Christmas Advice for my Dad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My dad is really wanting new speakers for his living room. We went to Best Buy and demoed some speakers and he really likes the Definitive Technology SM55's and the Bowers and Wilkins 685's. He's also not opposed to tower speakers as well. However, the problem is cost! I'm trying to stick around the $200 price mark. I'm a Best Buy employee and so I get the Def Techs and B&W's for 1/2 the price, but it's still a bit high for the Christmas budget.

My dad also loves vintage speakers, so suggestions definitely don't have to be new. Thanks!

EDIT: So no my budget is at $300, so what's the best $300 bookshelf speakers you can think of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just bought a 5.0 setup of Polk speakers for my father-in-law for his birthday. Grand total was $300 for two pairs of bookshelf speakers and a center channel. You should be able to get them for even less with your employee discount. Unless he is an audiophile that is used to the high end stuff, he should be really happy with the Polks.

post #3 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
My advice is that you are not going to buy anything that an audiophile will want to listen to for $200, even with a big discount.

For $299, you can get a pair of KEF iQ10 speakers from KEF Direct (they were $499 not long ago, and that is a very good deal). IMO they sound better than the B & W 685, and a LOT better than the DefTech speakers.

Don't waste your money on something he won't like.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
if he likes Definitive Technology sometimes newegg.com has specials on them. they had good discounts for black friday. christmas is coming soon. maybe newegg will run more specials on Definitive Technology
post #5 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

My advice is that you are not going to buy anything that an audiophile will want to listen to for $200, even with a big discount.

For $299, you can get a pair of KEF iQ10 speakers from KEF Direct (they were $499 not long ago, and that is a very good deal). IMO they sound better than the B & W 685, and a LOT better than the DefTech speakers.

Don't waste your money on something he won't like.
Your advice is lop sided I've heard the iQ10's and there sound is thin and not much else...they are concidered sattilites not bookshelves and better than the deftech's? Please! The 55's stomp the kef's in every aspect...I've got Q-tips if you so wish...wink.gif

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #6 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

Your advice is lop sided I've heard the iQ10's and there sound is thin and not much else...they are concidered sattilites not bookshelves and better than the deftech's? Please! The 55's stomp the kef's in every aspect...I've got Q-tips if you so wish...wink.gif
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Since when are the iq10's considered satellite speakers? The dimensions are (11.8 x 6.9 x 10.3 in.). Since when is that the size of a satellite speaker?
http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/hi-fi_series/classicq_series/fact_sheet/bookshelf/iq10/index.html

I guess the Def Tech SM45 is a satellite speaker too? Dimensions 11.7" x 6.8" x 11.7"

Afro GT
post #7 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

My budget has now shifted more around $300. So what now: the KEF's or the B&W's? And this may be ignorant, but are the Polk RTi A3's way below the other options quality-wise?

EDIT: I've also heard some great things about DALI speakers, but have never heard of them.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

brad our ears all hear things differently. some expensive speakers sound horrible to me and I sometimes like the cheaper brand better. it is good to hear a lot of brands. has your dad heard polk audio before in the past? if so did he like it? b&w is good, but a little overpriced I feel like. it helps with your discount though if you get b&w. what kind of music will he be listening to? are you on the east or west coast brad
post #9 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

is he wanting the speakers for mostly music or movies also? does he like his speakers neutral or a little bright sounding with the tweeters being real high pitched?
post #10 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

brad sometimes newegg.com has big discounts on polk speakers if you decide to go polk.
post #11 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

when I was at a best buy magnolia store Brad, I heard Mirage, Martin Logan, and b@w. the mirage speakers sounded great, but not much bass at all. I like a lot of bass in my speakers. The expensive martin logan bookshelf speakers and electrostat martin logans sounded good, but I couldn't afford them and not enough bass. I only heard more expensive kef speakers before. they sound good, but your dad might like the polk audio speakers just as well. my neighbors parents used to have two older polk audio floorstanding speakers with 10 or 12 inch woofers in them i think. They used a marantz receiver with it. they played genesis sledgehammer and it sounded very detailed and amazing on the polk audio speakers. Some new polk audio speakers that I heard lately don't sound as good to me as the 80s and 90s stuff. I think that for the money you can find great sounding speakers cheaper then b@w. don't get me wrong b@w sounds good, but some of the models are overpriced.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

whatever brand that you decide to get for him I am sure that he will appreciate it.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

brad watch out for the vintage speaker sellers on craigslist ebay audiogon etc. some want way to much. some of those old speakers are so old that the foam surrounds could fall of any minute. one of the most overpriced vintage speakers that I see on craigslist and ebay are cerwin vega d9. I could buy new cerwin vegas for close to the price that most these people want for them used. any older vintage speaker brands that he likes a lot? if the sellers tell you these 30 year old vintage speakers go for 500 dollars on ebay so i want that much etc tell them that ebay is a different market and you are not paying that much for 30 year old speakers and try to negotiate. sometimes the sellers will go half of what they origionally wanted when negotiating. sometimes you just have to walk away if they refuse to negotiate from a very high price.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Some more details:

These are going in a living room and will be a good 10-12 feet apart. They will be going against a wall. My dad strayed away from the 5" woofer size and felt the 6-6 1/2" was adequate for enough bass response. He listens to many genres of music, is a big fan of Brian Setzer, and it's important to him for there to be great clarity with many instruments playing simultaneously. He's more into the rich sound than the bright sound.

He currently has Bose 401's in one room which he loves. He also has some M&K satellites in his home theatre room and some Polk Audio towers (older model) in his studio. This room is specifically for music.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

oh okay the bright sound is more for klipsch. the polks won't be as bright i think. i heard tannoy once and thought it was to tinty. 6 and half inch woofer i think sounds good fopr bass better then 5 inch woofer. i agree with him.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

some bose stuff sounds good but a lot of it is overpriced for what you get. there are cheaper brands that sounds just as good. people think that bose should use better speaker cones insteaD of paper.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyedward View Post

My dad is really wanting new speakers for his living room. We went to Best Buy and demoed some speakers and he really likes the Definitive Technology SM55's and the Bowers and Wilkins 685's. He's also not opposed to tower speakers as well. However, the problem is cost! I'm trying to stick around the $200 price mark. I'm a Best Buy employee and so I get the Def Techs and B&W's for 1/2 the price, but it's still a bit high for the Christmas budget.
My dad also loves vintage speakers, so suggestions definitely don't have to be new. Thanks!
EDIT: So no my budget is at $300, so what's the best $300 bookshelf speakers you can think of?

if he likes the def techs and b&ws and they fit in your budget, get one of them, they are both good speakers if you can get them for $300ish. I would ask your pops which he liked best tho.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #18 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

if he likes the def techs and b&ws and they fit in your budget, get one of them, they are both good speakers if you can get them for $300ish. I would ask your pops which he liked best tho.

That would also be my answer, and the SM55 does a good job with music.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #19 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 156
The def tech sm450s sound very good for music! Got them for 200 dollars/pr from new egg this summer...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page