Surround Bar or Satellite Speaker (L, R, C + Sub) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

I'm debating (and open to suggestions) between getting the Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-SSA3 soundbar
or Polk Audio Blackstone TL250's. These will be replacing older Polk Audio satellite speakers. I have a Polk sub.

For the time being, I only intend on using the Front Left, Right, Center and Sub. I may or may not add two surround speakers in the future.

The speakers will sit on a credenza for now. At some point I'm mounting my TV and assume the soundbar would look better than three satellite speakers.

Would the soundbar sound better or at least as good as having the polk set up with the back speakers?

I'm trying to stay under $800. I know polk has a non powered soundbar but not sure if the Polk Audio Soundbar 400 is better than the Mythos mentioned above? I do like the fact the polks give you the option to use LCR mode or 5 channel mode (not sure I would use the fake surround mode).

Thanks in advance, appreciate any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked: 11
For starters, does that $800 include a potential receiver? Do you think at any point in the future you would want to upgrade to bookshelf/floor-standing speakers and center channel in the future (if you have the room of course)? I ask because with my limited experience with sound-bars, I suggest to stay away from them and go for separate speakers. That is just my opinion and I don't intend to say that all sound-bars are terrible, that's just my two cents. You are able to get polk monitor 60's and a polk CS2 center at new egg for 350 then get a receiver and I would venture to say that would sound better than the sound bar. Again, that is just my opinion/suggestion and if you dont have room for the floor-standers, I understand that.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your reply. The $800 is just for the speakers. I prefer to be under, rather than over $800.

I was looking at getting a new Denon or Yamaha receiver. Something in the $500 to 600 range. I currently have a Sony Receiver that is 3 years old. Still works, but times have changed in regards to wanting a receiver with wi-fi, siriusxm and simply better sound. However, I don't really need a receiver right this moment although I know mine is a little lacking.

I have room for floor standing speakers, but I'm trying to get away from clutter and keep things somewhat simple. However, I don't want crap sound so I'm not totally closed minded to other set ups. I'm also looking towards what changes (wall mount tv) I know we will make in the future since we just bought a house.

I'm not so worried about the rear speakers and may never add them back. If I do they would be ceiling speakers.

I was talking to a rep at Crutchfield. They are the ones who mentioned that particular sound bar may sound better or at least as good as satellite speakers without the surround sound. Something along the lines of more mids and highs. I figured I would double check before buying anything smile.gif

Thanks!
post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 370
I would also, take a look at Acoustic Energy
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ACENAEGOPACK/ACOUSTIC-ENERGY-AEGO-AE12-5.1-Home-Theater-Speaker-Package-Gloss-Black/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXTERITY77 View Post

thanks for your reply. The $800 is just for the speakers. I prefer to be under, rather than over $800.
I was looking at getting a new Denon or Yamaha receiver. Something in the $500 to 600 range. I currently have a Sony Receiver that is 3 years old. Still works, but times have changed in regards to wanting a receiver with wi-fi, siriusxm and simply better sound. However, I don't really need a receiver right this moment although I know mine is a little lacking.
I have room for floor standing speakers, but I'm trying to get away from clutter and keep things somewhat simple. However, I don't want crap sound so I'm not totally closed minded to other set ups. I'm also looking towards what changes (wall mount tv) I know we will make in the future since we just bought a house.
I'm not so worried about the rear speakers and may never add them back. If I do they would be ceiling speakers.
I was talking to a rep at Crutchfield. They are the ones who mentioned that particular sound bar may sound better or at least as good as satellite speakers without the surround sound. Something along the lines of more mids and highs. I figured I would double check before buying anything smile.gif
Thanks!

No problem. If your budget for speakers is $800 without a receiver, then you could get quite a nice setup for that price or maybe even under that, which would really kick the sound-bars tail sound-wise (again my opinion). And given the fact that you are not looking for the surrounds at this point, you could get a good 3.1 system at that price point. I would also suggest a system from Hsu Research here: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value1pkg.html. I have not heard the speakers but I do own a Hsu subwoofer and i think it is the king in my system. I have heard some great things about their speakers as well so if they are anything like the subwoofers, then I don't think you would be disappointed. I just thought I would add another suggestion to the Polk and the Acoustic Energy from before. Good luck in your search.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiTcHaSuM View Post

No problem. If your budget for speakers is $800 without a receiver, then you could get quite a nice setup for that price or maybe even under that, which would really kick the sound-bars tail sound-wise (again my opinion). And given the fact that you are not looking for the surrounds at this point, you could get a good 3.1 system at that price point. I would also suggest a system from Hsu Research here: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/value1pkg.html. I have not heard the speakers but I do own a Hsu subwoofer and i think it is the king in my system. I have heard some great things about their speakers as well so if they are anything like the subwoofers, then I don't think you would be disappointed. I just thought I would add another suggestion to the Polk and the Acoustic Energy from before. Good luck in your search.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. I will take a look at the HSU as well.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page