New guy looking for an opinion on speaker purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,
i've been lurking for a while whenever i needed some quick info and i find the forum really useful.
Anyway, i'm looking for a quick opinion or feedback:

My current system is a Pioneer 1020-k, Polk R50 towers, Polk CS-1 center and 4 Polk R40 bookshelfs
My useage is 90% HT, but i recently added a turntable and am listening to a LOT more music.

I'm itching to make an upgrade, and i REALLY like the Onkyo TX-NR709 (my bedroom receiver in an HT-RC360, and there are things about it i prefer over the pioneer). For a myriad of reasons this is my ideal receiver in this price range. However i'm leery because of the HDMI issues. I also feel like the speakers are a weaker link. I'm happy with the Polks, but i think the money might be spent more effectively there.

Newegg has the new Polk Monitor 75T's on sale today for $231/ea. I'm not finding much in feedback on these and it doesn't look like they are available locally to listen to. However i feel like i could drop these into my existing system, move the R50's to the surround position and make a huge impact.

I'm hesitating because i can technically afford better (read: more expensive) speakers, but i can't afford to run through all my speakers right now.

So should i gamble on the receiver, get the speakers, or wait until i can do a more comprehensive upgrade?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Unless you don't have a sub there is little to no difference between any of the polk monitor towers. At least that's MY opinion. wink.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
forgot the sub. i've got a boston acoustics that i'm pretty happy with.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page