For ~$1000, is there a better HTIB system than buying separate speakers? 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm on a budget and want to buy a 5.1 system with a receiver for around $1000. Is there a really good HTIB system for around $1000 that could possible beat buying the speakers and receiver separately?

Would spending ~$1000 for speakers and a receiver for a 17 * 12 * 9 room be enough?

My living room and dining room are connected, so there is a big opening in between the two. If put up a blanket or something temporarily, will that close off the room and be fine to listen with a home theater system?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Depends on your definition of Htib...to me, there are really three ways to get a system:
1. Htib, all in one, usually lack quality, but not always.
2. 5.1 speaker package plus reciever...some very good speaker manufacutures will bundle- EMPtek recently had a nive Impression series 5.1 for 800 dollars or so.
3. Buy each component on its own. Requires the most research and shipping can add up, but you can usually get the best system this way.

But to answer your question...you would likely have a better system with a budget reciever and Pioneer Andrew Jones, Polk Monitor or Infintiy Primus speakers plus a decent budget sub!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 AM

Close to 2, you can buy 5 matching speakers then get your sub and receiver separately. Based on your budget I recommend either the Polk psw505 or comparable bic sub from Amazon, which will set you back just shy of $200. Both are great values. I'd then recommend auditioning some speakers with msrp a tad above your budget, and scouring audiogon and craigslist where you can find excellent deals to get a little more for your money. Your budget is around mine, but I started at 2.1 with receiver for $600 and am slowly adding the rest with a center this year. Craigslist has been great for me along with the above mentioned sub. You may find a good deal on a receiver at Amazon or newegg too.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 AM

I just went through this myself, with a very similar budget. (Mine was 1,000 for speakers, and just as I started shopping my existing receiver died, so i had to scrounge an extra 500 for a total of 1500 for 5 speakers and receiver.)

After reading reviews, dozens of threads, and getting advice from the gurus here, I settled on the HTD Level 2 speakers and a refurb Marantz receiver. Set me back right under 1400.00. The importance of matching my L/R fronts and center was stressed, so I shopped with that in mind. (I initially looked at some compact satellite systems, but being the room is not small, and I like BIG sound, so towers made more sense for my fronts...)

Good luck in your quest! I'll have my theater completed in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully then I can post some pics and a review of the gear I decided on. Happy hunting!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page