Pre-Installed speakers and pre-wired house - need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am pretty new to this forum. I have used and owned few simple home entertainment systems in past but by no means I know anything in the world of A/V. I owned a Philips DVD Home Theater system HTS3555. I used it for several years in a small apartment living room. So I would still consider myself as a n00b.

Recently I moved into a new home and it has ceiling speaker installer on 2nd floor living room and a/v wiring done all over the house which includes 1st floor, back yard and 2nd floor. Now I am not sure how many rooms are connected and what-not but all I see is following:

1. 2nd floor has 4 ceiling speakers with 4 sets of wires coming out of wall, capable of adding banana plugs to them. I am attaching pictures.
The first 2 pictures are showing the type of speaker. Seems like they are SpeakerCraft AIM7 DT Three and SpeakerCraft AIM7 Two. These were taken from the Attic.

These 2 pictures show the room configuration.

Question: I have no idea what kind of speakers are these and what are they capable of? Also not sure if one set of them has to be front and other two has to be back? (room is square in shape and I can place TV on either side of the room and TV coax outlets are also on both sides) Could someone who has used these speakers explain me about them, some do's and dont's etc and what kind of setup they have that complements these?

2. 1st floor has 5 sets of speaker wires coming out of wall. I can guess that 2 of them goto 2 speaker outlets on the wall where TV is going to be placed (there are 2 wall plates with wires coming out at a general speaker height). I guess 2 of them will go to the back yard (I have seen speakers in the yard when I came to initially see the house before the previous owners moved out, the speakers are not there any more but the wires are still hanging around).
Here is the picture of the 2 wall plates and speaker wires from above/behind the TV wall.

Question: So now I am not sure where does the 5th set of speaker wire go or what is it attached to? Since this is in 1st floor, I cannot rip out the 2nd floor carpet to see what they have done with it. Can anyone tell me how to figure out where the 5th set of speaker wires is going to?
Also since there are only 2 wire outlets in the 1st floor living room, does it mean If I have to setup a home a/v system, I can only use something that has 2 speakers + 1 central speaker + 1 woofer (i guess that is called as 3.1 setup????)? How can I make it work with the banana plugs for outdoor speakers such that when I am in back yard & I want to play music only in backyard or whole of 1st floor + backyard?

Please help me. I have been looking at these wires every day and going crazy......:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Cable detectors are available. Essentially, you connect an oscillator to one pair of wires, and then trace the cable using a RF detector unit. A local a/v or electronics shop might be able to provide one.

Sorry, I can't help with the speakers. You might try contacting the original owners to find out what they were planning to do. (Superficially they look like something you'd use for ambient musak, not high-quality surround-sound speakers.)

Selden
post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply...

I googled and found several 'Network Cable/Telephone Line Tester/Detector.' Is that the correct term?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Probably. There should be some mention of detecting the wires through sheetrock.

However, some tracers are designed for use when you have access to both ends of the cable and just need to figure out which wire is which. (I saw one such in use recently when the phone in my office had no dial tone. The telephone tech plugged a dongle into the office outlet, and then ran a device with a speaker over the bare connections in the cross-connect's punch-down block to find the corresponding wires. It turned out that a wire had fallen out of a cross-connect in another building.)

Selden
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

@Selden - Thanks, I will try to find out about various detectors available.

BTW is there anyone else here who can help me with the SpeakerCraft speakers that I have shown in my original post?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If crossovers and price are any indication of how good a speaker is those should sound pretty good - as good as an in-ceiling speaker can sound anyway. Had you done a google search you'd find out the aim7 sells for around $200 or so each. And that Speakercraft sells a lot to installers from what I've seen and they don't usually install junk.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, you are right. I did searched before posting and I saw that that these are not cheap. The AIM7 DT 3 was around 300 or more and the other one was around 200 - 250. The problem was I did not found many reviwes or helpfull links about them etc. So I am now interested to know from actual users of these or folks who deals in these kind of things everyday. And then the whole other aspect is I am new to setting up home a/v and I would love to learn and do it myself as much as possible.
And that's why I am here...
post #8 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Since you already have them installed why not sort out the wiring then connect a stereo or multi-channel receiver to them and take a listen? Reviews are handy to read but they'll never be able to answer the most important question - do you like them?

As far as orientation I'd put the threes in the front L/R speaker positions since they are the larger speaker. As for your wiring that is something that cannot be sorted out without giving lots of detail - and probably pictures of the wires where they come out of the junction box at the wall. Usual wiring in-wall is often twisted pairs with white or black being common.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I just bought a reciever and I connected the speakers. They all seem to work fine. I am still missing a center speaker and a SW so will test more once I buy them.
Thanks for your input.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page