Recommend *small* surrounds to go with Ascend 3.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm upgrading the sound in my family room (it's an open great room) to give us better movie watching experience. I was originally just going to settle on 3.1, but of course now I'm hungry for more. biggrin.gif

My current speakers:
- Fronts = Ascend CBM-170SE
- Center = Ascend CMT-340SE Center
- Sub = Outlaw LFM-1 Plus

Powered by Denon AVR-1713

So far so good - sound is 1000x better than before.

Now for the help needed: I have some pillars to the side and slightly behind the couch which is the main seating area. I'd like to place some SMALL surrounds there. But they need to be very small and reasonably priced. Due to the piller shape/architecture, flush mounts are not an option. I'll be mounting with a bracket.

Given that this isn't a "true home theater," and I'm not an audiophile, can you recommend some options that will blend okay timbre-wise, and will be fairly small but workable?

Please help!

Edit: Just to give you an idea - I was looking for something small and non-descript like these Polk Audio OWM3s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
how small are we talking? one option would be to get the Ascend 340 bookshelf pair for the front and move the 170Se to the rear, unless those are too big (600 dollars for the pair, but then you would have 340s across the front and have a true matched frontstage).
HSU and SVS both make some smaller bookshelf speakers that might do the trick and recently the Infinity Primus p153 speaker has been on sale for under 100/pr.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

how small are we talking? one option would be to get the Ascend 340 bookshelf pair for the front and move the 170Se to the rear, unless those are too big (600 dollars for the pair, but then you would have 340s across the front and have a true matched frontstage).
HSU and SVS both make some smaller bookshelf speakers that might do the trick and recently the Infinity Primus p153 speaker has been on sale for under 100/pr.

Thanks for the quick reply. I edited my post to give you an idea. Small cubes are smaller than I need, but the 170s are definitely way too big. So trying to find something in between. Maybe half the size of the 170s?? If they were going on a side wall or something, I could probably get away with using the 170s (or if it were a dedicated media room). But on a pillar, where it is on the floorplan (the pillars kind of divide the family room from the kitchen) it just looks too huge. (I held it up and my wife and I agreed it was a no-go).

Thanks for your other recommendations. I'll give them a look. smile.gif

Other ideas are welcome...
post #4 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

since you already have ascends... how about using htm-200's? i used these for awhile as surrounds with a sierra-1 front stage and they did the job...

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
since you already have ascends... how about using htm-200's? i used these for awhile as surrounds with a sierra-1 front stage and they did the job...

That's an idea. I didn't realize these are smaller than the 170s. How big do these seem in person? I haven't seen any pics other than the website and I of course read the dimensions, but it's hard to tell what they will be like in person. I will try to find some owner pics online. Thanks for the idea.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
i have only heard the AA CMt340s and that speaker, my friend, is outstanding! my guess is that so are the others...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

i have only heard the AA CMt340s and that speaker, my friend, is outstanding! my guess is that so are the others...

Yes! I have never heard vocals and dialog so clear. smile.gif I'm loving the set up so far...
post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepr00f View Post

That's an idea. I didn't realize these are smaller than the 170s. How big do these seem in person? I haven't seen any pics other than the website and I of course read the dimensions, but it's hard to tell what they will be like in person. I will try to find some owner pics online. Thanks for the idea.
Here's a pic of one mounted over a doorway;

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #9 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepr00f View Post

Quote:

^^^

in appearance, they are significantly smaller than the 170... a good "size comparison" for the 200's would be a large kleenex box... tape a kleenex box where you want the speaker to be, and that will give you a basic idea... you can even spray paint the box black to make it even more realistic... tongue.gif

i don't think you'd be disappointed from a performance perspective with them... like i said, i was happy using them with the sierra's... i beleive that curtis still is, judging from his pic... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

in appearance, they are significantly smaller than the 170... a good "size comparison" for the 200's would be a large kleenex box... tape a kleenex box where you want the speaker to be, and that will give you a basic idea... you can even spray paint the box black to make it even more realistic... tongue.gif
i don't think you'd be disappointed from a performance perspective with them... like i said, i was happy using them with the sierra's... i beleive that curtis still is, judging from his pic... smile.gif
Correct on all accounts! smile.gif

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I do probably have a small amazon box that I could modify to be the exact dimensions and hold it up to the wall. Great idea. (Wife only buys those square kleenex boxes, lol).

Anyway - looks like I might have to add these to the xmas wish list. We'll see.

Thanks again for the input!
post #12 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Another vote from me on the Ascend 200s for surrounds. I have the 170/340 combo up front like you, and 200s match up perfectly..

Jeffer65
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page