7.1 front height setup question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So, I have a denon 1910 and I just noticed that I can set up front heights as 7.1. Currently, 5.1 is working well. Rears are about 2 feet above ear height LR are ear height and center is about 1 ft below ear height but angled up so it points directly at er height of seating position. My question is, before I go and borrow 2 speakers from a buddy (same model as my rears) and set all this up, will I get a benefit if these 2 front highs if they were placed just to the side of the TV "inside" the width of the LR channels? Height will be on the low boy where the center and TV sits. Any opinions and advice on this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

...will I get a benefit if these 2 front highs if they were placed just to the side of the TV "inside" the width of the LR channels? Height will be on the low boy where the center and TV sits.
You're going to place your height speakers inside your front soundstage AND lower than your left/right speakers? And you're expecting speakers placed that low to give you the impression of height, like sounds coming from above you?

Sanjay
post #3 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 AM

Liked: 11
Well.. they are supposed to be Height speakers.. placing them lower than the fronts I'd think would just be a way to waste 2 speakers. Maybe front wides would be easier to accomodate for you?
post #4 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Don't bother. Height speakers in a PLIIz setup produce very subtle audio cues to begin with - placing them anywhere near the main LR speakers means they will be completely drowned out 99.9% of the time, and the .1% of the time you do hear them, the sound will appear to be directional due to their incorrect placement. What makes the height channels work is a certain amount of angular separation from the main LR speakers. I would go as far as saying that the minimum 3ft/1m vertical separation recommended by the Dolby guidelines isn't quite enough (they're barely audible even in that configuration). Around ~4-5ft. higher, and a bout a foot wider than the mains would be close to an ideal setup.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I agree with tezster. When I use my heights, they are about 4 feet above my mains and I still have trouble hearing them. I have to boost the height speakers a bit just to be able to hear them. Having them any less would be pointless and would be taking power from your other speakers for no reason.

I still have my heights set up, but the way my receiver works, I can only have 7.1 surround or 7.1 heights being driven. I just set up 7.1 surround, and I can tell you that is much better than 7.1 heights, so if you can go that route, I strongly advise it.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #6 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the feedback. So my location limits me to 5.1. There just isn't enough room in the living room for a 7.1 surround setup. Thought I may play around with front height since the Denon 1913 can offer this. Of course, the TV is in front of a half-wall (stairs) so I would prefer not to hand speakers on the ceiling and thought I could just put these 2 speakers on the TV stand itself. Does not look like this is possible in my setup.

btw, what sort of sound comes out of the front heights from a 5.1 setup? Does it phantom / mirror some rear channel info and send them out? The best I can do is put these on top of my front L-R towers lol. Guess I should just be happy with my 5.1 setup? Come on, there is always more tinkering to do! smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:

Thought I may play around with front height since the Denon 1913 can offer this.
You still can, just not with the speaker positions you described. Think about it: placing a pair of Height speakers lower than your L/R speakers would defeat the entire purpose of Height speakers. Those sounds are supposed to come from above you. How would that happen when those speakers are lower than your mains? It would be like placing your centre channel speaker on the back wall and then wondering why you're not getting stable dialogue imaging from the middle of your L/R speakers.
Quote:

Of course, the TV is in front of a half-wall (stairs) so I would prefer not to hand speakers on the ceiling and thought I could just put these 2 speakers on the TV stand itself. Does not look like this is possible in my setup.
If you can't use the front wall, then how about placing them on the side walls? Split the angle between your front speakers and surround speakers, and place the Height speakers at this location, mounted as high up as possible. You'll have to adjust the volume levels of the Height speakers by ear, until you get the effect you want. The default settings are too subtle to make any difference.
Quote:

what sort of sound comes out of the front heights from a 5.1 setup? Does it phantom / mirror some rear channel info and send them out?
PLIIz extracts decorrelated (out of phase) info from the surround channels and sends that content to the Height speakers. Out of phase information doesn't really phantom image anywhere, so that's a good choice to use for Height channels since it doesn't contain directional content, just ambient sounds that can be used to create greater envelopment in the vertical direction (above you). Your surround speakers already create greater envelopment in the horizontal direction (around you).

Sanjay
post #8 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the continued feedback. Given the living room space, there just isn't an appropriate spot to add another 2 speakers. So sounds like my only option fr 7.1 is to add there right on top of the L-R. From the sound of things, this won't be beneficial. Then it's time to save up and upgrade the center channel then!

There is always something to tinker with lol Thanks gang!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page