B&W DS3 placement suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a pair of DS3's to use as surrounds. They will replace my Boston Acoustics surrounds. The sofa (main seating) sits up against the back wall and the surrounds would be on the side walls up against the ceiling. I don't have a lot of options for height. How far away from the back wall should I mount these speakers?

thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 11
Mine are 90 degrees to slightly behind the listening position about 2 feet above ear level (rule of thumb is ear height when standing) and I run them as monopoles. You do not want them in front of your LP nor less than 2 feet above your ear level when seated. Not sure about back wall distance, but it is probably about 1 to 1.5 feet. I really like these speakers. You can experiment with dipole vs monopole but I found myself much preferring monopole mode.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Sorry I just read your height comments in your post. If that close to ceiling maybe consider a corner mount pointed down towards LP?

Hopefully others will chime in
post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks RSTide - I can do the 1 - 2 feet from the back wall with no problem, but can't make adjustments to the height. I hope to install these on Saturday. I'll try both the dipole and monopole to see which one we prefer. The dipole feature was one of the reasons we purchased these speakers.

Mike
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Great, just make sure they are not forward of your listening position.

I also was coming from dipole surrounds and thought I would use the Ds3 in the same way. But, I found I much preferred the monopole mode, which gives much better bass response (dipole mode does not use the larger kevlar driver).
post #6 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let everyone know I got the DS2's mounted. To keep them from being forward of the listening position they are mounted about 9" off the back wall. We watched the Batman movie the other night and we thought the speakers sounded great. I still need to perform the Audyssey setup, but won't get to that until after the holidays. Once Audyssey is setup, I'll see whether or not we prefer monopole or dipole.

Mike
post #7 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Similar situation in that the back row is right on that back wall, just a few inches off. I went into this thinking I was going 7.1 or 7.2 but almost sounds like 5.1 is better if I choose dipoles. So if I decide on the DS3 are they better off in a 5.1 setup in a smaller 16 feet deep room? Not to mention price gets up there if having to purchase 4. Just read a dipole setup guide and they said if you do 7.1, to reverse the rears in dipole so put the R on L, anyone try that?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM

I think if you are sitting right on the back wall, 5.1 makes the most sense.

Re: placement of speakers on the back wall, there are specific instructions on how to do so in the DS3 manual.

I found with mine that I prefer the monopole setting to the dipole. The dipole mode does not use the larger driver on the front speaker face. The nice thing about this speaker in you can experiment with both modes to see which you prefer.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM

Much appreciated, going to pick them up now. Only way to know for sure I suppose is to fire them up in my room smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page