Looking for pair of speakers! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shaneb0422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am interested in another set of bookshelves or floorstanders.
Preferably floorstanders.

I would love to keep it 200~ or less.
Closer to 100 is best.

Here's my requirement.
They must be as good, preferably better than PSB Alpha B1's.

They will go in the bedroom for nighttime tv and a bit of music while working - obviously I'll do some serious listening, but I don't expect "serious" sound.
Only thing other than my Atlantic Tech stuff I have for the theater (which I don't expect to out-do for that price). I have owned PSB Alpha B1 and Paradigm Mini Monitor v5's
I would prefer them to sound as good - really more detailed than those two. Though I do like the Paradigms over the PSB.
Relaxed - with dynamics. Not bright/tinny or fatiguing.
The auto stuff I have owned from Polk - I liked. No idea if that translates to home.

Does the Energy/Jamo stuff fit that bill?
Right now I can get Energy EF-500 for $129 - list price $399

I imagine I could probably get some Polk floor standers for around that if I search for a deal.
Any other brands/models I should check out that could or sometimes have a deal under $200 that meet those criteria?
Anything other than a black finish is extra points on the "I want" scale.

EDIT_Some deals I have found -
Energy EF500 - $129 - List $399
Polk Monitor 50 - $126 - List $399


If I was willing to go 150 each - 300-350 a pair - would it be a noticeable enough upgrade to make a huge difference - or does it take like going to the 500 dollar range to really get better bang for buck?
shaneb0422 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneb0422 View Post

I imagine I could probably get some Polk floor standers for around that if I search for a deal.
Any other brands/models I should check out that could or sometimes have a deal under $200 that meet those criteria?
Anything other than a black finish is extra points on the "I want" scale.

If you are talking about $200 a pair for towers - then keep saving up.

As far as bookshelves for $200 a pair, then you have a chance.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shaneb0422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That was what I always thought - then I saw those two up for sale - was unsure if they were worth the effort.

If not - which you seem to say not -

Where do I need to start - $400? $500?
The budget is a soft limit - more of a - I know if I spent 200 on some towers I would have no buyers remorse smile.gif
I don't need 1k dollar 2 channel. I don't have the time to enjoy that. If I did - I would likely try the Atlantic Tech AT-2's.
This is for watching netflix while fallin' asleep and the occasional music while working.
I didn't think the feat was too great - be better than PSB Alpha/Paradigm Mini-Monitor
What would you recommend?
shaneb0422 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneb0422 View Post

I didn't think the feat was too great - be better than PSB Alpha/Paradigm Mini-Monitor
What would you recommend?

For towers - HTD Level Two
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Tower-Speakers

For bookshelf - The Level Three
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Bookshelf-Speakers

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shaneb0422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting- I have never heard of HTD -
Do you consider them a brand for those who can't afford "name" brand speakers, or is it a case of that little brand that's awesome but no one knows cause your paying for quality not advertising and shiny logos?

If I were to go $500 - $550 - would you still recommend them?

Just so I understand - (I am all about going for the not so popular but awesome quality deal.)

Are the Energy basically crap? Their "list" price is same as those...They are just on a 8 day closeout on newegg.

Just trying to learn - in general.

Those bookshelves look pretty awesome.
How are the Level Two bookshelves? They look like they might be a little more compact than I need
What would I get with the Level Two Towers over the Level Three Bookshelves - larger single driver in the shelves, but two 5.25 in the tower? Same driver type but not a ribbon tweeter.
Is there a $100 dollar benefit to the ribbon tweeter/tower style speaker?

I have never heard towers - fyi. beyond enclosure size offering options for more drivers and deeper response, i don't know of the other benefits

edit - are the towers legitimately full-range? And the bookshelves?
shaneb0422 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneb0422 View Post

Interesting- I have never heard of HTD -
Do you consider them a brand for those who can't afford "name" brand speakers, or is it a case of that little brand that's awesome but no one knows cause your paying for quality not advertising and shiny logos?
If I were to go $500 - $550 - would you still recommend them?
Just so I understand - (I am all about going for the not so popular but awesome quality deal.)
Are the Energy basically crap? Their "list" price is same as those...They are just on a 8 day closeout on newegg.
Just trying to learn - in general.
Those bookshelves look pretty awesome.
How are the Level Two bookshelves? They look like they might be a little more compact than I need
What would I get with the Level Two Towers over the Level Three Bookshelves - larger single driver in the shelves, but two 5.25 in the tower? Same driver type but not a ribbon tweeter.
Is there a $100 dollar benefit to the ribbon tweeter/tower style speaker?
I have never heard towers - fyi. beyond enclosure size offering options for more drivers and deeper response, i don't know of the other benefits
edit - are the towers legitimately full-range? And the bookshelves?

About HTD, you answered the question yourself.smile.gif

The Energy tower, is a rebadge entry level Jamo speaker -
The Polk tower is also entry level

HTD is a company with well designed/engineered speakers, and are not cheaply
put together - and their aim/goal is higher than the so-called mass market level.

I consider the Level Two bookshelves better than the Alpha and Mini Monitor.
I would go with the Level Two towers, if you have no subwoofer >> or if your
subwoofer is a cheapy boomy one. The Level Two towers will give you more
bass and depth, over the bookshelves.

The Level Three bookshelves have a better tweeter, and will present a bigger
soundstage over the Level Two bookshelf - and can take more power and will
play louder. >> While the Level Three bookshelf has a better tweeter over the
Level Two towers - the Two towers will have more bass.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shaneb0422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cool - I'm all about paying for quality vs cool graphics or whatever...
And I get a color other than black! smile.gif
Though it isn't as fancy as some Vienna Beethoven - It may not satisfy (the all time hottest speaker finish to me).

Well - as these will likely have less than awesome placement in the bedroom - and sitting to either side of a desk for work - they won't have a wide soundstage all the time - I will likely go with the towers.
I just want the best bang for buck. If tower is that - great, if bookshelf - awesome.
They have discontinued light cherry towers for 350 -
Maybe all these color options aren't a good thing - I have no idea what I want!!!
If they aren't detailed enough - it looks like they have an awesome return policy and I'll swap for L3 bookshelves.

But the mobility/nicer-ness of a tower is very appealing.

Looks like you sold me on HTD! Congrats. You also got me to spend twice as much as I thought I was.

Unless someone else jumps out with another speaker that is better and is on awesome clearance.

I wish the Level 3 Tower wasn't such a jump in price! Nearly double.

WHOA their in Dallas - Maybe they will let me come check em out - I'm like 40mi away! Maybe even pick em up instead of ship.
shaneb0422 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneb0422 View Post

WHOA their in Dallas - Maybe they will let me come check em out - I'm like 40mi away! Maybe even pick em up instead of ship.
Good idea, they will give you a demo. Good Luck!

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
shaneb0422's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I picked up a few craigslist deals - in them was a pair of Polk RT800 Towers.
After some research - they seemed to have some pretty good reviews - and for 70 bucks they will get me a introduction into a tower speaker smile.gif. Still very interested in HTD - just hate MSRP so will keep an eye open for a deal.

I can say - a bit of netflix listening with them in horrible places in a bedroom - fairly surprised. Their 90db rating is crap - a bit power hungry comparatively. But they sound good. Image well to the center (some time in the music room will bring out much more knowledge). Did well for 70 bucks though, I think.

Thanks again for the help!
shaneb0422 is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off