Need Help with Sound Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
could someone help me determine which of these cheaper 2.1 speaker systems will provide the best sound quality?

http://www.amazon.com/Edifier-USA-M1380-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B004N31D9W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-VS4621-Computer-Speaker/dp/B0038W0NEU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-1250-Speaker-System/dp/B0056BPUQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355248521&sr=8-1&keywords=Genius+SW-G2.1+1250

my expectations would say that Altec's speakers are the best and that the Genius speakers are the worst but the reviews would say the opposite so im not sure what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Buy all three on a credit card, listen to them in your own environment for a few days, and use your ears to tell you which you like the best. Then return the speakers you didn't like as much. Easy Peasy...

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #3 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

that actually doesn't sound easy at all as i will be ordering them online hence the amazon links. that sounds a lot more like a pain in the butt than easy peasy. im asking based on specs alone which system should provide the best sound quality
post #4 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Well, there is NO answer to your question....you can put a pair of speakers in front of 100 people, and some will like them, some will not! look at any speaker thread on this site...someone recommends a speaker or speaker system, then someone else trahses that recommedation!
None of the systems you have listed are good speaker companies, fwiw!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #5 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

well than i am asking for opinion then. why are people so quick to troll rather than try to help? i realize that these are not fantastic speakers i state that blatantly in the original post. i realize different people will have different preferences for audio quality but i am asking in the most general way which of these three systems would someone who knows more about audio specs say is the best. also if i were concerned with brands this post would say "which company makes the best speakers?" but i just checked and thats not what it says. thanks for the help, oh thats right i got none. flame on buddy.
post #6 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Vigneau View Post

that actually doesn't sound easy at all as i will be ordering them online hence the amazon links. that sounds a lot more like a pain in the butt than easy peasy. im asking based on specs alone which system should provide the best sound quality

hiya Dan, and welcome to AVS forums.

Dmark gave great advice. It may be a bit of work on your part returning 2 pair of speakers, but you'll KNOW which one YOU like the BEST ! It's too subjective for anyone else to answer, and it's not $$ out of pocket that way, to have all 3 delivered to your door, then you do the work listening and decide. I think that's a great idea. esp. dealing with Amazon and their (relatively) painless return process.

Specs alone wont tell which sounds better. sorry.

Joseph

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #7 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

ok ive already ruled out the buying all three thing and returning them. i am not willing to go through that much effort or utilize that amount of capital on what will be around a 50 dollar purchase. I have little to zero experience with audio equipment and i would just like a more experienced individual to give me opinions, backed with reasoning, for which speakers they believe will perform the best. im not talking about listener preference or what kind of environment i will be listening to the speakers in. i am asking this question in the most general way that i can so that the next post may actual be useful information for my intents and purposes.
post #8 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

it is too cash out of pocket and its three unboxings, three setups, and two returns and i have never shipped an item in my life because i dont sell anything. i am a college student asking what i thought was a fairly simple question
post #9 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry if my reply sounded rude in any way.I have a set of cheap altec lansing computer speakers on my work computer VS2320- they suck for anything other than an occassional CNN video! I haven't heard the other two systems you link and all i can say is that they will likely sound better than the Bose Companion II speakers (I have those and I cannot even listen to CNN on them!)
if you want decent audio quality, you won't get it for 50 bucks...

post #10 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I guess the only way to answer that is by hearing all three, and I doubt anyone here has. IMO, I'd get the first one, because the other 2 are too ugly anyway. eek.gif

and it weighs the most. I don't see any other specs that matter listed for any of them, and they may or may not be accurate.

Yes, your question was simple, unfortunately, the answer isn't. It isn't really answerable, at all, as asked.
Joseph

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #11 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Liked: 17
FWIW I would go with the genius setup of those, but be too ashamed to tell anyone or turn them up..... tongue.gif

There is much more to choose from at sites like newegg.com or tigerdirect.com it you are going for online shopping.

For 50$ I would go with a used 2.1 HTIB box setup and make it work.

Good luck.

Powered desktop monitors would be worlds better for you and not throw away in 2-3 years, as any of these will be.

Check out the audioengine line of pc speakers. Much better than the boom and tizz offerings most elsewhere.
Dan Vigneau likes this.
post #12 of 53 Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post

FWIW I would go with the genius setup of those, but be too ashamed to tell anyone or turn them up..... tongue.gif
There is much more to choose from at sites like newegg.com or tigerdirect.com it you are going for online shopping.
For 50$ I would go with a used 2.1 HTIB box setup and make it work.
Good luck.
Powered desktop monitors would be worlds better for you and not throw away in 2-3 years, as any of these will be.
Check out the audioengine line of pc speakers. Much better than the boom and tizz offerings most elsewhere.

The Audioengine A5's are an excellent little speaker, but they are in the $300 range.

If you can go a little higher, I've heard the Swan M10 (trio set) for $129 and to me they sound very good for the price.
Dan Vigneau likes this.
post #13 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

you guys are all basically saying sound quality is impossible to determine without having listened to every speaker. Its like you are all saying that if I had posted one set of 50$ speakers and then a pair of speakers made by Wilson Audio you all still wouldve said that its impossible to determine which would be better based on specs alone without listening to them. Which is bs because we all know that the thousands of dollars wilson speakers are better. so what makes one set of speakers have better sound quality than others?
post #14 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Do you have the plots for frequency response from -90 to +90 degrees off-axis as well as the waterfall plot, THD measurements, cabinet resonance measurements, and resistance chart?

If so: It's likely I could give a probable answer to your question. If not, there's a lack of data. You would do best in that case to go by the most positively reviewed.

Personally: I suspect I would consider them varying levels of "horrible".
Quote:

so what makes one set of speakers have better sound quality than others?

Low resonance / lack of ringing. Flat frequency response including off-axis. Sufficient volume (dynamic range).
Dan Vigneau likes this.
post #15 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Liked: 16
Nobody is trolling. They are trying to help you. You need to understand specs don't indicate sound quality. Besides, most of the time sound quality is greatly affected by the room and the listeners ears/taste. I agreed 100% with the idea to buy all three and keep the best. That is the best method, even better than shopping brick and mortar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

i am not going to buy all three so thanks for yet another useless comment. i have stated this several times. wether it is the best method or not i am not doing it. JerryLove you are probably the first person to answer this question in a logical manner. however I have previously stated that I know next to nothing about audio and all I have for you to look at is the amazon links. However, im sure the information you are looking for is out there and that is why I have posted this question. Even if I found the data you are talking about I wouldnt know what to do with it so the point of this post is to ask for more experienced people to do a little research into these three systems and give me their best educated answer as to which they believe will provide the best sound quality. I have said over and over that I don't care about the environment i will have the speakers in or what the listeners preference will be. I am talking about base line best quality of sound reguardless of preference or environment. maybe no one is trolling but there is certainly no one paying attention to what im saying or helping.
post #17 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I wouldnt be considering this cheap of speakers if i was at liberty to buy all three and test them out so stop telling me that its the best method. I agree it is the best method but im not going to do it nor is a 50 dollar purchase worth that kind of effort. maybe this is the best advice people can give but its not what im looking for so im taking it as trolling. please no more posts about buying all three, listener preference, or environment. wilson audio speakers are clearly better than all three of these even though i doubt anyone here has purchased or listened to them. so what makes people know they are better other than speculation and reviews? utilize that same logic, whatever it may be, to tell me which of this systems "SHOULD" provide the best sound quality.
post #18 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
I'm not saying you need to interpret the data; I'd be happy to help with that.

The problem is that the data I requested is simply not available for these speakers. It's rare for publishers to present the waterfall plots and off-axis performance; and while some review sites to get this information (one of the uses of Stereophile); I am not aware of a single one which would have drawn this data for these speakers.

Yes. I could likely tell you which will sound best with sufficient measurements but no, I don't think the needed measurements exist for the speakers in question.

If I had to guess (and this is just a guess without measurements) I would go with the Altec Lansing (despite it having the lowest review rating... crowds are pretty smart). It's the only 3-way design. I worry about the top frequencies on the 3" driver used by the other brand.
Dan Vigneau likes this.
post #19 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
These are $50 speakers. It should not be a critical decision. As someone else said, go with the set that has the most positive reviews and be done with it. EDIT After briefly viewing them all these are my thoughts. The Edifier is an unknown brand and doesnt have many reviews-Pass. Altec Lansing is a good brand bt reviews are all over the place and some complain about quality. Also the most expensive. You are paying for the name-Pass. Genius has the most reviews and are nearly all 4 or 5 stars. If I were making the purchase I would get the Genius. Hope this is helpful.
Dan Vigneau likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #20 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:

you guys are all basically saying sound quality is impossible to determine without having listened to every speaker. Its like you are all saying that if I had posted one set of 50$ speakers and then a pair of speakers made by Wilson Audio you all still wouldve said that its impossible to determine which would be better based on specs alone without listening to them.
Don't be so sure. Price does not indicate quality, and very few manufacturers provide specs that are either accurate or meaningful, Wilson included.
If you want to buy a cheap speaker go to Best Buy or the like and listen to them.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #21 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

People are trying to help by being honest with you about the three options. Your responses, particularly as a new member, aren't going to encourage anyone to assist further.

people are being honest but they aren't providing answers to the questions i am asking they are just saying whatever they want to say regaurdless of what i am requesting. yes i am a new member, will i ever revisit this site after figuring out what to do in this situation? no. i am not trying to be rude but i am getting very aggrivated with the types of responses i am receiving.

i know that price does not indicate quality im asking what does.

and thank you Bond for providing some actually useful feedback.
post #22 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

wilson audio speakers are clearly better than all three of these even though i doubt anyone here has purchased or listened to them. so what makes people know they are better other than speculation and reviews? utilize that same logic, whatever it may be, to tell me which of this systems "SHOULD" provide the best sound quality.

You can't use the same logic comparing Wilson to these speakers. Wilson has provided tons of specs and they've been reviewed/measured by some quality pro reviews/magazines/websites. The speakers you have listed provide NOTHING to base anything off of, how can anyone tell you which sounds better if NO ONE has listened to all three? Theres no info to base any kind of judgement on them, there for its just a guess as to which one sounds better. Your just going to have to buy one that you think looks the best based on posted reviews or drive to Best Buy, Microcenter, or another local computer store and see what they have and listen to them. Then find them on Amazon or another website and see if they are cheaper.
post #23 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

say i posed a new question, like klipsch pro media, swan m10s, logitech 2300s, or audioengine A2s (yes i know there is no sub) would people be able to provide better feedback because this is a price range that people may be more familiar with?
post #24 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

You can't use the same logic comparing Wilson to these speakers. Wilson has provided tons of specs and they've been reviewed/measured by some quality pro reviews/magazines/websites. The speakers you have listed provide NOTHING to base anything off of, how can anyone tell you which sounds better if NO ONE has listened to all three? Theres no info to base any kind of judgement on them, there for its just a guess as to which one sounds better. Your just going to have to buy one that you think looks the best based on posted reviews or drive to Best Buy, Microcenter, or another local computer store and see what they have and listen to them. Then find them on Amazon or another website and see if they are cheaper.

what you are saying makes a lot of sense. what bothers me is that there is no concrete way to determine which speakers are better than others, it is all speculative. surely there is something about the hardware used to create wilson speakers that makes them better than their competitors. I would rather base my opinions off things that are concrete rather than the opinions of others in magazines/reviews/websites.

there is nothing on their amazon links but surely there could be more data else where but i dont even bother looking cuz i wouldnt know how to interpret it.

reviews are subjective to what other speakers people have heard therefore these amazon reviews could all be uselessly compared to ******** speakers or just not having any at all
post #25 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

if what makes speakers the best is COMPLETELY based on opinion then how would people even know how to build better speakers?
post #26 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

There really are two bits of information that can be shared about speaker X...

1. if it has been professionally reviewed, there will be spects, measurements, etc about that speaker, not to mention OPINIONS that come from people who make audio their livelihood. My guess is these systems have not been professionally reviewed
2. Owners can step in and say "I have heard that system in my room and I think..."

The second set of speakers you listed are much more widely known and my guess is that several of them have been professionally reviewed...

Since there is likely NO one person who has heard the three systems you listed in your OP, and combine with that that those systems are NOT really considered "quality audio"...there really isn't much to share. I shared my experience with a similar Altec Lansing system (looking at it right now) and was pretty frank about the lack of good sound coming from it. You are asking people to tell you which pile of crap smell the least bad... smile.gif

post #27 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

i care about number 1 not number 2. whether there are those kinds of reviews for these speakers or not idk that's why i came to a place where i thought people would know better than me.

"You are asking people to tell you which pile of crap smell the least bad... "

you are absolutely right but im not really getting an answer.

so far everyone that has provided even a sliver of useful information has leaned towards the genius speakers.

this is the most frustrating research i have ever done. even when searching for "best 2.1 system" regardless of price range there isn't anything that comes close to a definitive answer. all results are forums like this where an unexperienced person likes me asks the question and then all this audiophiles come in and suggest powered desktop monitors or an amp and bookshelve speaker set up but no one ever answers the posted question in a simple definitive way. i know that the speakers i have listed are all crap but say i said no price limit what is the best 2.1 system out there? i still doubt anyone could give me an answer.
post #28 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Its not just opinions its the fact that many quality speakers like Wilson, Focal, Klipsch, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, PSB, Kef, RBH all have been tested and measured. They have graphs available that can get you picture of how it will sound. Freq response (flat, peaky, ect.) off axis response, ect.

Heres a good example http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srtmeas.html

Good manufacturers provide that kind of data to give people an idea on how the speaker might sound and whether it was competantly designed. Thats how guys on here can make some kind of determination on whether its a good speaker, a bad speaker or a great speaker.

Also price doesn't equal better. Theres many speakers out there some much cheaper that measure better or more ideally than Wilson does. While Wilson is nice speakers just because they are uber expensive and fancy doesn't equal better.

Your looking at $50 speakers, the manufacturer isn't going to put much effort into sound quality and craftsman ship they way higher end speakers will.

You'll also see terms like bright, warm, bloated, ect... Bright is that the listener thinks the highs are louder than the rest of the speaker, making it seem uncomfortable to listen to for any lenght of time. Warm means that the listener has to turn the volume up to get the desired high freq response (like the highs are somewhat muted compared to the woofers output) Bloated usually means bass is way too much and doesn't sound right.

What people was trying to get across earlier is that some users will perfer the bright speaker or the warm speaker or vice versa.

IMO those 3 your listed wil probably all sound about the same and I would base my discision on long term reviews about how the speaker has held up to normal use and if it still works after a year or what ever time lenght.
MarsianMan likes this.
post #29 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

" i still doubt anyone could give me an answer."
Bingo...THERE ISN'T A RIGHT (OR WRONG) ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION....only opinion.

post #30 of 53 Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

" i still doubt anyone could give me an answer."
Bingo...THERE ISN'T A RIGHT (OR WRONG) ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION....only opinion.

well why should i trust anyones opinion? opinion based in educated details is different but not just "this is better cuz i like how it sounds"
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page