time to UPGRADE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey AVS family its been a while since i've posted on here - last time it was discussing my subwoofer purchase! i'm now the happy owner (for now lol) of TWO HSU VTF3-MK3's smile.gif that i picked up for around 900 shipped.

BUT that's not the topic here - I'm looking to upgrade my entire 5 speaker surround sound system! I will at least break even w/ what I paid for the entire setup which is AMAZING! So I'll have all the cash plus around 500 to throw at my new setup.

Budget ~ $1000 for 2 mains, center, 2 surrounds

I currently have
Polk Monitor 70 II
Polk Monitor40 II (now sold)
Polk Monitor CS2 II (now sold)
powered by Yamaha Aventage RXA-3000

I have three questions
1. What brands/product lines should I be considering to replace the Polk Monitor setup I have? I would like to buy USED if I can (i've found some KILLER deals on eBay like a pair of B&W 683's and Polk RTIA7's for around 500 shipped)
*The goal is to step up big time in quality w/o stepping up big time w/ the wallet and from sold listings I know its completely possible!

3. I had monitor40 bookshelf speakers as my surrounds but both the 600 series and rti series, (and others i may consider i'm sure will) have true dipole surround speakers - should I forget the bookshelf options in those series for their dipole surround speaker options? (I think I know the answer to this but I wanted some input)

2. Would my AVR or the addition of an external amp be appropriate/beneficial to power my speakers? (side note - does anyone know if the yamaha automatically drives the speakers with as much power available or can you step up the power to the max?) I've heard monitors are "power hungry" and if they sound good its when they are played LOUD! Not sure if that's due to my AVR being unable to power the monitors adequately or what.

**The monitors are nice but i got spoiled by my dad owning legacy whispers, martin logan electrostatics, and having listened to wilson watt puppies and many other HIGH end setups so i'm not easily impressed anymore unfortunately hahaha smile.gif I'm looking for a speaker that can give impressive detail and adequate SPL's when played even at moderate volume.

So to start i've come up with two options that are higher end than my monitors that are still w/ in my budget - polk rti7 or 9 and b&w 683

educate me! smile.gif

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
2. Would my AVR or the addition of an external amp be appropriate/beneficial to power my speakers? (side note - does anyone know if the yamaha automatically drives the speakers with as much power available or can you step up the power to the max?) I've heard monitors are "power hungry" and if they sound good its when they are played LOUD! Not sure if that's due to my AVR being unable to power the monitors adequately or what.

I'm not sure what the highlighted question means. Your receiver will give the speakers the power it needs for a certain volume. Its not gonna be maxed out if you only need 5 or 10 watts. The RX-V3000 is a very capable receiver. Its a 51lb beast with an ample power supply. Unless the speakers you plan to buy are 4 ohm speakers or have a very low sensitivity I doubt you'll need more power. How big is your room?

If you're looking for used speakers you should probably post your location so that we can scour the local craigslist ads for you.

Afro GT
post #3 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I'm not sure what the highlighted question means. Your receiver will give the speakers the power it needs for a certain volume. Its not gonna be maxed out if you only need 5 or 10 watts. The RX-V3000 is a very capable receiver. Its a 51lb beast with an ample power supply. Unless the speakers you plan to buy are 4 ohm speakers or have a very low sensitivity I doubt you'll need more power. How big is your room?
If you're looking for used speakers you should probably post your location so that we can scour the local craigslist ads for you.

hey thanks for your reply! smile.gif

yeah i just wasn't sure how the avr handled the power but it looks like you just answered my question in saying that it provides more or less depending on the volume level?

my room is about 3000sq/ft i think

and i'm located in new haven, CT area about an hour and change from NYC

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #4 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If I could suggest that you spend the $1k on your front l/r speakers and then get the center and surrounds later. especially if you buy used you can get some pretty good deals.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #5 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Since you are interested in buying used try searching with this tool. Just enter your zip - how far you're willing to search (drive) - and category and it searches all the craigs lists out to your driving limit. You have some nice used Paradigm and B&W stuff near you.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

If I could suggest that you spend the $1k on your front l/r speakers and then get the center and surrounds later. especially if you buy used you can get some pretty good deals.

sure i'm all for suggestions! smile.gif

and my budget may be able to be extended by ~500 bucks or so if i sell my m audio dsm2 studio monitors w/c i'm not even using right now lol but i got them for such a steal its going to be hard parting w/ them haha

what speakers do you recommend if i went that route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Since you are interested in buying used try searching with this tool. Just enter your zip - how far you're willing to search (drive) - and category and it searches all the craigs lists out to your driving limit. You have some nice used Paradigm and B&W stuff near you.

oh wow i'll check out that link - sounds VERY helpful

to find my HSU subs i used "google alerts" which were fantastic but at this point in my search i'm not anywhere near making a decision

i'll probably end up getting whatever shows up for me in my search for a phenomenal deal rather than getting what i perceive as "best"

post #7 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 430
In the AVS classifieds, Polk RTia's in Cherry.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442103/polk-audi-rti8-cherry-pair

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link - looking for black themed speakers to match my room lol

post #9 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I know you're trying to get a "steal" for something used, but you can get the Ascend 340 l/c/r and 170 surrounds for a little over $1k. Those are going to be very hard to beat compared to commercial speakers with double the msrp.

post #10 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

I know you're trying to get a "steal" for something used, but you can get the Ascend 340 l/c/r and 170 surrounds for a little over $1k. Those are going to be very hard to beat compared to commercial speakers with double the msrp.

those are bookshelf style - i mean i "can" make that happen w/ my entertainment center but it wouldn't be ideal placement by any means and i'm not fond of stands - do you own those kind of speakers?

post #11 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Ascend has pedestal style stands that make them look like a tower speaker. Don't own them, but have heard them.

post #12 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Ascend has pedestal style stands that make them look like a tower speaker. Don't own them, but have heard them.

yeah i'd really like to avoid stands and also avoid buying speakers based on review only and not a demo - i got lucky w/ the monitors but i don't want to try my luck again lol

post #13 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

dali, monitor audio, focal, paradigm, psb, will all have tower speakers in your price range that i think would be good buys.

post #14 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well if you're basing it off of what's available locally used that you can demo, none of us can really recommend anything. It's all going to depend on what you have a chance to listen to and prefer.

post #15 of 46 Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

okay so i'm going to sell my m audio dsm2's so that will get me an additional 500 to 850 to add to the price just FYI

post #16 of 46 Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

so theres a KEF Q900 single speaker on ebay right now that ends in 3hrs or so that is only at 88$ w/ 65 shipping - should i go for it and hope another pops up? its a stupid low price for that speaker but the risk is finding a second

post #17 of 46 Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

so theres a KEF Q900 single speaker on ebay right now that ends in 3hrs or so that is only at 88$ w/ 65 shipping - should i go for it and hope another pops up? its a stupid low price for that speaker but the risk is finding a second

Doubt the bidding will end near that $88 but if you can get it for a low price you can order one new speaker and end up with a good buy. I don't believe when you buy new you have to buy in pairs.

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:

post #18 of 46 Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

looks like they're about 700 shipped for one speaker from accessories for less so i could get a pair for ~850 if i grab the one on ebay for cheap

hmm

post #19 of 46 Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

well forget the kef q900 it went for just over 300 shipped

post #20 of 46 Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Not surprised. That guy will buy a new one and still make out well.

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:

post #21 of 46 Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Not surprised. That guy will buy a new one and still make out well.

yeah i suppose only if he was planning on buying them new and willing to spend the money in the first place...

post #22 of 46 Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

i'll be demoing some speakers soon and will post back asap

if i don't like the caliber speakers i can get for a 5.1 setup for around 1k then i might just get two mains and get the rest of the system at a later point

post #23 of 46 Old 12-14-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

ok so i was able to demo several pairs of speakers today
paradigm monitor 9 $1200
paradigm studio 100 $1500
b&w 683 $3500
b&w 802 $15000
(prices all retail)

the experience was HIGHLY informative and really helped me in my quest for a great pair of speakers

now to my thoughts and experiences: all speakers were demo'd w/o a sub
i didn't really like the monitor 9s or the 683s much more than my polk monitor 70's - comparing new/retail prices they were most definitely NOT worth 3 times the price of my monitor70's. i did think the 683's were definitely better than the paradigm monitor 9's though. i figured i'd listen to the 802's for haha's but to my surprise the 802 diamonds were not to my taste - i just didn't really like the way they sounded. not bad but not for me. they were most certainly NOT 5 times better than the studio 100's which i LOVED. the studio 100's were effortless and accurate - not coloring the sound of the recording but giving it as it is - bringing out all the beautiful detail of the song in a way that the lesser speakers weren't able to do. i'm so glad i listened to these b/c they weren't even on my list b/c of the $3500 retail price tag!

I was VERY impressed!

because of this i've concluded that i want to dump ALL of my available money into just two stereo speakers and will add to the setup as i am able. if i go the original route of allocating my budget across all 5 speakers, I won't be able to get a good enough quality of speakers to my taste - i will just feel the need to upgrade them too soon! thats something that i want to avoid. considering that I can get the studio 100's used for around $1500 there's NO way that they are not a great option for me!

SO i am going to completely re-do my list of possibles for speakers and post back soon with it. my new criteria is a single stereo pair of speakers with a budget MAX of $2000 but preferably in the $1,500-1,700 range. I don't think I will be spending more than 1600 to be VERY happy with what I can get. again those studio 100's were SWEET - I just don't want to pull the trigger on them b/c i want to hear more speakers first.

Please comment with anything and everything - thanks!

justin

post #24 of 46 Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

in the $2k price range there are lots of choices, its a really crowded price range.
salk
ascend
aperion
focal
sonus faber
PSB
paradigm
dynaudio

post #25 of 46 Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

GOOD GRIEF why must there be SOO many speaker brands and models available - its literally the worst thing to shop for b/c there's so much money involved and there's no way to test out everything you want to hear. ugh lol

Anyways i was able to go to the best buy magnolia nearest my house and listened to the martin logan motion 40, electromotion esl, and b&w cm9.
i didn't really like any of them - they were just not good enough. not one of them impressed me at all.

suffice it to say i am not a b&w fan at all and i'm pretty sure i would like the higher offerings of martin logan based on listening to the lowest electrostatic they offer - the em esl.

So here's my revised list - I know its long but I have all the non ID offerings to demo save the studio 100's yet. So I'm far from making a choice lol

Possibles:
Paradigm Studio 100 $3500/ /$1475
Energy Veritas V-6.3 $3000/ /1050
Revel F206 $3000/ /
PSB Imagine T2
Monitor Audio Gold GX200 $ / /$1800
KEF R700 $ / /$1850
Focal Chorus 836v ($/$2550)/836w $4400/
comparable canton offering - so annoying can't find prices
comparable dynaudio offering - so annoying can't find prices either and their website sucks!
Axiom Audio M80 V3 (ID)
Pinnacle BD 2000 II $5000/ (used only) (ID)
Aperion Verus Grand (ID)
Ascend Sierra $1900/ (ID)
Salk Song Tower (ID)
Philharmonic 1 Tower (ID)
Atlantic Technology 8200e LR $3700/ (ID)

****Could any of you tell me (now that you have an idea of my taste) which speakers I can definitively cross off my list considering the only pair of speakers i've heard that i would buy were the paradigm studio 100's ? ?

My options are going to be also limited by availability - since I am buying on a budget, I am limited to what comes up on the used market. The quality of speaker I want I can not afford new (and I wouldn't ever buy new anyways other than possibly internet direct)

ALSO

I want HIGH SPL and I want to FEEL the music and not just HEAR it! SO does that mean that I want a speaker w/ more cones to move more air? I'm pretty sure thats it but please correct me if I am wrong.

For example - people RAVE about the salk song towers - they are only a 3 way design 2 woofers and 1 tweeter. My guess is that they sound good but won't be able to deliver a powerful performance SPL wise am i correct?

This answer will hopefully help me narrow down my choices as well

razzy

post #26 of 46 Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Liked: 12
Dont forget DefTech!!! Im a very recent convert to DefTech and LOVE them!! Check ol Newegg for a some killers deals on the sm350/450! Should be able to get you an entire setup for around your $1k budget with a little digging!biggrin.gif

Samsung 51" Plasma E530, Pioneer SC-1222-K, Sony BDP-S5200, Roku 3, Custom HTPC/XBMC, KEF Q600c -center, KEF Q900- mains, Definitive Technology SM450- side surrounds, Definitive Technology SM350- rear surrounds, Custom sub 'end table' with 12" Oz Audio Matrix Elite, Crown XLS 1500 sub amp, Harmony 650 and IRule remotes
post #27 of 46 Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratified View Post

Dont forget DefTech!!! Im a very recent convert to DefTech and LOVE them!! Check ol Newegg for a some killers deals on the sm350/450! Should be able to get you an entire setup for around your $1k budget with a little digging!biggrin.gif

thanks for your post but i ruled them out b/c i don't need their built in subs which are in all of their high end offerings

post #28 of 46 Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Liked: 12
How about the BP10B for floor standers or the Studio Monitor series of bookshelf speakers? Those dont have powered subs.

Samsung 51" Plasma E530, Pioneer SC-1222-K, Sony BDP-S5200, Roku 3, Custom HTPC/XBMC, KEF Q600c -center, KEF Q900- mains, Definitive Technology SM450- side surrounds, Definitive Technology SM350- rear surrounds, Custom sub 'end table' with 12" Oz Audio Matrix Elite, Crown XLS 1500 sub amp, Harmony 650 and IRule remotes
post #29 of 46 Old 12-22-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratified View Post

How about the BP10B for floor standers or the Studio Monitor series of bookshelf speakers? Those dont have powered subs.

yeah i was considering them before i made the choice to put all my $$ into just two main speakers and add the rest later. the caliber of speakers i could get on my budget spread across a 5 speaker system was not good enough for me so i'm going the slow addition route - i'd prefer getting two great main speakers for now and adding along the way versus mediocre speakers all around immediately

post #30 of 46 Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

regarding post #25 in your price range-ish for Dynaudio speakers

DM3/7s $1995
excite x32s $3000
excite X36s $3600
Focus 160s $2900
Focus 260s $4900
Contour S1.4 $3600

yes, there are 2 bookshelf recomendations there, because the bookshelfs have bass. real bass. Just wait until you hear them.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page