VERY Budget minded system - Seeking comments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello and thank you to the forum mods and all participants for providing and contributing to this forum. I'm new here, be understanding:)

I have an old, but working Onkyo TX SV xxxPro receiver (I think it's a 440) that I bought in college and continue to use. Right now it's just hooked up to a set of the same vintage Paradigm Phantom speakers and a budget paradigm center speaker. I want to get smaller speakers and have recently started looking around. My real passion is family and traditional hot rods and customs so I'm not going to spend much money on this system but I want it to be better than a simple big box store theater in a box. I've located a pair of Titans and a pair of Atoms that I can get for $180. The same guy has a PS800 and a CC150 and he'd throw them in for another $120. That would put me at $300.
My alternative, since I have a center speaker now(either a CC150 or CC100) would be to buy a Velodyne CHT-12 that I found for $150-$175 to pair with the Titans. The Atoms would handle surround duties. All this would be hooked to my ancient, beloved Onkyo.
Which way would you go? Either way, for $300 to $350 dollars is this a good system? My living room is small but has a high ceiling and is open to dining room.

Thanks guys,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
I would almost always preference a system with a subwoofer over one without (exceptions usually around high-end towers that go low and loud)
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that the question is should I buy the PS 800 and center speaker for an extra $120 or spend that money on the velodyne cht12. or not get either and keep looking for a higher quality, secondhand sub in the $150 range?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? I also found a BIC F12 for $170 locally. I've read decent things about that too.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page