Center speaker for KEF iq30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of KEF IQ30s that I would like to build around into a 5.1 system for my bedroom. 2 problems. For one the IQ60 is hard to find. And the other is that it is very large and I really don't have the room for it in my bedroom set up. Are there any other smaller centers that would match well with the IQ30s? KEF preferably but another brand would be fine also. Any ideas?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For tonal match, stay with KEF. If you can, use a single IQ30 for the center. This would be best.

Sounds good!
post #3 of 13 Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

That wouldn't fit for me. Wondering how the flat t101 or 301 would match up? Anyone?
post #4 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You want the center to have the same tonal qualities as your left and right speakers. That being said the iQ60c is your best bet for a matching center. Since they are currently almost impossible to find, you second choice should be either a Q600c or Q200c. The reason being that they both have a Uni-Q driver array that best matches the iQ30.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
The KEF C6LCR speaker is the best match for those speakers; $269 at KEF Direct.

The iQ60 is hard to find because it sucks. KEF has basically dumped it.

Smaller drivers are better for a center speaker; it should NOT operate below 120 Hz. Anything lower from the center speaker just mucks up the sound, and larger drivers are problematical from a clarity standpoint in my experience.

Another excellent one that should work well is the Cambridge S50, which is $200.

I have seen at least 3 cases where the Cambridge S50 has been used with other brands of speakers and works great.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Smaller drivers are better for a center speaker; it should NOT operate below 120 Hz. Anything lower from the center speaker just mucks up the sound.
rolleyes.gif

As has been said before, repeating this many, many times does not make it any truer tongue.gif

post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd24 View Post

That wouldn't fit for me.

Even if you laid it on it's side? I have 3 iQ3 for my front with the middle one on its side.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
This is not only MY opinion, but the concensus of several audio professionals I know that install home theater systems for a living. They, and I, KNOW what produces the best midrange clarity in a system from extensive installation and troubleshooting experience. Since you don't seem to know, maybe your opinion could be improved if you get more experience?

You are entitled to any opinion; just don't waste time contradicting those more experienced than yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

rolleyes.gif
As has been said before, repeating this many, many times does not make it any truer tongue.gif
post #9 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
This is not only MY opinion, but the concensus of several audio professionals I know that install home theater systems for a living. They, and I, KNOW what produces the best midrange clarity in a system from extensive installation and troubleshooting experience. Since you don't seem to know, maybe your opinion could be improved if you get more experience?

You are entitled to any opinion; just don't waste time contradicting those more experienced than yourself.

How come KEF recommends the Q200c instead of the C6LCR? Wouldn't they be more experienced than you guys?

Also, if the center speaker should not go below 120hz, why aren't we recommending little satellite speakers for a center?

Afro GT
post #10 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

If this was true it would also be true for midrange from left and right mains and everyone would crossover to subs at 120Hz for all speakers to improve midrange clarity rolleyes.gif

Or is midrange clarity from mains not important rolleyes.gif

Here's a thought - have speakers that are able to faithfully reproduce ALL of the sounds that the producers (be it music or movies) intended to be heard from each of the speakers. I am aware of no producers/directors that intended for any channel to only have 120Hz - 4kHz.
Quote:

Listen to your own words. Everyone on this forum with WAAAAAY more experience than you contradicts this opinion of yours, and yet you choose to keep repeating it.

post #11 of 13 Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. All of those recommended seem a bit large to fit in my bedroom setup without some wife approved rearranging. I was hoping to get away with one of the flat centers or a satellite center from kef. But maybe I will have to start sweet talking the wife and go with the 200 or the c6lcr. The c6lcr is cheaper. So if it can work I may go that route.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

LOL
post #13 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd24 View Post

Thanks for the help. All of those recommended seem a bit large to fit in my bedroom setup without some wife approved rearranging. I was hoping to get away with one of the flat centers or a satellite center from kef. But maybe I will have to start sweet talking the wife and go with the 200 or the c6lcr. The c6lcr is cheaper. So if it can work I may go that route.

I would recommend you stay with a KEF speaker that uses the Uni-Q driver like the Q200. The C series do not and consequently have a very different sound.

The iQ30 is a single source speaker so laying it on it's side works acoustically, plus on it's side it's just about the same height as the Q200, NTM cheaper. I've seen/heard a set-up with three iQ30's across the front with the center iQ30 laid on it's side and it looked fine to me, and sounded excellent.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page