Klipsch HDT 1000 vs Pick and Choose - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which setup should I go with?
Klipsch HD Theater 1000 ($400) 1 50.00%
Pioneer setup + sub later (~$500) 1 50.00%
Pioneer setup + BIC America F12 (~$700) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently decided to upgrade my home theater from a terrible HTiB to a better setup. There was a good deal on Amazon for a Yamaha RX-V671, so I got it. I also ended up ordering a Klipsch HD Theater 1000. I ended up, however, having tons of issues with the sub, as documented here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442553/subwoofer-static-popping-cutout

Basically, I'm going to have to return the HDT1000 that I have, and since it was fulfilled by Amazon, but not sold by them, I'll only get a refund. I've decided to take this opportunity to look around a bit for something different, possibly better. What I've come up with is this setup:

Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2
Pioneer SP-C22
Pioneer SP-BS22

Plus a sub TBD. I'm looking at a BIC America F12, but I'm open to recommendations.

The problem is this... I paid $400 for the HDT1000. For the setup listed above I'm looking at close to $700. I know that's not a bad price, and it's a much better setup, but it's still a $300 difference. I have a fairly small to medium sized room in an apartment, so I don't really need a lot, but I plan to move into a house eventually and would like it to remain decent then. Is this really worth $300 more? Furthermore, is it really a good combo with the receiver I have? I could always just return the setup I have and buy the exact same thing. When the sub worked, it was a decent sounding system, if a little lacking in the low range.

The benefit to this is that I can buy everything except the sub at my local Best Buy for roughly the same price (~$20 more than Amazon). This means I can have them quickly with the ability to return them easily if needed (something I'm finding to be a bit of a pain with Amazon). By getting the floor speakers I could also probably put off buying a sub for a little while (until after the holidays) and it wouldn't be that much more expensive right now.

What are your guys' thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 11
Go with the Pioneers and pick up the sub when you can afford it. I see them recommended quite often around this forum as a reasonably good entry level setup. The BIC F12 is also a very popular choice -- it seems as if you can't go wrong with it. No shame in putting together a good system piece by piece. Whatever you decide, enjoy your new setup!
post #3 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I went to BB today to check out the Pioneers. Unsurprisingly, they didn't have them hooked up. They did, however, have the TSi 300s and 400s hooked up, so I gave them a listen. I really didn't think there was going to be a $100 difference in sound between them, but there definitely was. The 400s were much fuller and louder, and the 300s just seemed lacking, even when not being compared to the 400s. The problem is that the 300s are still almost $100 more than the Pioneers, but I've always heard the FS-52s compared more to the TSi 400s. So to my question:

Are the Pioneers closer in sound to the TSi 400s or the 300s?

I also noticed that the Pioneer speakers are 6 ohm impedance. My receiver (Yamaha RX-V671) doesn't look like it was designed for 6 ohm speakers in mind. It has a "6 ohm mode" that you can activate via a convoluted process, but I've yet to see any power ratings for 6 ohm speakers in the manual or online, with the exception of a vague mention of 170W dynamic power at 6 ohms, and only for the front speakers. Combined with the fact that the Pioneers are 90-130W at 6 ohms and the receiver is rated at 90W at 8 ohms, I'm a little worried about overdriving the amp. Even moreso considering I would probably be holding off buying a sub for a while, and Pioneers have a pretty low sensitivity as well (just 86 dB). Does anybody have any experience with this or a similar setup?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Why don't you check out the Polk monitor 70s online,they have the same SQ as the tsi line, just don't look as nice, but cost a lot less.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 419
The Yamaha can/will play 6 ohm speakers.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

I took a look at the Polk's on Newegg. I can get some Monitor 70s, a CS1, and some Monitor 30 surrounds for about $50 more than the Pioneer setup. That's a really good deal, particularly compared to what a similar TSi 400-500 would cost. But I keep reading such glowing reviews for the Pioneers and a lot of people saying the Polk's sound overblown and unrealistic.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Pionners, due to price and the fact I could have them today. But is the Polk deal too good to pass up?
post #7 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM

The best thing is to get what you like. A lot of the differences comes down to preference. I say buy what's in your budget and your ears like. If I understand correctly, you haven't listened to the Polk or Pioneer speakers, but you did listen to something comparable to the Pioneer and liked it. If that's the case, I say buy Pioneer and enjoy it.

As for what components to buy now vs later, I recommend paying on the rears and getting a sub. You'll have either a 2.1 or 3.1 and add the other speakers down the road instead of the sub. The bic f12 and Polk psw 505 are both great subs at around $200 on Amazon. Generally the big is recommended for ht due to a higher peak wattage and Polk for music with higher continuous wattage.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up going with the Pioneer setup. I was able to get the guys at BB to plug them in and take a listen first. They just sounded clearer and more neutral than the bass heavy Polks. The only issue I've seen so far is that they're fairly quiet due to the low sensitivity.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by card-me View Post

I ended up going with the Pioneer setup. I was able to get the guys at BB to plug them in and take a listen first. They just sounded clearer and more neutral than the bass heavy Polks. The only issue I've seen so far is that they're fairly quiet due to the low sensitivity.

You made a good choice. Have fun and Enjoy.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have a question about my setup. I set the receiver to the 6 ohm setting, but I'm thinking I may need to switch it back to 8 ohm. I noticed when I was watching Titanic on HBOHD this morning that there appeared to be some clipping in the loud scenes. I wasn't playing it very loud (-28 to -26 dB), and I noticed it was even happening at low volume (-30dB and lower), so I'm hoping it was a source issue. The amp was warm, but definitely not hot. But I'm concerned that the 6 ohm setting is limiting the power too much and causing the clipping. To be honest, I'd rather have to replace the receiver than the speakers, so should I just switch it back to 8 ohm? I never really listen to my stuff very loud (have yet to take it above -20dB), but I don't exactly have the receiver in a well ventilated spot on the bottom shelf of my entertainment stand.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Impossible to clip at -26 dB. That's well under 1Watt and well below any rail voltage limiting.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Impossible to clip at -26 dB. That's well under 1Watt and well below any rail voltage limiting.

Yeah, it wasn't actually clipping. It was like a distortion/popping sound. I guess it was the source?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page