Just got me some fat L/C/R speakers, need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 145
So, I pretty much went overboard in getting some new L/C/Rs for my home theater. I got three Tannoy DC12-i speakers and am super stoked. However, I want to make sure I baby them because they are hopefully the last theater speakers I'll have to buy. I have an Onkyo 806 with 135 watts per channel. I usually only listen to movies at -10 to -16 depending on the film. However, the recommended amp power for the Tannoys is 400W. I hear that if you overdrive your AVR and get clipping it can ruin your speakers. I don't see how clipping wouldn't ruin my current speakers, but they aren't nearly as beefy. Will I be killing my speakers if I use just my AVR? I can't really afford to get much right now, but I could probably swing getting a few Behringer EPX2000s...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Those are some fine speakers you have there! I have 3 of the same 12" drivers (no cabinets though; just the drivers).

You don't need to baby them...they aren't as fragile as you might think. smile.gif Due to their high sensitivity of 97 db, they will play loudly without a whole bunch of power. But, if you ever get the hankering, they do love current and are listed as having a max spl of 126 dB...yes, they can rock. I recommend trying them out with your Onkyo -- bet you will be plenty impressed.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'm super excited about them. I actually went ahead and got in on the Emotiva sale and got the XPA-3. The extra power may or may not be needed, but it certainly can't hurt, can it? smile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Definitely can't hurt...certainly looks cool. smile.gif I have a couple of Emo's LPA-1 amps, LMC-1 processors, and use an older DMR-1 receiver in my 2nd system.

How much did you have to drop for the Tannoys?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just shy of 2k. They were floor models, but they are in great shape and come with a full warranty.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I usually only listen to movies at -10 to -16 depending on the film. I hear that if you overdrive your AVR and get clipping it can ruin your speakers. I don't see how clipping wouldn't ruin my current speakers, but they aren't nearly as beefy. Will I be killing my speakers if I use just my AVR?

Forgot to say that at your typical listening levels, you will drive your ears into clipping far before the Tannoys. smile.gif The DC12is are going to work out great for you...it's always a little surprising to see how little play Tannoy gets on the forums. If you want to step up to a killer matching 5-channel speaker system, I noticed there is a new single DC12i on eBay for $475 shipped Buy It Now; most likely it will be less if you use the 'make offer' button. Another should come along soon...I've seen them in the $450 area a few times.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page