Definitive Technology - RCS II's and RSS II's. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm looking for anyone who have installed the RCS II's and RSS II's in their house for a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system. If so, can you please comment on your setup and performance of these speakers. I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm installing three RCS II's for my front L, R and C speakers and four RSS II's for my side and rear speakers along with a JL Audio Fathom F112 Subwoofer.

Integra DHC-80.3
Integra DTA-70.1
Integra DBS-50.3 or OPPO BDP-105

Thanks in advance and have a safe holiday season. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn47 View Post

I'm looking for anyone who have installed the RCS II's and RSS II's in their house for a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system. If so, can you please comment on your setup and performance of these speakers. I'd greatly appreciate it.
I'm installing three RCS II's for my front L, R and C speakers and four RSS II's for my side and rear speakers along with a JL Audio Fathom F112 Subwoofer.
Integra DHC-80.3
Integra DTA-70.1
Integra DBS-50.3 or OPPO BDP-105
Thanks in advance and have a safe holiday season. smile.gif

I have the RLS II speakers for mains and RSS III speakers for surrounds and have been extremely happy with them. I have owned lots of speakers and these are my favorites for home theater.

That said, you may want to consider RCS series for rear surrounds (RSS are good for side surrounds).
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

My new micro theater room with Definitive Technology RCS II's and RSS II's installed.

I ran the Audyssey in my pre-amp and the speakers sound fantastic with a 6 speaker calibration. Though I will be having a professional calibrator visiting my house on June 18th to re-calibrate everything. And my RCS II's do sound like floor speakers. Virtually amazing.

Descriptions of my photos in order:

Just started to cut out my speaker openings for the RCS II's. The front wall will be removed and rebuilt making it more secure and it will also be widen. It's a false wall.

My three RCS II front L, C & R speaker cut-outs.

My three RSS II left front, side and back speaker cut-outs.

My false wall removed.

The inside of my closet with wall removed.

The completed framing of the area where my TV and cabinet will be mounted.

Inside closet view of my newly supportive wall.

Dry walling my wall.

Inside closet view of my finished wall.

Temporary mounting of my TV Bracket for measurement purposes. It will be lowered four inches.

My solid Cherry Wood bottom wall unit. All 1-3/4" thick wood except for bottom and top which is two inches thick of solid Cherry.

Cabinet has a one inch solid peace of Corian that has a marble look to it. Where the TV goes will be one inch plywood and then a quarter inch of Cherry Wood panel will go on the front. My cat is a ham for pictures. LOL.

Sorel color of Corian. One inch thick.

The finished product. Though the room is really bright, the Cherry wood is a little darker. The two doors of left have a dark yellowish tint to it.

This is what the in-ceiling speakers look like. Very clean and sleek looking.

The back of my room.

My closet and some of my wiring.

My components with adjustable shelves that can be locked in place so they don't move if you pull out or push in the components. All components have felt installed on feet to protect the Cherry Wood from scuffing.

Removable doors in closet to access the rear of my components. There screwed into the framing.

Some of my wiring before I re-route everything and clean it up better.

This is what the Definitive Technology RCS II look like. These will be my front Left, Right & Center Speakers. All speakers are angled and aimed towards the viewer.

My Front Center Speaker. These speakers are very illus ional as this system sounds like it has standing tower speakers when in reality you don't. These are very unusual ceiling speakers that really sound great and will amaze you.

What my surround side and back speakers look like. Definitive Technology RSS II.

My right side bi-directional speaker with metal cover off.

My room diameter is 9'- 4" wide and 14' long. It's a small room and sits three people in it comfortably. This is kind of like my own man cave so to speak. I've tested my system with it's built-in Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 with six room positions and it did a pretty good job calibrating everything. Though I will be having Jeff Meyer: http://www.accucalhd.com/index.htm come in from Missouri to do a custom Plasma and Audio calibration to tweak my system even more. My system is very unorthodox when it comes to speaker placement but the 7.1 surround really sounds amazing. It's very hard to believe that these ceiling speakers can actually sound like as if you had tower speakers all around you. I can't explain it. It's magical. Here's a link to the website that you can read about the exact Definitive Technology Speaker setup I read and used for my room. After reading this review, I decided to go out on a limb and take a chance. And it has really paid-off for me.

http://www.avguide.com/review/definitive-technology-uiw-rcs-ii-ceiling-speaker

I tested my 7.1 system with the movies Thor and Toy Story 3 and the details of the 7.1 really came through excellently. I was surprised on how much details my setup produced. I can't explain it, you'll have to experience it for yourself. I'm sure many people will have doubts about this speaker setup and the positions of the speakers. But for a small room that use to have a 5.1 PSB setup and now a 7.1 Def. Tech. setup, it seems to work perfectly. A very skeptical, unorthodox 7.1 movie theater setup that breaks all the boundary's and myths towards ceiling or in-wall speaker setups.

My system consists of:
Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT50
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blue-Ray
Integra DHC-80.3 Pre-amp
Integra DTA-70.1 9.2 channel amp
Pioneer LX-70 DVR/DVD recorder. (Region Free)
An old RCA VCR ( I know I fail )
Comcast/Xfinity DVR and 3D Capable cable box
JL Audio Fathom F112 Subwoofer
Definitive Technology RCS II - Front Left, Right and Center Speakers
Definitive Technology RSS II - Left and Right, Side and Back speakers
APC S20JBLK surge protector with battery back-up
I have two SurgeX SA20 surge protectors behind my components. Each on it's own dedicated 20 amp outlet. Both outlets are on the same main line.
All my HDMI cables are from Blue Jean Cables and consist of the FE Series.
All my audio connects are from Blue Jean Cables which are balanced and are Belden 1800F Series.
I'm have not encountered any hum in any of my components.
My air filtration system is by Cool Components, Inc.

The only component that gets hot to the touch is the Integra DHC-80.3. It will consist of two exhaust fans mounted on the top of the vents to force the heat out the back and into my closet. All other components seem to stay very cool, even the amp with eight plus hours of heavy usage. Please don't ask what I paid for my movie theater as you can buy a new car for what I spent. But hey, you only live once and it's my man cave. I hope you've enjoyed my post and photos. I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Have a blessed summer.smile.gif
post #4 of 9 Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I don't think there was any reason to pay a professional to calibrate your system. Just rerun Audyssey and your good to go.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's been One year now since I've been using my RCS II's and RSS II's for a 5.1 setup and all is still going good. Last night I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and at setting the volume level at 70db, the gun and canon battles were fantastic. Surround sound is still top notch for my room acoustics and setup. My JL Phantom 12" Sub did a good job pounding out the explosions with superb accuracy.smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn47 View Post
Well it's been One year now since I've been using my RCS II's and RSS II's for a 5.1 setup and all is still going good. Last night I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and at setting the volume level at 70db, the gun and canon battles were fantastic. Surround sound is still top notch for my room acoustics and setup. My JL Phantom 12" Sub did a good job pounding out the explosions with superb accuracy.
How do you find these speakers for music? I am like to install the same configuration. Also what sub did you go for?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

The speakers are pretty good with music but tend to be a bit bright at times. Without a subwoofer, much more bright. The speakers do a good job with music but their bass isn't really that good when it comes to rap or hard rock music types. For classical, the speakers do a good job.

Now with a good, powerful subwoofer, it really improves the sound quality a lot. Though with a subwoofer, the speakers do sound a little bit bright in some musical genere.

I'm using a JL Audio Phantom F112 sub myself. My system was more designed for movies than music playback. But I do listen to music a lot but more in a 5.1 surround setup instead of a two channel setup.

I hope this helps you out. Have a great summer.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Do you find the IIs to be overpowering for your room size. I'm leaning toward the IIIs as I'd be using them strictly for surrounds and will only be 4.5-5.5' away from them. Part of me worries that the IIIs would be too small however. My last set of surround speakers had a 6.5" woofer/midrange driver so 3.5" seems quite small to me.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)

Last edited by blipszyc; 06-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

No, I don't feel that the II's are over-powering. Though I'm sitting about 11 feet from them. The III's are a little smaller and may decrease the amount of sound you need for your movie sound tracks. Just lower the volume on them. My hearing is going bad so I'm usually adjusting the volume between 68 and 70 db.
Reply Speakers