Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

regarding post #25 in your price range-ish for Dynaudio speakers
DM3/7s $1995
excite x32s $3000
excite X36s $3600
Focus 160s $2900
Focus 260s $4900
Contour S1.4 $3600
yes, there are 2 bookshelf recomendations there, because the bookshelfs have bass. real bass. Just wait until you hear them.

hey callas thanks for this i think i'll check out both the excite X36 and the focus 260
no chance i can afford any of those new though

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
okay so i just finished my latest demo session yesterday! it was even more eye opening than my last session! biggrin.gif

Here's the speakers I heard in the order I heard them: (all w/o subs)
PSB Imagine T2
Totem Hawk
(same room same placement, same amps)
Magnepan 20.7 (idk about the model exactly-i think it was that one)
(same room, mirrored placement, similar amps)
PSB Synchrony 1
Paradigm Signature S8 V5
Dynaudio Contour 5.4
(same room same placement, same amps)

Demo Material
-Dashboard Confessional: So Impossible EP
-Red: The End of Silence
-Jimmy Eat World: Futures
-Dove: Jazz Classics
-Jesus Culture: Awakening Live

Here are some of my overall impressions:
-YOU CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ UNTIL YOU HEAR FOR YOURSELF! - Unless you get an opinion that is unbiased and even better an opinion from someone who you know shares your particulars in audio. I can't believe how DIFFERENT the opinions of posters here and elsewhere are from my actual demo experiences - NIGHT AND DAY! It makes me wonder if people are getting paid to give certain opinions or something...and for those thinking I'm off my rocker, I did not audition these alone - my blind uncle who has perfect pitch and is a virtuoso pianist with an acute ability to discern sound was along with me and also echoed many of my concluions - yes we had different LIKES and DISLIKES but how we HEARD each speaker was virtually identical. Granted OPINIONS DIFFER...BUT certain claims i've read are just ridiculously false!
-After hearing all of these speakers I realized that demoing speakers is easier than expected! I thought I would have SUCH a hard time deciphering what I liked - it was not that hard at all biggrin.gif
-Also, it was amazing to note that jumping from series w/ in a brand proved to deliver a totally different experience than I had expected. BOTH the imagine to the synchrony and the studio to the signature were NOT improved versions of each other but rather TOTALLY different speakers with their own distinct audio characteristics.

Here are my impressions for each speaker respectively:
-PSB Imagine T2: very good detail but a little too much in your face sound to me - the sax on some songs was too shrill (MUCH smoother and more pleasant on the synchrony 1's), powerful bass with good extension w/o a sub (most bass out of all the speakers)
-Totem Hawk: sounded very STERILE with little character... like a yamaha NS-10 studio monitor pair! NO tactile experience whatsoever with these - i've both read on totem's website and heard people make claims on the forums that they were great with bass extension - i have one question - did they demo them with a subwoofer?! Seriously!!
-Magnepan 20.7: tried these tall slim giants for a kick and they had the most laid back sound presentation out of all of them - the ribbons are certainly the cause for this - my uncle LOVED these b/c of that particular way they sounded - not in your face whatsoever...like you are at a show sitting in the back listening to a performance - that is the impression they give.
-PSB Synchrony 1: Excellent speaker - not too in your face but present enough to be powerful and involving. Definitely a very clear and articulate speaker and one of my favorites. It's amazing how this is NOT an upgraded version of the Imagine T2 - it is an ENTIRELY different speaker! (and a MUCH better one IMO) The voicing of its sonic character was SO different and very beautiful. Jazz sounded EXCELLENT on these babies! This had the cleanest and most articulate and musical bass out of all of them.
-Paradigm Signature S8 V5: now I was expecting a slight upgrade from the studio's for these but that is not what I got. again like the synchrony's, they are a totally different speaker from their younger brothers - the sigs were more laid back and mellow than the studio's and didn't really wow me like the studios did - the sound was very pleasant and detailed but the sound character was not better IMO than the studios.
-Dynaudio Contour 5.4: TERRIBLE! I'm a HUGE dashboard confessional fan and i played track one from so impossible ep and the S's were STABBING me in the ears - they were SO pronounced it was disgustingly distracting from the experience. I hit the stop button after about a minute of play. LOL

My questions:
Could someone tell me if there's a dynaudio speaker that doesn't sound like this one did? I listened to their studio monitor offerings (bm5aii etc.) and same thing SUPER sharp s's and just terrible painful listening experience! I can't wrap my mind around why people rave about dynaudio speakers (and MANY do) unless they offer a speaker that doesn't do this terrible thing to the listener! lol
Could someone tell me if the totem forest (the only other totem in my price range) has a different sound character than the hawk? Like I described the imagine/synchrony and studio/signature being different beasts - is it the same for the hawk/forest?
Can anyone who has listened to any of my ID possibles who gets a feel for my taste tell me what i may or may not like? It is MUCH easier to demo in store brands but ID is a BIG pain for obvious reasons. I have plans to demo all of the remaining dealer brands except for energy - can't seem to find the veritas v6.3 anywhere near me.

Bottom Line - for price and audio quality the Paradigm Studio 100 V5 is still at the top of my list and has yet to be dethroned by anything else I've listened to thus far! I would say a close second or even possibly a tie in the audio quality department would be the PSB synchrony 1's but they are nearly 2k more per pair!

Possibles:
Paradigm Studio 100 $3500/ /$1475
Energy Veritas V-6.3 $3000/ /1050
Revel F206 $3000/ /
Monitor Audio Gold GX200 $ / /$1800
KEF R700 $ / /$1850
Focal Chorus 836v ($/$2550)/836w $4400/
comparable canton offering - so annoying can't find prices
Axiom Audio M80 V3 (ID)
Pinnacle BD 2000 II $5000/ (used only) (ID)
Aperion Verus Grand (ID)
Ascend Sierra $1900/ (ID)
Salk Song Tower (ID)
Philharmonic 1 Tower (ID)
SVS Ultra Towers $2000 (ID)
Atlantic Technology 8200e LR $3700/ (ID)

THE SEARCH GOES ON! biggrin.gif

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #33 of 46 Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Liked: 17
It's good that you're out listening to speakers, as each person has his/her individual preferences. Buy what you like. My only question is how you went from $1,000 for five speakers to $10,000 (Dynaudio Contour 5.4) for a stereo pair.
post #34 of 46 Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

If you can, listen to Linn Majik 140 floor standers.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-majik-140-loudspeaker
post #35 of 46 Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

It's good that you're out listening to speakers, as each person has his/her individual preferences. Buy what you like. My only question is how you went from $1,000 for five speakers to $10,000 (Dynaudio Contour 5.4) for a stereo pair.

LOL - It is not what it seems - the only reason I listened to some speakers in the 10-15k range is just purely for reference to see if there's something thats WORTH it to my ears in that range. Even if I did like what I heard I wouldn't be purchasing them anyway.

I did decide however (and posted this earlier i'm pretty sure) that the caliber speaker I desire cannot be had for that kind of price point. So my plan has changed to this:
- Sell ALL my AV gear except my yamaha receiver and purchase the best speakers I can with around $2,000 to spend. I'll then add the remaining components going forward.

I'm not saying there's not incredible speakers for crazy prices - my dad had legacy whispers and i've heard other high end stuff like the watt puppies - both are incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post

If you can, listen to Linn Majik 140 floor standers.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-majik-140-loudspeaker

thanks i'll check them out !

post #36 of 46 Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM

Sounds like a good plan. $2,000 is where tower speakers start to get good. I haven't personally heard them myself, but the $2,000 Salks and Ascends seem to offer a lot of speaker for the money.
post #37 of 46 Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
have you considered that perhaps your dashboard confessional album is poorly recorded or engineered and therefore your experience with certian speakers is proving that? Of course you could just not like those speakers. In my experience, ribbon tweeters are fairly revealing as well, and the Ascend or Salks might, point out inefficiencies with your music as well... however Im just going off of what I have read, never heard either speaker.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #38 of 46 Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sounds like a good plan. $2,000 is where tower speakers start to get good. I haven't personally heard them myself, but the $2,000 Salks and Ascends seem to offer a lot of speaker for the money.

yeah and i'm planning on buying used or b stock or floor model so i'm looking at speakers into the $4k price range
Quote:

have you considered that perhaps your dashboard confessional album is poorly recorded or engineered and therefore your experience with certian speakers is proving that? Of course you could just not like those speakers. In my experience, ribbon tweeters are fairly revealing as well, and the Ascend or Salks might, point out inefficiencies with your music as well... however Im just going off of what I have read, never heard either speaker.

i'm 100% sure that is not the case - the same dashboard song i played on the dyns that day i also played on all the other speakers and it wasn't like that on any of them. also i played the same song back a year or so ago when i was shopping for studio monitors and the same thing happened when i played it through the dynaudio studio monitors - i thought there might be a difference moving from studio monitors to home speakers but not at all - they offered the same/very similar reproduction characteristics.

post #39 of 46 Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

Quote:

yeah and i'm planning on buying used or b stock or floor model so i'm looking at speakers into the $4k price range
Quote:

i'm 100% sure that is not the case - the same dashboard song i played on the dyns that day i also played on all the other speakers and it wasn't like that on any of them. also i played the same song back a year or so ago when i was shopping for studio monitors and the same thing happened when i played it through the dynaudio studio monitors - i thought there might be a difference moving from studio monitors to home speakers but not at all - they offered the same/very similar reproduction characteristics.

That's curious, as Dynaudios are probably the most neutral speakers I can think of. But if you don't like them you don't like them.
post #40 of 46 Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's curious, as Dynaudios are probably the most neutral speakers I can think of. But if you don't like them you don't like them.

ohhh it is beyond not liking them i LOATHE THEM lol

post #41 of 46 Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

you should look at sonus faber, they are pretty forgiving speakers. warm, laidback.

I dont mind that Dyns arent for you, but Ill tell you this, Dyns are going to give you what you give them, so crap in - crap out. I listen to a lot of poorly recorded rock music( yeah, and i have a dashboard album) and I just know that Im gonna deal with some of it. However a great recording shines. i would assume that Salk and Ascends will give you the same crap in-crap out effect, since they measure really well and flat so theyll take on what they are given.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #42 of 46 Old 01-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you should look at sonus faber, they are pretty forgiving speakers. warm, laidback.

I dont mind that Dyns arent for you, but Ill tell you this, Dyns are going to give you what you give them, so crap in - crap out. I listen to a lot of poorly recorded rock music( yeah, and i have a dashboard album) and I just know that Im gonna deal with some of it. However a great recording shines. i would assume that Salk and Ascends will give you the same crap in-crap out effect, since they measure really well and flat so theyll take on what they are given.

I concur with callas01. In addition to the Sonus Faber recommendation, I'd look at Vienna Acoustics. Both are very nice speakers and forgiving and warm.
post #43 of 46 Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

i'll check them out thanks for the recommendation
and i hear what you are saying - unfortunately I have music that I love and I'm not going to change the music that I listen to to accomodate a speaker - I need a speaker that will bring to life the music that I love. do you know what I mean?
I listened to several kinds of genres on the dyn studio monitors - some sounded good and others not so good but the only song on the contours i heard was the dashboard song. it didn't sound bad per se but the harshness of the s sounds in the vocals was absolutely atrocious and unbearable. lol
Quote:

I concur with callas01. In addition to the Sonus Faber recommendation, I'd look at Vienna Acoustics. Both are very nice speakers and forgiving and warm.

oh boy i'm trying to narrow my list! eek.gif

post #44 of 46 Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

Then the Salk in question would be the Veracity HT2-TL or HT3 rather than the SongTower line.
There are some used ones out there.
post #45 of 46 Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

Then the Salk in question would be the Veracity HT2-TL or HT3 rather than the SongTower line.
There are some used ones out there.

i would love to believe you but i have yet to find even a pair of salk song towers for sale for less than 2k
most are b/t 2 and 2.5k let alone the higher models.

find me a pair of HT2-TL's used for 2k or less and i will buy them biggrin.gif

post #46 of 46 Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

i would love to believe you but i have yet to find even a pair of salk song towers for sale for less than 2k
most are b/t 2 and 2.5k let alone the higher models.

find me a pair of HT2-TL's used for 2k or less and i will buy them biggrin.gif
You may be right there. I was remembering a pair of HT3's that went for $3400 a while back (there's a pair out there right now for $4k... if I had the money...) and it gave me an incorrect view of how the prices align in the used Salk market (what an HT2 would be).
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page