Can I take speakers on an airplane? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brothers coming to visit me and I thought maybe I could have him bring my bookshelves from home instead of having to buy new ones. I was gonna call southwest tomorrow and see if they allow home audio speakers to be checked in as luggage, but just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with this. Also, even if they do allow it, do I run any type of risk as far as them being damaged by whatever machines they use to scan and check bags for bombs or whatever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Pack them well, mark them as fragile, and hope...

post #3 of 11 Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

My brothers coming to visit me and I thought maybe I could have him bring my bookshelves from home instead of having to buy new ones. I was gonna call southwest tomorrow and see if they allow home audio speakers to be checked in as luggage, but just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with this. Also, even if they do allow it, do I run any type of risk as far as them being damaged by whatever machines they use to scan and check bags for bombs or whatever?

If they're not small speakers, you'll pay an arm and a leg for air freight.

They'll almost certainly be subject to x-rays. The TSA can open any package, without cause, for closer inspection and the wiring and magnets inside may lead them to do so. If they do, will your brother repackage them at the airport? If they decide you can't ship them, will your brother miss his flight? Leave the speakers at the airport?

It's simpler to use a parcel service: UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS, etc.. Their flights don't carry passengers and aren't subject to those stringent security measures.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 32
Just ship Fedex. Letting them travel through the airlines, is like lending a drunk friend your girlfriend, or car. You may get them back, you may not, but they will end up damaged or gone forever.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Totally incorrect about the TSA opening them up, just because they have magnets, etc.. Tons of electronic equipment travels as baggage for companies on passenger airlines, and no further inspections are done to them, as they are done for other baggage.

Now if you want to piss off the TSA, take and make a Peanut butter sandwich, then place in a baggie. It shows up the same as explosives made with Peanut oil., Then add in a loose coil of wire and a 9 volt battery, they will go nuts, when seen on x-ray.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Totally incorrect about the TSA opening them up, just because they have magnets, etc..
There are restrictions on magnetic materials on aircraft. http://www.intemag.com/shipping_magnets_by_air.html
Quote:
Now if you want to piss off the TSA, take and make a Peanut butter sandwich, then place in a baggie. It shows up the same as explosives made with Peanut oil., Then add in a loose coil of wire and a 9 volt battery, they will go nuts, when seen on x-ray.
If you're stupid enough to pull a stunt like that you deserve the five years you'll get at Club Fed.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM

I used to work for the airlines, and speakers do not meet that criteria. Try again Yoda.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM

And as for the Peanut butter sandwich joke, it is just that a joke. Geash lighten up sometime. Prople like you tend to take stuff way too serious and cannot see the humor sometimes.

And again, speakers and other electronic equipment is shipped all of the time on aircraft, and do not meet the criteria that you pulled off the web.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 11
I took satalites in my carry-on luggage once. The guy watching the screen called over his supervisor and asked what they were, supervisor said "looks like speakers, theyre okay." and i went on my way.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1213
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

I used to work for the airlines, and speakers do not meet that criteria. Try again Yoda.
Tell that to speaker and driver manufacturers who have to deal with the matter first hand. I was made aware of the issue by speakerhardware.com, who has had driver shipments rejected by airlines when they did not meet maximum flux leakage requirements. And airline security is never a joking matter. I lost friends on 9/11. Did you? Or is that a funny subject too? Hey, how about having some real fun, let's all go down to the nearest shopping mall wearing masks and carrying fake M15s!

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Tell that to speaker and driver manufacturers who have to deal with the matter first hand. I was made aware of the issue by speakerhardware.com, who has had driver shipments rejected by airlines when they did not meet maximum flux leakage requirements. And airline security is never a joking matter. I lost friends on 9/11. Did you? Or is that a funny subject too? Hey, how about having some real fun, let's all go down to the nearest shopping mall wearing masks and carrying fake M15s!

Agree 100% Bill.

The other element being ignored is the layered security. The TSA folks managing the passenger scanning lines aren't the only layer, and they certainly aren't always aware of the less frequently encountered items like those potentially containing magnets. A lot of airline employees don't know the details either.

You read stories weekly about people clowning around in the airport, getting pulled by security and at minimum going through a lot of unnecessary hassle while disrupting the rest of the traveling public. You'd think people would realize it isn't a joking matter.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page