To swap out speakers or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I have been playing with the idea of changing out my HT setup. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V665 A/V Receiver with av123 rocket RS450 signature series fronts, RSC200 bigfoot center, and some ELT525 monitors for the rears. Center is great, never had a complaint about it and love the highs and mids of the 450's, but always felt the low end lacked regardless of EQ. I am in a slightly bigger place now and want some more volume out of my front stage and have been toying with the idea of swapping out either the whole system or just the front stage or maybe even just the left and right fronts.

My living room is 15' 6" x 20' with 9' ceilings. watching/listening is along the 15'6" and the couch is pretty much right against the wall. This will be primarily for a HT so TV and movie watching mostly, with occasional music. From some preliminary research I was looking at the Polk Audio TSi500 or the BIC Acoustech PL-89 or KEF Q700's, Definitive technologies BP10B, etc.... I dont want to go much higher than $1500, but am a little flexible. Would my budget allow for an upgrade from what I currently have or should I just stick with what I have? If so, any other suggestions for speakers would be much appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 AM

Liked: 17
Move your couch off the back wall about 1/3 into the room if you can. Then play with speaker placement of your fronts. They shouldn't be slammed up against the wall and should have at least a couple of feet all around to behave. Then decide. Good luck.

check this out.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
did i miss it, or did you not mention what subwoofer you have?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

I am familiar with the link you posted. I would love to move the couch off the back wall but i need the distance or i am wayyyy to close to the 120" projected image and I am not going to change projector settings as everythings been mounted and painted already, viewing distance from the screen is more of a priority for me than audio. The front speakers are 2ft from the walls.

I did not mention the sub but it's a single 12" peerless xxls or xls (i forget which) in a custom ported box with 300w available.

Thanks for the replies smile.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

any other suggestions?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM

The Kef q900s are supposed to be pretty good for around 1499 or so. I listened to a pair and they were too new to judge them. The tweater sounded like it needed more time to settle down. If you want a pair of speakers that will rock the house and still sound aery and refined check out the Focal Chorus 816 or 826. Pretty good sound and popular.

You seem to know what you want, and what it's gonna cost to get there. Can you get to 2500$.... your options will open way up. Tannoy, Focal, B&W etc. Pretty big jump in performance. Other than that I would suggest waiting to see how your speakers behave with the new receiver and mess with the crossover settings to the sub. Might get more oomph if you set them to small and cross them over at 80hz-100hz or so. I hate having to do that though. Subs aren't as "musical" as full range towers. Tough one.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I could get to $2500 in a couple of months, honestly I am not in a huge rush to get anything right now, so I can wait a few months if necessary. Only problem I hate when waiting is going back and forth in my selection, something goes on sale for a great deal, etc... haha

I found a KEF dealer so I plan to stop by there this week and have a listen, but he said he only has the Q700's. I havent seen the Focal's you mentioned, will go look them up now, thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM

try em out! have fun.

local focal dealer in raleigh

Audio Exchange
621 Hillsborough St, NC27603 Raleigh U.S.A.
T. (919) 828-6369
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post

try em out! have fun.
local focal dealer in raleigh
Audio Exchange
621 Hillsborough St, NC27603 Raleigh U.S.A.
T. (919) 828-6369

Thanks again, hopefully they will have a set to demo, will give them a call later today.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page