Definitive Technology - RCS II's and RSS II's. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 23 Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm looking for anyone who have installed the RCS II's and RSS II's in their house for a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system. If so, can you please comment on your setup and performance of these speakers. I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm installing three RCS II's for my front L, R and C speakers and four RSS II's for my side and rear speakers along with a JL Audio Fathom F112 Subwoofer.

Integra DHC-80.3
Integra DTA-70.1
Integra DBS-50.3 or OPPO BDP-105

Thanks in advance and have a safe holiday season. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn47 View Post

I'm looking for anyone who have installed the RCS II's and RSS II's in their house for a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system. If so, can you please comment on your setup and performance of these speakers. I'd greatly appreciate it.
I'm installing three RCS II's for my front L, R and C speakers and four RSS II's for my side and rear speakers along with a JL Audio Fathom F112 Subwoofer.
Integra DHC-80.3
Integra DTA-70.1
Integra DBS-50.3 or OPPO BDP-105
Thanks in advance and have a safe holiday season. smile.gif

I have the RLS II speakers for mains and RSS III speakers for surrounds and have been extremely happy with them. I have owned lots of speakers and these are my favorites for home theater.

That said, you may want to consider RCS series for rear surrounds (RSS are good for side surrounds).
post #3 of 23 Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

My new micro theater room with Definitive Technology RCS II's and RSS II's installed.

I ran the Audyssey in my pre-amp and the speakers sound fantastic with a 6 speaker calibration. Though I will be having a professional calibrator visiting my house on June 18th to re-calibrate everything. And my RCS II's do sound like floor speakers. Virtually amazing.

Descriptions of my photos in order:

Just started to cut out my speaker openings for the RCS II's. The front wall will be removed and rebuilt making it more secure and it will also be widen. It's a false wall.

My three RCS II front L, C & R speaker cut-outs.

My three RSS II left front, side and back speaker cut-outs.

My false wall removed.

The inside of my closet with wall removed.

The completed framing of the area where my TV and cabinet will be mounted.

Inside closet view of my newly supportive wall.

Dry walling my wall.

Inside closet view of my finished wall.

Temporary mounting of my TV Bracket for measurement purposes. It will be lowered four inches.

My solid Cherry Wood bottom wall unit. All 1-3/4" thick wood except for bottom and top which is two inches thick of solid Cherry.

Cabinet has a one inch solid peace of Corian that has a marble look to it. Where the TV goes will be one inch plywood and then a quarter inch of Cherry Wood panel will go on the front. My cat is a ham for pictures. LOL.

Sorel color of Corian. One inch thick.

The finished product. Though the room is really bright, the Cherry wood is a little darker. The two doors of left have a dark yellowish tint to it.

This is what the in-ceiling speakers look like. Very clean and sleek looking.

The back of my room.

My closet and some of my wiring.

My components with adjustable shelves that can be locked in place so they don't move if you pull out or push in the components. All components have felt installed on feet to protect the Cherry Wood from scuffing.

Removable doors in closet to access the rear of my components. There screwed into the framing.

Some of my wiring before I re-route everything and clean it up better.

This is what the Definitive Technology RCS II look like. These will be my front Left, Right & Center Speakers. All speakers are angled and aimed towards the viewer.

My Front Center Speaker. These speakers are very illus ional as this system sounds like it has standing tower speakers when in reality you don't. These are very unusual ceiling speakers that really sound great and will amaze you.

What my surround side and back speakers look like. Definitive Technology RSS II.

My right side bi-directional speaker with metal cover off.

My room diameter is 9'- 4" wide and 14' long. It's a small room and sits three people in it comfortably. This is kind of like my own man cave so to speak. I've tested my system with it's built-in Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 with six room positions and it did a pretty good job calibrating everything. Though I will be having Jeff Meyer: http://www.accucalhd.com/index.htm come in from Missouri to do a custom Plasma and Audio calibration to tweak my system even more. My system is very unorthodox when it comes to speaker placement but the 7.1 surround really sounds amazing. It's very hard to believe that these ceiling speakers can actually sound like as if you had tower speakers all around you. I can't explain it. It's magical. Here's a link to the website that you can read about the exact Definitive Technology Speaker setup I read and used for my room. After reading this review, I decided to go out on a limb and take a chance. And it has really paid-off for me.

http://www.avguide.com/review/definitive-technology-uiw-rcs-ii-ceiling-speaker

I tested my 7.1 system with the movies Thor and Toy Story 3 and the details of the 7.1 really came through excellently. I was surprised on how much details my setup produced. I can't explain it, you'll have to experience it for yourself. I'm sure many people will have doubts about this speaker setup and the positions of the speakers. But for a small room that use to have a 5.1 PSB setup and now a 7.1 Def. Tech. setup, it seems to work perfectly. A very skeptical, unorthodox 7.1 movie theater setup that breaks all the boundary's and myths towards ceiling or in-wall speaker setups.

My system consists of:
Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT50
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blue-Ray
Integra DHC-80.3 Pre-amp
Integra DTA-70.1 9.2 channel amp
Pioneer LX-70 DVR/DVD recorder. (Region Free)
An old RCA VCR ( I know I fail )
Comcast/Xfinity DVR and 3D Capable cable box
JL Audio Fathom F112 Subwoofer
Definitive Technology RCS II - Front Left, Right and Center Speakers
Definitive Technology RSS II - Left and Right, Side and Back speakers
APC S20JBLK surge protector with battery back-up
I have two SurgeX SA20 surge protectors behind my components. Each on it's own dedicated 20 amp outlet. Both outlets are on the same main line.
All my HDMI cables are from Blue Jean Cables and consist of the FE Series.
All my audio connects are from Blue Jean Cables which are balanced and are Belden 1800F Series.
I'm have not encountered any hum in any of my components.
My air filtration system is by Cool Components, Inc.

The only component that gets hot to the touch is the Integra DHC-80.3. It will consist of two exhaust fans mounted on the top of the vents to force the heat out the back and into my closet. All other components seem to stay very cool, even the amp with eight plus hours of heavy usage. Please don't ask what I paid for my movie theater as you can buy a new car for what I spent. But hey, you only live once and it's my man cave. I hope you've enjoyed my post and photos. I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Have a blessed summer.smile.gif
post #4 of 23 Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't think there was any reason to pay a professional to calibrate your system. Just rerun Audyssey and your good to go.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's been One year now since I've been using my RCS II's and RSS II's for a 5.1 setup and all is still going good. Last night I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and at setting the volume level at 70db, the gun and canon battles were fantastic. Surround sound is still top notch for my room acoustics and setup. My JL Phantom 12" Sub did a good job pounding out the explosions with superb accuracy.smile.gif
post #6 of 23 Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarjohn47 View Post
Well it's been One year now since I've been using my RCS II's and RSS II's for a 5.1 setup and all is still going good. Last night I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and at setting the volume level at 70db, the gun and canon battles were fantastic. Surround sound is still top notch for my room acoustics and setup. My JL Phantom 12" Sub did a good job pounding out the explosions with superb accuracy.
How do you find these speakers for music? I am like to install the same configuration. Also what sub did you go for?
post #7 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

The speakers are pretty good with music but tend to be a bit bright at times. Without a subwoofer, much more bright. The speakers do a good job with music but their bass isn't really that good when it comes to rap or hard rock music types. For classical, the speakers do a good job.

Now with a good, powerful subwoofer, it really improves the sound quality a lot. Though with a subwoofer, the speakers do sound a little bit bright in some musical genere.

I'm using a JL Audio Phantom F112 sub myself. My system was more designed for movies than music playback. But I do listen to music a lot but more in a 5.1 surround setup instead of a two channel setup.

I hope this helps you out. Have a great summer.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Do you find the IIs to be overpowering for your room size. I'm leaning toward the IIIs as I'd be using them strictly for surrounds and will only be 4.5-5.5' away from them. Part of me worries that the IIIs would be too small however. My last set of surround speakers had a 6.5" woofer/midrange driver so 3.5" seems quite small to me.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)

Last edited by blipszyc; 06-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

No, I don't feel that the II's are over-powering. Though I'm sitting about 11 feet from them. The III's are a little smaller and may decrease the amount of sound you need for your movie sound tracks. Just lower the volume on them. My hearing is going bad so I'm usually adjusting the volume between 68 and 70 db.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room is small, but you don't have any imaging problems with the TV so offset from the center channel?
post #11 of 23 Old 07-12-2015, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

No, I haven't experienced any imaging problems. These speaker are amazing. Very illusional sounding. You swear there were tower speakers in front of you. You can't tell that the sound is coming from the ceilings. What an amazing concept of a ceiling speaker.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-01-2016, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey I just finished reading all the posts and I'm very interested in knowing how are you liking your setup 6 months later? I have been considering doing the SLM Martin Logan's up front and doing the RSS II for my rears. However, after looking at your setup and knowing that you're 11 feet from the Front LCR, I wanted to know your thoughts for doing this and sitting about 19 feet away? I thought of using these and putting a pair of DI 8R for my left and right surround. The setup I would use would be:

Front LCR - UIW RCS II
RL Surround - DI 8R
Rear LR - UIW RSS II
SUB - Definitive Supercube 4000
Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR 3700
Projector - Epson 5030ub
Screen - 120" Elite Screens CineTension2

Doing in ceiling would allow me to go with a larger screen that isn't acoustically transparent.

I'd love to get your feedback on this.

Thanks!
post #13 of 23 Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
No, I haven't experienced any imaging problems. These speaker are amazing. Very illusional sounding. You swear there were tower speakers in front of you. You can't tell that the sound is coming from the ceilings. What an amazing concept of a ceiling speaker.
Hey I just finished reading all the posts and I'm very interested in knowing how are you liking your setup 6 months later? I have been considering doing the SLM Martin Logan's up front and doing the RSS II for my rears. However, after looking at your setup and knowing that you're 11 feet from the Front LCR, I wanted to know your thoughts for doing this and sitting about 19 feet away? I thought of using these and putting a pair of DI 8R for my left and right surround. The setup I would use would be:

Front LCR - UIW RCS II
RL Surround - DI 8R
Rear LR - UIW RSS II
Projector - Epson 5030ub

Doing in ceiling would allow me to go with a larger screen that isn't acoustically transparent.

Thanks!
post #14 of 23 Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpasha2 View Post

Front LCR - UIW RCS II
RL Surround - DI 8R
Rear LR - UIW RSS II
Projector - Epson 5030ub

Thanks!
Hello there.

This June will mark 3 years since I had my system. Even though I created a 7.1 installation which sounded good to me, I am still running my system in a 5.1 configuration as that's how the calibrater configured my setup. According to him, he mentioned that a 7.1 setup was so very minimal than a 5.1 setup, that a 7.1 is a split in frequencies from a true 5.1 setup. But I may recalibrate my system again on my own to bring in the 7.1 setup back into the loop as this was my intentions from the very start. Also, paying $600 to have my system calibrated with a professional and seeing my calibration graphs compared to his graphs, he told me they were almost equal except for a few variances in frequencies. I used my built in Audyssey in my pre-amp to do the room calibration. So I guess a 7.1 calibration would suffice for me and I will save the $600 cost. But one thing good I got from the calibration was my rooms accoustics and that I didn't need any sound dampening panels which I would have purchased foolishly if I didn't go with a professional calibrater.

Here's a tip that might help you out. If your receiver uses the Audyssey Calibration Technology, you'll need to calibrate at least 5 different locations as Audyssey will not work properly under 5 locations. I did 6 positions to be safe. The more the better depending on space. Always start the first position in the middle of your seating arrangement. Then number 2 would start at the left of your seating position 1. And the 3rd to the right of the number 1's seating position. You should follow that frequency to at least 6 positions.

I can't stress enough how incredible it still sounds. Even the professional calibrater; Jeff Meyer, can't believe how great they sound. My speaker setup was the first he'd ever calibrated. When he saw my setup, he shook his head and told me that he wishes that I had spoken to him first before purchasing these speakers. He also mentioned at that time I should have went with Trident in-ceiling speakers instead. At that time, I never heard of Trident Speakers, but I'm glad I went with Definitive. After he calibrated my system, he told me that he was amazed at the sound accuracy and content creation and took back everything he said bad about an in-ceiling speaker setup as well as putting down Definitive Speakers. He didn't say he hated the company, but feels that Trident is a better speaker company. He was astonished! He brought some sample videos to test the accuracy of the sound. Star Wars 3, a fighter scene and Honey, I Shrunk The Kids & Toy Story - 3D Version since I also had my Plasma calibrated. Also a few Jazz CD's. He was very impressed with the movie surround sound as well as I and said that he will start recommending my setup to others that need a small room configuration. It was an incredible experience hearing the fighter ships passing over my head and into the t.v. I felt I was right there in the action. Totally mind boggling. He was also impressed with his music selection without the sub being on. But Jazz really doesn't need a sub as does rap and heavy metal.

As for now, I'm still astonished at the surround realism my system is creating. All my movie DVD's and Blu-Ray collections still rock my world like you wouldn't believe. The sound still pulls me into the movie and when the characters talk, you would swear that their voices are coming from the center of the screen and not the ceiling. I'm so amazed that I wish I could demonstrate my system to all those who are interested in my speaker models and let them resolve their doubts and see what there missing.

Now you have to understand that nothing will replace the true sound realism from a floor standing speaker setup. But with space restrictions like mine, it makes perfect sense and works.

However I did choose 12 AWG wire for my speaker runs, but 14 AWG would have sufficed. I read somewhere that the thicker the gauge wire will create a more fuller sound compared to 14 gauge wire. But 12 AWG will require a more beefer amp to push the signals through better. Whereas 14 gauge wire runs can use a smaller size amp. Though I wouldn't go less than 14 gauge cause distance will matter between your speakers and audio equipment. If your wire runs are longer than 25 feet from the rears to the front, than I would recommend 12 gauge. Also another note, each wire run should be equal in length within 2 to 3 feet of each other for a more accurate and even balanced sound. For example, my rear speakers are 26 feet from my pre-amp. So I had to make my sides, fronts and center speaker wire runs also 26 feet long as well. I know it doesn't make sense since the distance from my center speaker is 7 feet to the amp. But look at it in a true electrical perspective. In reality, the distance electricity travels or flows through various wire thicknesses will create resistance and power levels will drop. Ask any electrical engineer or physist. And you are pushing an electrical current from your amp to your speakers. So the relations and/or sound effects will be reduced and equal to the longest wire. So, if all wires are equal in length within 2 to 3 feet of leeway allowed, the sound will be more balanced through all the speakers. But you be the judge. To some of us audiophiles, this is a big thing. To others, it may be a waste of time and money. To each his own I say. Whatever helps you sleep at night and gives you peace of mind, than that's the route you should take. Just my 2 cents.

I would like to say that I'm happy that I chose a 1500 watt, self-powered subwoofer compared to my previous sound setups of 80 and 100 watt subs. That 1500 watt sub really makes a difference in sound quality and details. And on another note: many of my HD Channels broadcast in 5.1 or "Surround Sound" and it sounds so fantastic through my speaker setup. Although the movies on my discs have much better bass response. At times, I wish I had purchased a 13" sub instead of my 12". I had the room and money for it. But I'm still very impressed with my system setup.

So your using a projetor for your setup? Sweet! I love my Plasma and the Blu-Rays detail look so impressive. When it's time to replace my Plasma; hopefully in 10+ years from now, I was thinking on either going with another 4k, 5k, LCD, LED, whichever is the latest thing on the market or a projection. Though I've heard a 3 lens system is a much better option to go with, but the bulbs should be replaced every 150 hours, which can be a pain in the butt at times. But who knows. We'll see. That's way down the road for me. LOL.

I hope I was able to answer your questions and help you with your decision making. It was enjoyable expressing my thoughts on the performance I'm still experiencing with my system. I wish you much luck with your decision and setup. And I hope you can achieve the same experiences I'm receiving or better. Take care and have a great, safe and healthy New Year.

P.S. So sorry, getting back to your question after re-reading what you want to achieve. Those Logan speakers would be a great choice as they are more directed towards the user. Though I wouldn't know how they would sync with the definitive ceiling center speaker. Subs don't matter in a setup, but all the other speakers do to a certain degree that may be minimal. I'd make sure all the speakers are set to 80hz first and let the sub handle all the frequencies below 80hz. And on a different note, 90% of your movie sounds will come from the front and center speakers. The sides and rears are very minimal in sound and are hardly used most of the time. Even in a 5 or 7 speaker setup. So those Martin speakers should really rock. If I had more room in my system, I probably would have went with those Martin Speakers for my fronts, but would also go, with a Martin center speaker mounted on the wall right below the t.v.

Also, your sub choice is excellant as well if it's not contained in a cabinet enclosure like my setup. But I would recommend a much larger speaker than 8". The 1500 watt power is perfect, but going for 10" or 12" would make a big difference in your basses reproduction of details and clarity at lower volume levels. Also, it's a fallacy to a certain degree that the larger the subs speaker, the louder it will be. Within the movie viewing realm, articulation and details are so very much important. And a larger speaker will make a noticeable difference in your sound quality, accuracy reproduction and movie experience. If your on a budjet, that's understandable. But I would wait to gather more finances and shoot for a larger sub speaker diameter. I'd hate for you to make a wrong choice. I wouldn't go less than 10" no matter how big or small the room is. I'd highly recommend a 12". You won't regret it. I wish you well again and wish you luck on your decision.

Last edited by Cigarjohn47; 02-01-2016 at 05:47 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hello there.

This June will mark 3 years since I had my system. Even though I created a 7.1 installation which sounded good to me, I am still running my system in a 5.1 configuration as that's how the calibrater configured my setup. According to him, he mentioned that a 7.1 setup was so very minimal than a 5.1 setup, that a 7.1 is a split in frequencies from a true 5.1 setup. But I may recalibrate my system again on my own to bring in the 7.1 setup back into the loop as this was my intentions from the very start. Also, paying $600 to have my system calibrated with a professional and seeing my calibration graphs compared to his graphs, he told me they were almost equal except for a few variances in frequencies. I used my built in Audyssey in my pre-amp to do the room calibration. So I guess a 7.1 calibration would suffice for me and I will save the $600 cost. But one thing good I got from the calibration was my rooms accoustics and that I didn't need any sound dampening panels which I would have purchased foolishly if I didn't go with a professional calibrater.

Here's a tip that might help you out. If your receiver uses the Audyssey Calibration Technology, you'll need to calibrate at least 5 different locations as Audyssey will not work properly under 5 locations. I did 6 positions to be safe. The more the better depending on space. Always start the first position in the middle of your seating arrangement. Then number 2 would start at the left of your seating position 1. And the 3rd to the right of the number 1's seating position. You should follow that frequency to at least 6 positions.

I can't stress enough how incredible it still sounds. Even the professional calibrater; Jeff Meyer, can't believe how great they sound. My speaker setup was the first he'd ever calibrated. When he saw my setup, he shook his head and told me that he wishes that I had spoken to him first before purchasing these speakers. He also mentioned at that time I should have went with Trident in-ceiling speakers instead. At that time, I never heard of Trident Speakers, but I'm glad I went with Definitive. After he calibrated my system, he told me that he was amazed at the sound accuracy and content creation and took back everything he said bad about an in-ceiling speaker setup as well as putting down Definitive Speakers. He didn't say he hated the company, but feels that Trident is a better speaker company. He was astonished! He brought some sample videos to test the accuracy of the sound. Star Wars 3, a fighter scene and Honey, I Shrunk The Kids & Toy Story - 3D Version since I also had my Plasma calibrated. Also a few Jazz CD's. He was very impressed with the movie surround sound as well as I and said that he will start recommending my setup to others that need a small room configuration. It was an incredible experience hearing the fighter ships passing over my head and into the t.v. I felt I was right there in the action. Totally mind boggling. He was also impressed with his music selection without the sub being on. But Jazz really doesn't need a sub as does rap and heavy metal.

As for now, I'm still astonished at the surround realism my system is creating. All my movie DVD's and Blu-Ray collections still rock my world like you wouldn't believe. The sound still pulls me into the movie and when the characters talk, you would swear that their voices are coming from the center of the screen and not the ceiling. I'm so amazed that I wish I could demonstrate my system to all those who are interested in my speaker models and let them resolve their doubts and see what there missing.

Now you have to understand that nothing will replace the true sound realism from a floor standing speaker setup. But with space restrictions like mine, it makes perfect sense and works.

However I did choose 12 AWG wire for my speaker runs, but 14 AWG would have sufficed. I read somewhere that the thicker the gauge wire will create a more fuller sound compared to 14 gauge wire. But 12 AWG will require a more beefer amp to push the signals through better. Whereas 14 gauge wire runs can use a smaller size amp. Though I wouldn't go less than 14 gauge cause distance will matter between your speakers and audio equipment. If your wire runs are longer than 25 feet from the rears to the front, than I would recommend 12 gauge. Also another note, each wire run should be equal in length within 2 to 3 feet of each other for a more accurate and even balanced sound. For example, my rear speakers are 26 feet from my pre-amp. So I had to make my sides, fronts and center speaker wire runs also 26 feet long as well. I know it doesn't make sense since the distance from my center speaker is 7 feet to the amp. But look at it in a true electrical perspective. In reality, the distance electricity travels or flows through various wire thicknesses will create resistance and power levels will drop. Ask any electrical engineer or physist. And you are pushing an electrical current from your amp to your speakers. So the relations and/or sound effects will be reduced and equal to the longest wire. So, if all wires are equal in length within 2 to 3 feet of leeway allowed, the sound will be more balanced through all the speakers. But you be the judge. To some of us audiophiles, this is a big thing. To others, it may be a waste of time and money. To each his own I say. Whatever helps you sleep at night and gives you peace of mind, than that's the route you should take. Just my 2 cents.

I would like to say that I'm happy that I chose a 1500 watt, self-powered subwoofer compared to my previous sound setups of 80 and 100 watt subs. That 1500 watt sub really makes a difference in sound quality and details. And on another note: many of my HD Channels broadcast in 5.1 or "Surround Sound" and it sounds so fantastic through my speaker setup. Although the movies on my discs have much better bass response. At times, I wish I had purchased a 13" sub instead of my 12". I had the room and money for it. But I'm still very impressed with my system setup.

So your using a projetor for your setup? Sweet! I love my Plasma and the Blu-Rays detail look so impressive. When it's time to replace my Plasma; hopefully in 10+ years from now, I was thinking on either going with another 4k, 5k, LCD, LED, whichever is the latest thing on the market or a projection. Though I've heard a 3 lens system is a much better option to go with, but the bulbs should be replaced every 150 hours, which can be a pain in the butt at times. But who knows. We'll see. That's way down the road for me. LOL.

I hope I was able to answer your questions and help you with your decision making. It was enjoyable expressing my thoughts on the performance I'm still experiencing with my system. I wish you much luck with your decision and setup. And I hope you can achieve the same experiences I'm receiving or better. Take care and have a great, safe and healthy New Year.

P.S. So sorry, getting back to your question after re-reading what you want to achieve. Those Logan speakers would be a great choice as they are more directed towards the user. Though I wouldn't know how they would sync with the definitive ceiling center speaker. Subs don't matter in a setup, but all the other speakers do to a certain degree that may be minimal. I'd make sure all the speakers are set to 80hz first and let the sub handle all the frequencies below 80hz. And on a different note, 90% of your movie sounds will come from the front and center speakers. The sides and rears are very minimal in sound and are hardly used most of the time. Even in a 5 or 7 speaker setup. So those Martin speakers should really rock. If I had more room in my system, I probably would have went with those Martin Speakers for my fronts, but would also go, with a Martin center speaker mounted on the wall right below the t.v.

Also, your sub choice is excellant as well if it's not contained in a cabinet enclosure like my setup. But I would recommend a much larger speaker than 8". The 1500 watt power is perfect, but going for 10" or 12" would make a big difference in your basses reproduction of details and clarity at lower volume levels. Also, it's a fallacy to a certain degree that the larger the subs speaker, the louder it will be. Within the movie viewing realm, articulation and details are so very much important. And a larger speaker will make a noticeable difference in your sound quality, accuracy reproduction and movie experience. If your on a budjet, that's understandable. But I would wait to gather more finances and shoot for a larger sub speaker diameter. I'd hate for you to make a wrong choice. I wouldn't go less than 10" no matter how big or small the room is. I'd highly recommend a 12". You won't regret it. I wish you well again and wish you luck on your decision.
Hey, first off, thanks so much for providing all that detail. It was very informative and useful to get a first hand experience.

After reading through some of your suggestions, I agree that if I did go with the Martin Logan's, I should stay consistent all around. I plan on doing this setup in an attic type room. The plan for this room is to be more like a lounge than a true home theater setup. I probably will use this room more to watch sporting events than movies, but will like to have the ability to have an in theater like experience anytime I pop in a blu-ray. The challenges I face are:

- there is a slant in the ceiling so I have limited space to work with.
- the room isn't sound proof so it would be ideal to have in ceiling v. in wall or floor standing speakers.

The room is about 24 feet long horizontally and I have about 12 feet of the available 14 vertically before the slant in the ceiling. Not that you care but I've attached a mock up of my floor plan and how I envision doing the setup with definitive all around.

I initially was going to install in wall speakers but felt too much work would be involved to pad the walls I'd run the risk of vibration. That is why decided to go with the slim Martin's. However, the wall space I have for a screen would force me to get an acoustically transparent screen and I would only be able to get a screen large enough for a 100" display. In ceilings would let me get a regular screen as large as 120"

I've always been skeptical going with in ceiling speakers all around knowing that it will never match speakers that are closer to the ear level. However, I've had my eyes on the RSS and RCS's and reading your experience gave me hope that this could be a good alternative. I really like the fact that the speakers are enclosed as well.

Finally, I agree with your assessment of the sub but I wanted to get the smallest sub that could pack the biggest punch. I felt that the super cube could achieve just that. That is why I chose to go with that as opposed to a traditionally larger sub.

As always, your all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Setup
Front LCR - UIW RCS II
LR Surround - UIW RSS III
LR Rear - UIW RSS III
Projector - Epson 5030ub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1225737  
post #16 of 23 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 112
This is just me, but you have enough room to build a false wall and go with an AT screen and pull it forward about 2'. That would give you a lot more options for speakers. I am using RLS II in-wall speakers and am very happy with them, but if I could have built a false wall I would have gone that route.
post #17 of 23 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey, first off, thanks so much for providing all that detail. It was very informative and useful to get a first hand experience.

After reading through some of your suggestions, I agree that if I did go with the Martin Logan's, I should stay consistent all around. I plan on doing this setup in an attic type room. The plan for this room is to be more like a lounge than a true home theater setup. I probably will use this room more to watch sporting events than movies, but will like to have the ability to have an in theater like experience anytime I pop in a blu-ray. The challenges I face are:

- there is a slant in the ceiling so I have limited space to work with.
- the room isn't sound proof so it would be ideal to have in ceiling v. in wall or floor standing speakers.

The room is about 24 feet long horizontally and I have about 12 feet of the available 14 vertically before the slant in the ceiling. Not that you care but I've attached a mock up of my floor plan and how I envision doing the setup with definitive all around.

I initially was going to install in wall speakers but felt too much work would be involved to pad the walls I'd run the risk of vibration. That is why decided to go with the slim Martin's. However, the wall space I have for a screen would force me to get an acoustically transparent screen and I would only be able to get a screen large enough for a 100" display. In ceilings would let me get a regular screen as large as 120"

I've always been skeptical going with in ceiling speakers all around knowing that it will never match speakers that are closer to the ear level. However, I've had my eyes on the RSS and RCS's and reading your experience gave me hope that this could be a good alternative. I really like the fact that the speakers are enclosed as well.

Finally, I agree with your assessment of the sub but I wanted to get the smallest sub that could pack the biggest punch. I felt that the super cube could achieve just that. That is why I chose to go with that as opposed to a traditionally larger sub.

As always, your all thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Setup
Front LCR - UIW RCS II
LR Surround - UIW RSS III
LR Rear - UIW RSS III
Projector - Epson 5030ub
Very nice room setup. A lot of great setup possibilities. The sub your using will be fine for the type of viewing your going to be using it for. Generally, a sub can be placed anywhere in the room. It will create a full bass sound everywhere and you won't know which direction the bass is coming from. But if you were planning to do more heavy duty movie viewing, a single sub would be best placed in the middle of the screen between your fronts. A better option would be two subs. One on each side of the screen on the floor. I wish I had the room to do that.

I see the RCSII's are in perfect locations and the Martins would work too if you had the room on both sides of your screen. A full setup like my speaker setup would work perfectly as well. Your side speakers will work good and the rears are also in perfect position as well. The rear speakers of your rears will bounce off the rear walls and drive the sound to the back of your head as well as the front speakers of the rear speakers, driving the sound again to the back of your head. You can also hang Martin Slims on he back walls at ear level also and would probably be a better setup for you according to your room design if you dodn't mind the longer wiring. Two Martin Slims for the front and back speakers at ear level, one RCSII's for a center speaker and the two RSSIII's for the sides. That would also be a great setup as well. Lots of possibilities here. You can also get away with two rear standing floor speakers too. You just have to watch no one bumps them when entering or going to the bathroom. And the floor standing speakers also need to be at least 4 feet behind your head to work properly since there not bouncing the signals off the rear walls.

I assume the projector is mounted on the ceiling. I'd definitely be using 12 awg wiring for your build. A 300 foot role is very affordable. Get the two wire version that's sleeved. I used bananna clips for my connections but bare wires or spades work just as good. Very nice seating location as well.

120" screen? Wow, that would be awesome. If this would be your first projection setup, the darker the room, the better the picture quality will be. Light is a killer for projector viewing. Even though you can use a projector for any type of viewing, there really designed for movie viewing and not everyday viewing. Check to see what the life of the bulbs are and what they cost to replace them. Your projector will create a lot of heat and will warm up your room a lot. Don't let the small projector size full you. After about 150 hours of use, the colors will start to change and that's when it's time to change your bulbs. You may get 200+ hours out of them. Unless your projector is all digital instead of analog, then you should be fine. But I don't know the price of digital projectors and they may be pricey. I'm sure a 100"+ 4k, 5k, etc. LCD, LED, Plasma would be more costly but a good option if light is an issue.

I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway. I just want to educate you better and the things I've experienced through-out my life.

I'm sure whatever you choose, it will be a great choice. But remember, when your all finished with your setup, you'll never be truly finished as the surround bug will bite you and you'll never sleep right again as you will always be thinking of different setups and bettering your equipment. It never ends. After installing my system which I'm very happy with, I'm still planning for the future and possibly see a three lens projection system setup for my next build. L.M.A.O.

Anyway; as usual, I wish you great success in all your audio builds. When it's all finished, please post pictures of your before and after build as well as your new found experiences. Your postings will help others with their future builds. Also, if you use the Martins in your build as well as the projector, I would like to know about their performance for future builds as well.

Thanks again for contacting me on my build. I'm always seeking audio system builder friends to share experiences with. This is how we learn.

Take care again and I wish you well.

P.S. again, don't worry about your slanted ceiling. Your receivers calibration will correct that. Just make sure all the doors in your room are closed before starting the calibration setup.

Last edited by Cigarjohn47; Yesterday at 01:37 PM.
post #18 of 23 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

Hey, thanks once again for the detailed reply!

I thought about a false wall, but couldn't get the wife to agree to it....

I plan on using 1 sub and will see how the quality is. If needed, I will add a 2nd sub and just use Definitive's wireless kit to connect it to the receiver. However, I'm hoping one will do the trick.

The reason I cannot do in wall speakers in the back is because that entrance door is actually a sliding barn door. If it is left open, it will cover the speaker.

The projector will be in the ceiling and I have already looked into purchasing a spare lamp in case of a catastrophe. The 5030ub from Epson is actually one of their highest quality home theater projectors so I'm hoping I get what I paid for. A consultant from the Magnolia dept. at Best Buy said it was a very good projector to go with.

As far as lighting in the room, I plan to black out the window. There are 4 recessed (canned) lights and 2 table lamps. All of the lighting will be on a dimmer so I should be able to reduce the light as necessary.

I appreciate all the info and advice I've received. Based on all the possible suggestions, I think I'm going to stick with definitives all around since it will allow me to use a bigger screen and the technology will allow sound to travel well throughout the room.

I'll definitely be sure to take pics and post the transformation!
post #19 of 23 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey, thanks once again for the detailed reply!

I thought about a false wall, but couldn't get the wife to agree to it....

I plan on using 1 sub and will see how the quality is. If needed, I will add a 2nd sub and just use Definitive's wireless kit to connect it to the receiver. However, I'm hoping one will do the trick.

The reason I cannot do in wall speakers in the back is because that entrance door is actually a sliding barn door. If it is left open, it will cover the speaker.

The projector will be in the ceiling and I have already looked into purchasing a spare lamp in case of a catastrophe. The 5030ub from Epson is actually one of their highest quality home theater projectors so I'm hoping I get what I paid for. A consultant from the Magnolia dept. at Best Buy said it was a very good projector to go with.

As far as lighting in the room, I plan to black out the window. There are 4 recessed (canned) lights and 2 table lamps. All of the lighting will be on a dimmer so I should be able to reduce the light as necessary.

I appreciate all the info and advice I've received. Based on all the possible suggestions, I think I'm going to stick with definitives all around since it will allow me to use a bigger screen and the technology will allow sound to travel well throughout the room.

I'll definitely be sure to take pics and post the transformation!
That's great to hear. I'm excited for you. Wish I was there to assist you. If you have any questions with your speakers, ask for Chet or Chad; can't remembwr his name, he's very knowledgeable. Has helped me out numerous times. Definitive support is excellant as well. And even though the speakers are old, they still keep producing them and there still top seller speakers. Good luck with everything again.
post #20 of 23 Old Today, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That's great to hear. I'm excited for you. Wish I was there to assist you. If you have any questions with your speakers, ask for Chet or Chad; can't remembwr his name, he's very knowledgeable. Has helped me out numerous times. Definitive support is excellant as well. And even though the speakers are old, they still keep producing them and there still top seller speakers. Good luck with everything again.
So one small change to what I decided to go with, instead of doing 3 of the RCS II up front, I've decided to do the Front LR with the RCS II and use the Mythos 10 as my front center. That I'll have an ear level center speaker. As always, thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.
post #21 of 23 Unread Today, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
So one small change to what I decided to go with, instead of doing 3 of the RCS II up front, I've decided to do the Front LR with the RCS II and use the Mythos 10 as my front center. That I'll have an ear level center speaker. As always, thoughts and opinions are much appreciated.
I wouldn't, one of the main things about your Front Soundstage, besides overall quality of sound, is fluidity/consistency, you want the sound to pan as seamlessly as possible when crossing from one side to the other, having your center on a completely different plane could really distort this.
It's one thing to adjust for a drop or rise of a couple of feet for the sake of your image, but in-ceiling to on-wall back to in-ceiling it's asking a lot.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #22 of 23 Unread Today, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
I wouldn't, one of the main things about your Front Soundstage, besides overall quality of sound, is fluidity/consistency, you want the sound to pan as seamlessly as possible when crossing from one side to the other, having your center on a completely different plane could really distort this.
It's one thing to adjust for a drop or rise of a couple of feet for the sake of your image, but in-ceiling to on-wall back to in-ceiling it's asking a lot.
Thanks so much for this piece of advice, I never realized that and will stick to using in ceiling speakers all around.
post #23 of 23 Unread Today, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree with what Altlof said. Matched speakers really make a big difference. The RCSII as a center speaker is truly awesome. You will be amazed at how much sound it will produce being so high in the ceiling. Many times you will be watching tv and glancing up at the center speaker trying to determine how the voices sound like there coming from the center of your screen. After 2.8 months, I'm still amazed how the characters voices seem to come out of the center of the screen. Many times I find myself standing under the center speaker with total amazement. It's a truly illusional concept that will rock your world. Definitive really broke the mold when they invented this series of speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers