a very high quality wideband driver. They work very well in this configuration.

As for the lobing question.

there is lobing on every driver made, and in every driver configuration. What is best done is well thought out engineering. As they are configured this setup gives us a lot of control of what you hear vertically and horizontally. The midrange/woofers are kept within their piston band. And the Planar is essentially a top to bottom radiator vertically. So in use as an WWTWW system the distance between centers on the woofers is pretty much where the radiating surface of the Planar stops. It is a superb system in terms of imaging. And a very tight pattern in terms of vertical directivity in the entire system. We use this to the advantage of the listener. The active amplification allows us to delay signals to any of the drivers, this in turn allows us to create a good coherent pattern in the sound radiated off of the baffle. The system width is only 12 inches, and the radius is 3 5/8". So as little diffraction effects as is humanly possible.

We wanted to create a flagship design. And from the feedback at the RMAF I believe that we have succeeded.

The dynamic duo. Nathan is on the left I'm on the right.
macddmac, shadyJ and its phillip like this.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

post #19 of 57 Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Any info and pricing on the bookshelves?
post #20 of 57 Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Thanks for the informative answer! 100 dB sensitivity is outstanding! The lower woofers being fed into a horn is also a very clever idea. It sounds like a terrific speaker, what is the name if it by the way? Also, even though this is a superfluous question for me personally, how much is a pair?
post #21 of 57 Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 PM

The big boys are called the 8.7 P ( P for POWERED only 3000 watts, we ran out of watts smile.gif )

As for pricing that is up to Master Funk. Drop him a line.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

post #22 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post

The big boys are called the 8.7 P ( P for POWERED)

Are all the drivers powered or just the woofers?
post #23 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

Any info and pricing on the bookshelves?

Yeah, Sat + Sub would be my choice as well. biggrin.gif
post #24 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM

In the 8.7 all the drivers are active.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

post #25 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the 8.7 all the drivers are active.

So one 3,000 watts amp (I assume into 4 ohms) powers all the drivers for each speaker?

Is the amp & XO unit outboard or built inside the cabinet?

I don't mind active speakers, but I do mind amps built inside the cabinet (speakers & subs).
post #26 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 09:12 AM

800, 800, 2400.

Three channels.

But into their respective loads they put out about 3kw.

Yes you can have the amps outboard.
its phillip likes this.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

post #27 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

800, 800, 2400.

Three channels.

But into their respective loads they put out about 3kw.

Yes you can have theamps outboard.

Nice.

3-way speakers, the tweeter gets 1Ch amp, the midrange gets 1Ch amp, and the woofers get 1Ch amp.

And the amp can be outboard (total of 6Ch amp per pair of speakers). So the XO is built into the cabinet or can it be outboard?
post #28 of 57 Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM

The Xover is a DSP engine. Goes by the amplifiers.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

post #29 of 57 Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The DSP is actually "part" of the amplifier as it runs it. And yes we can for sure do the amplification outboard, adds slightly to the cost however.

AcuDefTechGuy, shoot me an email if your interested in trying out the 6.1.P's.

The 6.1.P's are 2650/pair, the 8.2.P's are 5250/pair, and the 8.7.P's are introductory price until Jan 2014 of 19,875/pair(to be 24,845/pair). For the 8.7.P's we will also be offering an in home setup/tuning for your room and or taste, for a fee.
its phillip likes this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #30 of 57 Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

The DSP is actually "part" of the amplifier as it runs it. And yes we can for sure do the amplification outboard, adds slightly to the cost however.

AcuDefTechGuy, shoot me an email if your interested in trying out the 6.1.P's.

The 6.1.P's are 2650/pair, the 8.2.P's are 5250/pair, and the 8.7.P's are introductory price until Jan 2014 of 19,875/pair(to be 24,845/pair). For the 8.7.P's we will also be offering an in home setup/tuning for your room and or taste, for a fee.

Thanks for the offer.

If I try out the 6.1, I will not want to return them. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Only problem is that there's no room.

I am trying to sell 5 pairs of speakers. If they ever sell, then I can get those 6.1s. biggrin.gif

I look forward to seeing more details on the 6.1 on your website. What is the sensitivity?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page