Help: speaker advise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a noob seeking some help -

I live overseas, where taxes and shipping at least double speaker costs, few speakers available for serious demo'ing, and there is hardly any returns allowed. the best i can do is get answers from esteemed forum members!

And so, I've married an architect. My dear beloved wife is not a fan of electronics, and is not wild about me buying big speakers. No good deed goes unpunished...

We have a large living room - 16X16ft, 8.2 ceiling. One side of the living room is all glass. the other is open to our dining room (one big space). The speakers will be placed 8 ft apart, on top of a credenza (at listening height). We have a sonos 120 amp which we love very much and wish to keep. We use the system for music only (of all types and genres). We don't listen at high volumes - low to medium only.

I am considering a setup of either a pair of small bookshelves plus cheap sub, or bigger bookshelves (such as ascend 340's). Total price should be around 500$.

what speakers would you recommend? Which (cheap) sub do you recommend? would small omni speakers be better for this room?

Any input will be appreciated!

Yadin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Best to buy local brands to keep costs down. If you are in the UK, try KEF. Even their smaller units use their amazing coaxial tweeter/midrange drivers which maintain excellent, musical sound quality in lively rooms due to their smooth off-axis response.

Try them first without a sub, as when sitting on a credenza about a foot from the rear wall you will get a good dose of bass reinforcement.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Roger!
The only bookshelf Kefs sold here are the IQ3 and IQ30. Which is better?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I doubt there is any significant difference. It's just the IQ30 is the newer rendition, but the specs are virtually identical. Perhaps that means the IQ3 will be discounted. If so, there's your answer.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page